MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Maintenance & Repair (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair-53/)
-   -   Intermittent false start! Dealership might be screwing me? (Please help) (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/606615-intermittent-false-start-dealership-might-be-screwing-me-please-help.html)

lolwatbro 09-14-2015 06:43 PM

Intermittent false start! Dealership might be screwing me? (Please help)

There are cliffs at the end.

Originally, my 2004 350z with about ~70k miles came with a cheap ebay key. 3 months after purchase my car would intermittently not start. It would crank, my battery seemed to have enough voltage, everything checked up except for the anti theft system that cut off my fuel pump. I went to a nissan dealership and they determined that they key was the culprit, so i got a brand new nissan certified key and went on my way.

7 months later the problem returned, i went to a different nissan dealership (back home) and they checked my nats, said it didn't have a problem, so they wanted to replace the IMMU ring in the ignition cylinder. If that didnt work then they wanted to continue on and replace the BCM, and if that didn't work then unfortunately the ECM afterso.

The codes the brought up were as follows:
P1615 (Difference of key)
U1000 (CAN COMM CIRCUIT)

I didnt have enough money at the time and the problem seemed to go away for about two months. When the problem came back, i went to a third nissan dealership and they tried testing for codes and ONLY the difference of key code came up.

They then suggested i replace my key AGAIN since maybe the key the first nissan dealership gave me might be faulty :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'm now frustrated and confused as what to do. I know its a long read but how am i supposed to know whats wrong if a dealership cant even figure it out? I don't want to spend money where not needed.

Cliffs:
-Intermittent False start (cranks, wont start)
-Got a new key (had an old ebay key before), worked fine for 7 months
-problem came back, one nissan dealership told me to replace an IMMU ring, --another told me to replace my key AGAIN
-very confused

google wouldn't help much on the whole diagnosis aspect

PP08HR 09-14-2015 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by lolwatbro (Post 10652677)

Originally, my 2004 350z with about ~70k miles came with a cheap ebay key. 3 months after purchase my car would intermittently not start. It would crank, my battery seemed to have enough voltage, everything checked up except for the anti theft system that cut off my fuel pump. I went to a nissan dealership and they determined that they key was the culprit, so i got a brand new nissan certified key and went on my way.

7 months later the problem returned, i went to a different nissan dealership (back home) and they checked my nats, said it didn't have a problem, so they wanted to replace the IMMU ring in the ignition cylinder. If that didnt work then they wanted to continue on and replace the BCM, and if that didn't work then unfortunately the ECM afterso.

The codes the brought up were as follows:
P1615 (Difference of key)
U1000 (CAN COMM CIRCUIT)

I didnt have enough money at the time and the problem seemed to go away for about two months. When the problem came back, i went to a third nissan dealership and they tried testing for codes and ONLY the difference of key code came up.

They then suggested i replace my key AGAIN since maybe the key the first nissan dealership gave me might be faulty :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'm now frustrated and confused as what to do. I know its a long read but how am i supposed to know whats wrong if a dealership cant even figure it out? I don't want to spend money where not needed.

Cliffs:
-Intermittent False start (cranks, wont start)
-Got a new key (had an old ebay key before), worked fine for 7 months
-problem came back, one nissan dealership told me to replace an IMMU ring, --another told me to replace my key AGAIN
-very confused

google wouldn't help much on the whole diagnosis aspect

Sounds like 2nd dealership told you what you needed to do. Why do you think they're screwing you? Out of what a key?

lolwatbro 09-14-2015 07:42 PM

The third dealership couldn't find the same code that the second dealership found.

PP08HR 09-14-2015 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by lolwatbro (Post 10652698)
The third dealership couldn't find the same code that the second dealership found.

Yeah it may not have showed up this time. The ECU runs self diagnostics and if it doesn't detect the code again it will clear it.

Were the dealerships ever able to "duplicate" the problem? That makes it difficult to diagnose as well.

If you have 2 programmed good keys then try the other one when this occurs. If it works keep doing that until it fails. They'd certainly be able to find it then. Otherwise it would be just good guesses.

Sleepiedaze 09-15-2015 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by lolwatbro (Post 10652677)
U1000 (CAN COMM CIRCUIT)

I got this code this weekend. ended up being my cam angle sensors. would cause the car to not fire up. or to stall at a light. would happen randomly.

Check engine light would not come on since it was intermittent. I am starting to notice that on Z33. if the part hasn't fully failed the check engine light or code wont appear so quickly.

Aprilmh1628 09-14-2020 06:19 PM

Help!

My car is doing the exact same thing. Did you ever get a repair? What fixed it? Help!

travlee 09-15-2020 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Aprilmh1628 (Post 11034724)
My car is doing the exact same thing. Did you ever get a repair? What fixed it? Help!

5 years late to the party and op hasnt logged in for 4

Jonathan Prieto 04-25-2021 01:43 AM

Lol we need to know how and if you fixed it 🤣.....
if you ever get back on this site......... 10 years later

😴

Hello...
hellllooo..

dkmura 04-25-2021 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Aprilmh1628 (Post 11034724)

You posted a request for help a year ago, but never replied to your own thread. Now you're camping onto this thread while your car is not doing "the exact same thing" as the OP's. Why not provide ALL your info (including mileage, mods, what you've done to try to repair/diagnose this and what exact codes you're pulling) to get some more help. You should also participate in the thread itself and reply to those who have taken the time to post in the thread.

Otherwise, there's little chance any of us will be able to engage with you on a potential repair to your ZR.

jack mehoff2 10-09-2021 04:58 AM

Possible solution for this old ass intermittent start

I have a G35 every now and then I have the same starting issue. Usually when I do something out of the ordinary before I get in the car . , for example if I reach in the window and push the unlock button to get in the car, she will not start because she thinks I'm stealing her. It's happened a few times. Somebody told me when that happens just roll all the windows up, shut all the doors, lock it and unlock it with the key fob, open the driver door and shut it again, now she starts right up with no problem.