MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Maintenance & Repair (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair-53/)
-   -   Car won't start, cranks but no start. (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/609131-car-wont-start-cranks-but-no-start.html)

tclark90 02-01-2016 12:40 PM

Car won't start, cranks but no start.

First off, thanks in advance.

Car: 2003 350z Track Model 6MT, ~86k

Today, driving home from work I made a stop by my parents house, left my car running in the driveway. After maybe 5 mins or so, when I go to leave, I see the SRS light has come on again, it's been doing that recently, no idea why (my mistake for not taking it in and diagnosing). I perform the SRS reset function, start car, SRS light is off, all is "normal". I put the car in reverse and after about 20 feet or so, the engine shut off. I attempted to start it back up again, it chugs and chugs and chugs but doesn't actually start. Much like what would happen if you're trying to start with an unmated key. My mistake at this point was trying to crank multiple times (which I think I may have locked the key out by doing so, more on that later). After scrambling through forums, I come across a reoccurring NATS issue with some Z owners. I reinserted my key and turned to on, solid red light. Checked 3 times to confirm, all three solid red. My problem before, attempting to crank multiple times may have just locked me out because of the NATS protocols, but still can't diagnose what killed the engine in the first place or why it wouldn't start again the first 2 attempts. When turning key to on, the fuel pump doesn't prime, but the fan powers on and stays on. Scanning across forums has me believing it's either the ECU is fried, or something in the NATS system is fried. Any advice on what it might be would be greatly appreciated

travlee 02-01-2016 12:56 PM

tow to dealership for proper diagnosis... we can guess and point you to other threads all day, but why throw parts at it if they arent needed

prob not what you wanted to hear, but then you will know exactly what is wrong with it

tclark90 02-01-2016 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by travlee (Post 10717379)
tow to dealership for proper diagnosis... we can guess and point you to other threads all day, but why throw parts at it if they arent needed

prob not what you wanted to hear, but then you will know exactly what is wrong with it

Okay, upon further diag, it appears that the ECU fuse was blown, replaced, car starts right up. After 10 mins or so, SRS light has come back on. Car still running after 10 mins too. Any starting hints to try and find where to short occurred, or is taking it to a shop still #1

zakmartin 02-01-2016 04:05 PM

If you don't have a scan tool that can show SRS codes, then take it to someone who can. Once you get pointed in the right direction, then you can decide whether you can do the fix yourself or if you need to take it to a shop.

A nice scan tool like the one I have will pay for itself after the first few uses. If you don't own one and want to work on your own car, then buy one.

travlee 02-01-2016 04:06 PM

electrical gremlins suck....

PP08HR 02-01-2016 04:14 PM

SRS problem won't blow an ecu fuse unless you have some serious issues bro.

Probably not related.

XERMAN2001 11-07-2016 06:55 PM

Where is the ECU fuse ?