Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Question regarding 2008 manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 10:39 PM
itsbwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding 2008 manual transmission

Hey all,
Recently my syncros have gone bad, and I am in need of some help. I have the 2008 6 speed manual, and I am wondering if in my case it is best to purchase a used transmission, or pay for a rebuild. I am at 86,000 miles, and I am basically wondering if it is worth it to have a rebuild. I am aware of the many issues with the '03, but I'm unable to find any info on the reliability of the 2008 tranny. It would be slightly cheaper to get another used oem transmission, but if the '08 tranny is fairly reliable, I would rather just have it rebuilt and be on my way. I would hate to purchase a used transmission and then have issues with the syncros on that one and be back to square one. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:38 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I'd look for something else as your issue. Unless you are really abusive to the gearbox, I'm doubtful the synchros are all bad. Check the clutch hydraulics, change the gearbox oil, and so on. Basic troubleshooting is in order, which so many posters here seem to overlook.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:20 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
I'd look for something else as your issue. Unless you are really abusive to the gearbox, I'm doubtful the synchros are all bad. Check the clutch hydraulics, change the gearbox oil, and so on. Basic troubleshooting is in order, which so many posters here seem to overlook.
true story
Old 03-08-2017, 09:16 AM
itsbwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I guess I should've clarified a bit more. I can no longer shift into 4th. There's a very heavy grind, and it kicks me back to neutral. All other gears are a bit notchy, so I'm pretty sure it's the syncros. Nissan seemed to think syncros as well. So now I am just wondering if I should pay for trans rebuild, or purchase a used transmission and hope for the best?
Old 03-08-2017, 09:48 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

have you tried changing the fluids yet?
Old 03-08-2017, 10:22 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

It could also be the alignment of the shift lever. COnsult pages MT13 thru MT15 in the factory service manual. You can search online and find it.
The following users liked this post:
timeltel (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 10:50 AM
timeltel

Received 176 Likes on 122 Posts

Hi, bwood: Don't panic. Yet. Click this link first:

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...alignment.html

Same problem with my '08, still (then) under warranty. Took it to dealership for 30k service, mentioned the difficulty with finding 5th and downshifting into 4th and suggested they look at the shifter alignment plate while it was in the bay. When they recommended a new tranny under warranty, seemed to me like time to grin and bear it.

(Edit): Dean beat me to it while tracking down the above link.

Side story: Swapped in ZSpeed's mid-weight solid flywheel, South Bend pressure plate, Wilwood master cylinder and T.O. bearing while the transmission was out. Also found the universals out in the driveshaft. Happy camper with $1.3k in a new drive train from pilot bearing to differential.

Loosen the three bolts just enough to move the plate. Move the shifter into 5th and shim the plate to the lever using a credit card. Do the same into 6th and double check both stroke and lateral throw before tightening the alignment plate.

If this is your problem you'll have it buttoned back up in 15 minutes. If not, then you have good advice from the previous posters.

Last edited by timeltel; 03-08-2017 at 10:53 AM.