Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 10:36 AM
Npipezz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear oil

Has anyone used royal purple gear oil? I have a 2003 touring with sketchy synchros, not expecting a complete turn around after draining my fluid but playing it safe. People keep telling me not to drain it as it will "cause the synchro to go quicker". True or false?
Old 04-11-2017, 11:06 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Npipezz
Has anyone used royal purple gear oil? I have a 2003 touring with sketchy synchros, not expecting a complete turn around after draining my fluid but playing it safe. People keep telling me not to drain it as it will "cause the synchro to go quicker". True or false?
Old wives tale. People that tell you that are just too lazy to change.

If you do change, only use Nissan OEM fluid or better, Redline MT85, which has the proper friction modifiers for the Nissan tranny. BUT, if the synchros are already gone (likely as '03 was a very problematic year for Z trannies), you are right to not expect much.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:22 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

+1 on the Redline MT85, and hope for the best. Consider this an opportunity to learn proper rev matching during shifts, and you'll have a skill which will serve you well.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:46 PM
Npipezz

Originally Posted by dcains
+1 on the Redline MT85, and hope for the best. Consider this an opportunity to learn proper rev matching during shifts, and you'll have a skill which will serve you well.
Nothing wrong with my rev matching or shifting in general lol, bought the car a few weeks ago.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:47 PM
Npipezz

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Old wives tale. People that tell you that are just too lazy to change.

If you do change, only use Nissan OEM fluid or better, Redline MT85, which has the proper friction modifiers for the Nissan tranny. BUT, if the synchros are already gone (likely as '03 was a very problematic year for Z trannies), you are right to not expect much.
the one person who told me to do it was my mechanic haha, the other few individuals I asked for advice not to flush it were the ones who told me not to