Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

VQ35HR stall issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 04:00 PM
poormtnkid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VQ35HR stall issue

Hello Everyone

My good friend of mine and I have been working on swapping over the VQ35HR out of a 2008 Z into his 1975 280z. Motor is in, wiring is done , and the car does fire.

We are having a problem with rough idle, then stalling. There is a vacuum port at the 12 oclock posistion on the intake manifold that I have been told goes to the brake booster. When this is connected the car idles good for about 2 min then dies out. Once it dies out it will not start for some time.

I havent checked if there are any codes yet as I have miss plaed my ODB scaner. The other question I had was in regards to the fuel pump. The owner of the car purchase a walbrow 255lph pump. I did not realize the VQ was a returnless fuel system. Could this pump be too much for the VQ right now resulting in flooding it out after so much time at idle?

THis is slightly unusual as its a VQ in an old Z car, but I'm sure some of your more knowledgeable people out there might be able to point me in the right direction. Once I find my scanner I think I will have more of an idea as to where to go.....just have to tear apart the garage and find it.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2017, 03:19 PM
poormtnkid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I checked for codes and its not throwing anything out. This puts me in the hands of the forums even more so.

I'm stuck at this point not knowing if it has to do with the vacuum, fuel, or anything else that could be potentially wrong.

Has anyone else experienced an issue similar to this?