Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Car overheating and tranny problems help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 11:11 PM
Machy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car overheating and tranny problems help!

so I’m driving home and I reach a stop sign so I stop and I go into first gear. I let off the clutch and it seems my car is having trouble engaging, it was jerking and even tho I was in first gear there was no power just a jerking movement as I tried to gas it. I look at my gauges and my car was overheating and the check engine light came on(I still don’t have the code). I look back on my rear view mirror and I see that I’m leaking coolant. I decided to leave the car on and use the momentum I had to make it to my house approximately 3 blocks away(2min). I opened my hood and My coolant reservoir was overfull and probably leaking. I had checked not to long ago and my coolant level was fine hours before this incident. I have no idea why my transmission wasn’t engaging and why my car was leaking coolant and overheating. If anybody can help me that would be great.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:14 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

could be a number of things... jump under the hood and start checking stuff out
Old 11-12-2017, 04:52 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Machy
so I’m driving home and I reach a stop sign so I stop and I go into first gear. I let off the clutch and it seems my car is having trouble engaging, it was jerking and even tho I was in first gear there was no power just a jerking movement as I tried to gas it. I look at my gauges and my car was overheating and the check engine light came on(I still don’t have the code). I look back on my rear view mirror and I see that I’m leaking coolant. I decided to leave the car on and use the momentum I had to make it to my house approximately 3 blocks away(2min). I opened my hood and My coolant reservoir was overfull and probably leaking. I had checked not to long ago and my coolant level was fine hours before this incident. I have no idea why my transmission wasn’t engaging and why my car was leaking coolant and overheating. If anybody can help me that would be great.

Yeah.. I can help you by telling you to figure out where the coolant leak is coming from and have the code read with an OBD II scanner.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:48 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,267 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Code is probably for over-temp. Jerking was because the car is in limp mode. Leak was from the res overflowing due to the overheating. Most common failure is the T-stat. Pull the code and get back to us.