Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Need a 5star smog on my non cali catalytic converters in San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 02:00 PM
#1Pussologist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need a 5star smog on my non cali catalytic converters in San Diego

Hey guys,
A few years ago, I bought this 350z in Corte Madera(Nor Cal)that was built in Texas, and had to take it to a specific shop(referred to by the dealer) to get it smogged. I now live in San Diego and need this smogged by December 20th. Theres a couple problems, the catalytic converters aren't California stamped, and I guess my K&N air filter setup isn't Cali legal either. The car hasn't ever been declined, but I've been having trouble finding recommendations here in San Diego.
Can anyone please help me out? Not trying to drive up to Nor Cal for a smog.
Thanks Guys

Last edited by #1Pussologist; 11-13-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:48 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

You can park the car, sell the car, move to a non-CA smog state or get parts for your car that are CARB certified.

You might want to give K&N a call to see if they're CARB legal in CA (you'll need a sticker if they are.) As for the cats, you could check Craigslist for some used ones that will get you by.
The following users liked this post:
travlee (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 06:39 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

If someone has a shop who will pass their car I'm sure they're not going to share that info with some rando online.
zakmartin (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 07:45 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...ld-intake.html
zakmartin (11-14-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 08:16 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Usually I'd frown on a car not being CA-smog legal but this seems relatively minor.

First, I'm confused, what is a "5Star smog station"? I'm guessing that's the name of a particular smog place, not the CA designation since google couldn't find anything other than station names.

California's designation for the enhanced and more stringent smog test types is "Star certified smog station" - and if you are required to bring your car to a Star station, that means either your car fits the class or type of cars that "typically" fail smog test (yes, that's a form of "profiling" and is stereotypical; but I'm sure it's warranted....consider that there are likely more 350Zs than Camrys failing smog for "whatever reason" < wink wink >)

OR, your particular VIN was previously noted/flagged as a "gross polluter" which automatically triggers Star certification required.

Also be aware that the CA Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) also works hand in hand with CA DMV to RANDOMLY select a car or group of cars to be Star tested (versus run of the mill testing).

That all said, what I'd consider doing is bringing it to a Star station that does "free re-testing" (usually within a 30-day period). Go in, get it smogged and see what the results are.... Pass-all, fail visual, pass-ECU-reading/fail visual, etc. At least in doing this, you'll know EXACTLY what needs to be done to the car and you'll have 30-days to get it into compliance and won't spend unnecessary dollars in throwing parts at it.

Yes, I had to do this with my now-departed S30 and don't wish to do that again; hence why it is "now-departed".

But ya, get the facts then act.
zakmartin (11-15-2017)