Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Is my life ruined? Totaled 350z? Need advices.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 05:51 PM
pouchonnet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Is my life ruined? Totaled 350z? Need advices.

Hey guys, today i was coming back from the gym and spun out in my 350z. I didn't hit anyone but i got hurt and the car is badly damaged.
At first i thought the car was totaled so i figured i would get a check and buy another one and get an HR finally. Sadly I found out that my insurance which is really cheap, doesn't cover accidents that are my fault. Soooo now i'm lost.
I have a destroyed 350z, i won't get a check for it since it's my fault and don't have 3-4k to put in it to repair it and then sell it way cheaper than what i paid for it 6 months ago because it's an damaged car.

What the hell do i do?
Sell it to a dealer for hopefully 5000$? Keep in mind I paid 10k CAD. Sell it as is? No one would buy that tho...

Anyone who went through this situation has an advice for me? Thanks...

Old 11-18-2017, 07:11 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

Tube front and race car
Old 11-18-2017, 10:13 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Should have waited until Thursday. But seriously, you're not getting paid because you didn't buy collision coverage, not because the crash was your fault. And, no dealer will give you $CAD5K for that car. It will cost you that much to fix the airbags, and most likely that car would have been a total. Count this as a learning experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by dcains:
BigBlue (11-20-2017), WYZIWYG (11-21-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 11:06 PM
pouchonnet

So what do you recommend to make the most out of it? Part it out?
Old 11-19-2017, 04:23 AM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by pouchonnet
So what do you recommend to make the most out of it? Part it out?
She's for parts man.

I know it's not much help now, but at $150 a year I don't know why you didn't get collision. I'm surprised your lender didn't insist. You now have no collateral for the loan (if you have one) and the bank could call the loan.

Anyway, hope you're okay.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:46 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by carbuffguy
She's for parts man.

I know it's not much help now, but at $150 a year I don't know why you didn't get collision. I'm surprised your lender didn't insist. You now have no collateral for the loan (if you have one) and the bank could call the loan.

Anyway, hope you're okay.
I'd imagine the OP owned the car outright ... if you have a loan on the car dont insurance companies require full coverage?

I keep full coverage (albeit w/a $2k deductible) on both my truck and the Z despite the ownership.

If it was me I'd fix it and drive it as a project car ... a tube front would be awesome ... depending on the OP's mechanical abilities...

I doubt you'll sell it for more than $1000 despite paying $10 ... you may be able to replace the front end / damaged items for a few $1000 and have the car back...it doesnt look that bad...

If you want to bring it down to Colorado, I'll give you $1000 for it!
Old 11-19-2017, 06:55 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

It looks like the advice you're getting here is sound. No, your life isn't ruined, but it's just gone downhill quickly. As others have said, not having collision coverage is why it was so cheap, but now you know the downside. What to do? First, there's no cheap or easy way to repair the major damage done to your Z33. None.

Second, if that is YOUR garage and you can afford to store it there for a few months, you have two options: start repairing it yourself or part it out slowly. The former means you start by pulling off the front components that are trashed and get a good look at the front frame horns. If they're damaged, take it to a frame shop and have them get the Z straight again before continuing a repair that'll take months, if not years. Parting out the car will take a long time, and you'll find the time spent will not equal the amount you get in return for used parts off a wrecked car.

I agree that no used car lot will touch it, or if they do, it'll be a pittance (think $200-400) if their service department is slow. You haven't mentioned whether this Z is your DD and if it'll affect how you get to work. So, what to do THERE may be you first priority. You did mention you got hurt in the accident, but didn't list any injuries, so there's that as well. Before you do too much else, take some time to consider the life lessons you could benefit from:

-Don't buy a car you can't afford to insure.
-No mention of how the accident happened, but 350Zs do not easily spin out. You need to take stock of what happened, how your driving contributed and figure out how to avoid the accident next time.
-Despite the injuries you received, the Z did exactly what it was supposed to. The front end deformed and absorbed a lot of damage that could have killed or permanently maimed you and your passenger.
-Will your ego allow you to accept fault on multiple fronts and learn some valuable lessons from this? Or will you allow the lessons to fade away and not teach you anything?
-Is your motivation high enough to start working on this car? Do you have the room, tools and skills to begin a long process?
The following 3 users liked this post by dkmura:
BigBlue (11-20-2017), pouchonnet (11-20-2017), WYZIWYG (11-21-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 01:33 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

If ANYONE came to me saying their "life was ruined" because of a smashed car, I 'd tell them to live MY life and get over themselves! The mere suggestion that a material loss constitutes a life changing event is so wrong to me that I'm offended.

Ehhhhhhh.... good thing I really don't give a damm.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:14 PM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Take more 360 degree pics. I might be interested as a parts car for my track car. I can come and tow it back to Ontario.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:35 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
If ANYONE came to me saying their "life was ruined" because of a smashed car
Mic...I've sorta wonder the same thing...like, where'd I be if little zippy nun'd disappeared from the garage...

hence - why I keep traction control on, dont drive like an idiot, and insure accordingly...bc I dont want to answer this question...
Old 11-20-2017, 09:00 AM
pouchonnet

I was kinda being sarcastic, I honestly don't give a damn either about it. I wanted to sell it and get an HR or a 135i. Just the fact that I didn't get severe injuries was good enough for me !
Old 11-20-2017, 09:02 AM
pouchonnet

Sorry for the bad pictures. Except for the front dmg and a mark on the rear bumper it looks fine.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:22 AM
Abe_Froman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't offer any advice but glad you are here to post this thread and complain about your accident. Part it out on craigslist and the classifieds here.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:23 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

That last picture is a bit puzzling. Why did the passenger airbag deploy, but not the DS?
Old 11-20-2017, 12:03 PM
pouchonnet

That last picture is a bit puzzling. Why did the passenger airbag deploy, but not the DS?
I know right? I have to check if there's an airbag on the steering wheel but I'm 99% sure there is because the car was immaculate when i got it... I crashed in an angle tho, maybe that's why..

Last edited by pouchonnet; 11-20-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:13 PM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I was about to say it looks like a real easy fix, until I saw the drivers side frame rail. PART OUT. you'll get back 1-2k easy then decide what to do. Good luck getting to work in the meantime, seriously.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:38 PM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Duuuugan
Old 11-20-2017, 01:51 PM
pouchonnet

Originally Posted by yosip1115
I was about to say it looks like a real easy fix, until I saw the drivers side frame rail. PART OUT. you'll get back 1-2k easy then decide what to do. Good luck getting to work in the meantime, seriously.
Man... Isn't the engine/trans alone worth 2k?
Old 11-20-2017, 01:59 PM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by pouchonnet
Man... Isn't the engine/trans alone worth 2k?
I'm I'm more of a price to sell kind of guy and you still have to buy some tools if I'm not mistaken like an engine hoist to be able to do that.

Honestly I'm not exactly sure how much you could get from parting out a stock car but from what I saw last time I tried it'll take a really long time for the parts to sell if you don't price them to sell.

​​​​​​
Old 11-20-2017, 02:49 PM
pouchonnet

I understand.. Worst part is I live somewhere where there's barely any Z... Parting it out seems stupid at this point. I just drove the car and everything feels great lol. I feel like trying to fix everything myself and selling it to someone who want's to turn it into a drift/race car would make the most sense at this point. Just need to figure out a way to bend back the frame rails and everything that is squished...

I really can't imagine getting 2k for all the parts that would take many years to sell...

Thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate it!