Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

No start, Fried ecu?, Nats?

Old 03-12-2018, 05:43 PM
mx5_leo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start, Fried ecu?, Nats?

Ok so i have a 03 350z, no start but cranks. When the key is in the on position, the fuel pump does not prime, radiator fan kick on full blast, and my ses light isnt on either so im pretty sure the ecu isnt powering up. I was just checking around and found 12v at one of the ecu pins so im sure its getting power. But my nats light is on solid when the key is in the on position, and i could have sworn the nats cuts off power to the ecu and fuel pump when the system is armed. The car had some issues starting every now and then but eventually started now not all. And if its a bad ecm will a 03 manual trans ecm swap right in, as long as i get the key programmed?
Pls help, THANKS
Old 03-12-2018, 07:13 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Welcome and there's been a rash of no start threads on this board recently. But like many new posters, there's quite a bit of information missing, Here's what I wish many noobies would include in questions like this:

1) How long have you owned this Z? Miles?
2) When did the no start problem begin happening?
3) Have you tried pulling any codes from the BCM section?
4) Have you tried using your spare key?
5) Any mods or repairs that preceded the no start condition?
The following 2 users liked this post by dkmura:
Atreyu'z 350 (03-14-2018), mx5_leo (03-15-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 06:12 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by mx5_leo
Ok so i have a 03 350z, no start but cranks. When the key is in the on position, the fuel pump does not prime, radiator fan kick on full blast, and my ses light isnt on either so im pretty sure the ecu isnt powering up. I was just checking around and found 12v at one of the ecu pins so im sure its getting power. But my nats light is on solid when the key is in the on position, and i could have sworn the nats cuts off power to the ecu and fuel pump when the system is armed. The car had some issues starting every now and then but eventually started now not all. And if its a bad ecm will a 03 manual trans ecm swap right in, as long as i get the key programmed?
Pls help, THANKS

From what you described, it sounds like you have a bad ECU. And as far as the ECU swap; I'm guessing you have an automatic..?
The following users liked this post:
mx5_leo (03-15-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 05:39 PM
mx5_leo

Originally Posted by dkmura
Welcome and there's been a rash of no start threads on this board recently. But like many new posters, there's quite a bit of information missing, Here's what I wish many noobies would include in questions like this:

1) How long have you owned this Z? Miles?
2) When did the no start problem begin happening?
3) Have you tried pulling any codes from the BCM section?
4) Have you tried using your spare key?
5) Any mods or repairs that preceded the no start condition?
about a month
few days ago
scanner doesn’t detect car
no spare key
i may have found the issue, I took out the radio and a lot of wires were left exposed by the previous owner. But can something on the radio harness can really fry an ecu? I would think a fuse or something, found no popped fuses and checked the ipdm fuses, and both fuse boxes
Old 03-13-2018, 05:42 PM
mx5_leo

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
From what you described, it sounds like you have a bad ECU. And as far as the ECU swap; I'm guessing you have an automatic..?
Yea I figured I ordered one on eBay but I possibly may have ordered and ecu for an auto and I have a manual
Old 03-14-2018, 06:45 AM
Atreyu'z 350

OK.. I would return that ECU and get one from a manual car to avoid the U1000 code and possible gear indicator readout related issues.
mx5_leo (03-15-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 08:29 AM
mx5_leo

Ive heard so many mixed things about ecu swap/compatibility, can someone give me some insight would a ecu from a manual 04 z work in my manual 03? or theres more to it like matching part numbers etc. One of the nissan master techs told me the numbers on the ecu is not a part number, so it cant be identified, cant tell what car they came out of, if it'll fit etc.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:58 AM
Atreyu'z 350

The fuel tables are different within the ECU from 2003 to 2004, and after 2004.5 the ECU uses totally different coding altogether as well as stricter emission control programming(narrow vs. wideband O2 sensor thresholds).
mx5_leo (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 07:34 AM
mx5_leo

Will any 03 manual trans ecm go into my car with no problem, after i program the ecu
Old 03-15-2018, 10:36 AM
Atreyu'z 350

YYup.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:36 PM
mx5_leo

I’ve also forgot to mention the car would break up and jerk violently and break up around 5krpm, torque fell flat on its face. I also had a maf code though, so idk if it was the ecm going bad, or maf doing that. I bought a new maf but didn’t even get to test it cause the ecu going
Old 03-15-2018, 11:02 PM
Atreyu'z 350

If your ECU is that corrupt it can start to disrupt the fuel tables and coil packs. I mean you can try cleaning your MAF, but if you ECU is bad then it's kinda like washing a car in the junk yard.. But you did get just that code.. Try cleaning your MAF and see what happens.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:16 PM
mx5_leo

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
If your ECU is that corrupt it can start to disrupt the fuel tables and coil packs. I mean you can try cleaning your MAF, but if you ECU is bad then it's kinda like washing a car in the junk yard.. But you did get just that code.. Try cleaning your MAF and see what happens.
The car actually came with the car but I was just poking around and found a super oily air filter, go figure lol.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:01 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

The car actually came with the car but I was just poking around and found a super oily air filter, go figure lol.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:22 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Ehh? Typo?

But yeah, the MAF's on the Z does not like oily air filters. The petroleum gets on there and starts screwing up air volume readings. A simple paper one will suffice.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:55 PM
mx5_leo

Default Update

So I got the replacement ecu and all the numbers match up. I put it in but nothing. Now i know the car won’t start, because I have to program the ecm, but shouldn’t the ses light light up? Cause mine doesn’t, rad fans full blast, and my obd2 scanner powers up but can’t connect to the car

Last edited by mx5_leo; 03-17-2018 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-13-2018, 10:24 AM
Daniicasper5

Did you ever figure out what it was? Having same issur right now.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:36 AM
mx5_leo

Originally Posted by Daniicasper5
Did you ever figure out what it was? Having same issur right now.
Yes it was the ecu,but the power wire (pin 111 i believe) was melted so when i plugged in the new ecu it would not power up.
https://www.aemelectronics.com/files...structions.pdf
Page 21 theirs a pinout for 03-06 ecus, check for power and ground and all the pins your suppose to. And check for power at the relay and fuse
Old 01-19-2019, 01:44 PM
350Zack1

I am having this same problem! Rev up to 4-5k, drop the clutch and car will die but ONLY FROM A DEAD STOP. Radiator fans turn on full blast, fuel pump does not prime. Cannot read engine codes.

Bought the car 2-3 months ago as a drift car, was told the another engine was swapped in with about 80k miles in it. 2005 manual.
First time it happened, bought a new IPDM relay box and it started right up. Thought it was just a one-time fluke but it appears to be a reoccurring problem. I drove the car and went WOT up to 3rd gear with no problems, even redlining. After a couple days, dropped the clutch at 4k revs again from a dead stop and same thing - car died. Cranks but does not start once again. There is no power going to the ECM relay in the IPDM box. Since then I have hardwired the fuel pump because I thought this was the problem.
I took out the ECU and checked all the wires. Since the car does not currently run and there is an error/malfunction in the IPDM box, I did not check the voltage of each wire yet. Each little connection pin looks nice and no obvious flaws in the wiring.

Is the ECU grounded in its metal plate holder thing? Mine was loose and not fully connected.
Also, some of the wires attaching into the ECU are sort of "loose." They jiggle very slightly but the connections do look mostly secure. Are ALL wires supposed to be very securing connected?
Do I just need to use a voltmeter to check voltage in each pin and wire in the ECU once I get a new IPDM board (it is being shipped currently)?
I am very frustrated and cannot seem to make any more progress!
Old 11-02-2019, 05:41 PM
mx5_leo

Currently in the same situation again, car died when I dumped the clutch. Radiator fans came on, no ses light

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No start, Fried ecu?, Nats?