MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Maintenance & Repair (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair-53/)
-   -   AC (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/619597-ac.html)

Macheesemo 06-03-2018 04:47 PM

AC

My AC works for a minute when the motor is at idle and the ac clutch will disengage. Once I start driving the ac clutch will stay engaged and I will have AC the whole time. Does anyone know how I can fix it so I have AC all the time. I know the clutch is supposed to engage and disengage but when it disengages it blows hot air.

jhc 06-03-2018 05:28 PM

Pay someone you trust who has highside/lowside gauges to trouble shoot.
Or you you can pick up an AutoZone diy kit for $25. Be sure to wear eye protection and gloves when you connect to low/suction side. The system takes a lil over 2# IIRC.
gl!

iideadeyeii 06-04-2018 06:30 AM

Slightly low charge /end thread

MicVelo 06-04-2018 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Macheesemo (Post 10958946)
My AC works for a minute when the motor is at idle and the ac clutch will disengage. Once I start driving the ac clutch will stay engaged and I will have AC the whole time. Does anyone know how I can fix it so I have AC all the time. I know the clutch is supposed to engage and disengage but when it disengages it blows hot air.

In addition to the above suggestions, there are plenty of things that can go wrong in the A/C system but I'd bet the ambient temp switch is faulty and needs replacement. Sounds like it might be consistently telling the system "HOT".

BUT, as mentioned, before you start throwing parts at it though, have the system checked... leaks, switches, pressure/refrigerant level by a qualified A/C tech.

I recall our shop used to sell those "DIY recharge kits" and on hot days we'd get people lined up to buy them.... no matter how many times I'd tell them "you're throwing money at a problem without knowing WHY the system is low, let us check it out." Nup, very few took the advice and threw away the money.... (and invariably OVERcharged the system because "if some is good, more MUST be better..." Bzzzt.)

"OK then, that'll be $54.57 please. See you next week." :icon17:

Macheesemo 06-04-2018 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by MicVelo (Post 10959013)
In addition to the above suggestions, there are plenty of things that can go wrong in the A/C system but I'd bet the ambient temp switch is faulty and needs replacement. Sounds like it might be consistently telling the system "HOT".

BUT, as mentioned, before you start throwing parts at it though, have the system checked... leaks, switches, pressure/refrigerant level by a qualified A/C tech.

I recall our shop used to sell those "DIY recharge kits" and on hot days we'd get people lined up to buy them.... no matter how many times I'd tell them "you're throwing money at a problem without knowing WHY the system is low, let us check it out." Nup, very few took the advice and threw away the money.... (and invariably OVERcharged the system because "if some is good, more MUST be better..." Bzzzt.)

"OK then, that'll be $54.57 please. See you next week." :icon17:

I was thinking it could have been the pressure sensor, but I never thought of checking the ambient air temperature sensor. Do you know how difficult it is to replace.

MicVelo 06-04-2018 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Macheesemo (Post 10959025)

I was thinking it could have been the pressure sensor, but I never thought of checking the ambient air temperature sensor. Do you know how difficult it is to replace.

Should take less than 2 minutes.

AFTER removing front bumper cover. :icon17:

I kid.... Not sure but I think it might be accessible from underneath. It's located down low in front of the radiator, almost dead center. Little square plastic box clipped on with a cable connector.

Macheesemo 07-11-2018 11:25 AM

Update

So i ran the self test on the 350z and when it got to the fan portion of the test. Only the passenger side fan spun and only on the low side of the test. So at this point I believe i will be replacing the cooling fans and maybe the relay and see if that helps. After i swap that out i will update on what happens, after that i will probably have an AC diagnostic done. If I'm off track or anyone has any other idea, let me know.