Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 09:58 AM
J33NO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure

I have searched on the forum and nobody seems to have an answer for my question.
I just got my oil changed two days ago and when I come to a stop, my oil light comes on and my oil pressure gauge is at zero. I have checked my oil and it shows it being 3/4 of the way up the checkered area on the dipstick. I am seeing some people say oil pressure at idle is fine @ 0psi and some people are saying it should be higher than that. My oil pressure pretty much never goes above 60psi even when I am driving.

Here is a video posted by someone else but its pretty much the same issue I am having. He stated he replaced the oil sending unit? Does anyone have a recommended place to start?

Old 07-02-2018, 10:38 AM
djnekkon

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I cant understand that part, what did you just place? it looks like a bad oil sensor. easy to replace. unfortunately, you will have to re-do the oil.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:42 AM
J33NO

Originally Posted by djnekkon
I cant understand that part, what did you just place? it looks like a bad oil sensor. easy to replace. unfortunately, you will have to re-do the oil.
What part do you not understand??? So the definitive answer is that my oil pressure SHOULD NOT be at 0 psi at idle? I cant seem to find a definitive answer. If that is the answer, then I KNOW I have a problem and I will replace the oil sensor. How much do they go for ~ $80?
Old 07-02-2018, 11:56 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,061 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by J33NO
What part do you not understand??? So the definitive answer is that my oil pressure SHOULD NOT be at 0 psi at idle? I cant seem to find a definitive answer. If that is the answer, then I KNOW I have a problem and I will replace the oil sensor. How much do they go for ~ $80?
Whoa Kemosabe. I know you're frustrated with your oil pressure issue, but try to relax. Your oil PSI should never be 0. If you want a definitive answer, then you need to take it to a certified Nissan tech who can physically put their hands on your car as opposed to asking all of us "internet" mechanics who will basically tell you to just throw parts at it until the problem is solved.

If you're having difficulty using the wide array of internet search engines to find the price of the sensor in question, then my350z.com is probably not the place for you.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:01 PM
J33NO

Smile

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Whoa Kemosabe. I know you're frustrated with your oil pressure issue, but try to relax. Your oil PSI should never be 0. If you want a definitive answer, then you need to take it to a certified Nissan tech who can physically put their hands on your car as opposed to asking all of us "internet" mechanics who will basically tell you to just throw parts at it until the problem is solved.

If you're having difficulty using the wide array of internet search engines to find the price of the sensor in question, then my350z.com is probably not the place for you.
Haha I am sorry if my previous reply made it seem like I was being rude or upset, not at all actually. I have a tenancy to add a lot of '????' at the end of a question and CAP words to have them standout not to make it seem like I am shouting. The previous poster stated he didnt understand something and I was asking what he didnt understand because I didnt understand what he had said haha. As always I am thankful for any advice from any of you, thats what I am here for.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:18 PM
Heel Til I Die

lol - it's all good, broseph.

This guy used a mechanical gauge and got good readings so it turned out being the oil pressure sending unit: https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...2003-350z.html

Part #: NIS-25070-CD00A

CZP (a vendor on here) has it for $42.

https://conceptzperformance.com/stan...0a_p_28462.php

If that doesn't work, it could be the pump, but that's less likely. I would try the mechanical gauge first to pinpoint the problem or you could just eff it, and buy a new sensor.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:38 PM
J33NO

lol - it's all good, broseph.

This guy used a mechanical gauge and got good readings so it turned out being the oil pressure sending unit: https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...2003-350z.html

If that doesn't work, it could be the pump, but that's less likely. I would try the mechanical gauge first to pinpoint the problem or you could just eff it, and buy a new sensor.
Okay thank you. I might see if I can borrow a pressure gauge and see where it is. Tell me if my logic is correct though, I just had Firestone replace my oil 3 days ago. The next day, my oil light came on after driving for about an hour when I stopped at gas station to lower my convertible top (only showed up when I stopped). I then checked my oil level and it shows that it has plenty of oil in it (as it should since it was just changed). I am thinking it has to be a bad sensor because it obviously has the oil it needs correct? I did however notice the car seems kind of sluggish, could that be related to something not building oil pressure correctly?
Old 07-02-2018, 01:51 PM
Heel Til I Die

I would hope that Firestone would not have screwed something up during the oil change (like forgetting to refill the oil to the correct capacity, fraying or disconnecting the harness for the sensor, etc.). In order to check the oil level correctly, the Z needs to sit for a good while. I usually check my oil level in the morning before I start it for the first time after it sits about 12+ hrs. Otherwise, you will not get a correct reading.

If the oil level is good after checking it after it's been sitting for a while, then it's probably the sending unit which seems to be prone to failure, the wiring or harness connector, or the pump itself.

I don't know if the oil pressure would have a sluggish effect. Maybe?
Old 07-02-2018, 02:32 PM
J33NO

I would hope that Firestone would not have screwed something up during the oil change (like forgetting to refill the oil to the correct capacity, fraying or disconnecting the harness for the sensor, etc.). In order to check the oil level correctly, the Z needs to sit for a good while. I usually check my oil level in the morning before I start it for the first time after it sits about 12+ hrs. Otherwise, you will not get a correct reading.

If the oil level is good after checking it after it's been sitting for a while, then it's probably the sending unit which seems to be prone to failure, the wiring or harness connector, or the pump itself.

I don't know if the oil pressure would have a sluggish effect. Maybe?
Hmm okay. Ill check it tomorrow morning after its been sitting for a while. As much as I dislike dodgy mechanics I don't think they did anything wrong as I was having this same issue before I got my oil changed and I just added another half court of oil which after, still showed 0~10 oil PSI at idle but it must have just been enough to make the oil light stop coming on. After adding the half qt of oil my oil was near the top of the hashed mark on the dip stick 'H'. Its like my car needs to be filled almost to the 'H' for it to not throw some kind of low oil pressure warning. Does the oil HAVE to be changed when replacing the oil pressure sensor or does it just leak oil fast when you swap out the sensors and so most people just replace the oil at the same time? Im wondering because I just spent $90 to get the oil changed with full syn and if I can avoid having to go buy all new oil again that would be great.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:32 PM
Heel Til I Die

Hmm okay. Ill check it tomorrow morning after its been sitting for a while. As much as I dislike dodgy mechanics I don't think they did anything wrong as I was having this same issue before I got my oil changed and I just added another half court of oil which after, still showed 0~10 oil PSI at idle but it must have just been enough to make the oil light stop coming on. After adding the half qt of oil my oil was near the top of the hashed mark on the dip stick 'H'. Its like my car needs to be filled almost to the 'H' for it to not throw some kind of low oil pressure warning. Does the oil HAVE to be changed when replacing the oil pressure sensor or does it just leak oil fast when you swap out the sensors and so most people just replace the oil at the same time? Im wondering because I just spent $90 to get the oil changed with full syn and if I can avoid having to go buy all new oil again that would be great.
$90?!? Yikes. I guess that's normal but I've always changed my own oil and filter with amsoil's top of the line products and it's not nearly that much.

I've been lucky enough to have never had to change my oil pressure sending unit. I imagine oil will leak out when you remove it to replace it. I suppose if you're reallllly fast, you may be able to salvage some.

Out of curiosity, what oil and viscosity did Firestone use?

Last edited by Heel Til I Die; 07-02-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:50 PM
J33NO

$90?!? Yikes. I guess that's normal but I've always changed my own oil and filter with amsoil's top of the line products and it's not nearly that much.

I've been lucky enough to have never had to change my oil pressure sending unit. I imagine oil will leak out when you remove it to replace it. I suppose if you're reallllly fast, you may be able to salvage some.

Out of curiosity, what oil and viscosity did Firestone use?
To be honest I am not exactly sure what kind. I would have to look at my receipt which I am not near but they used 5W30. Which brings up another question, I live in Phoenix, AZ and for those that dont know, its hot here. Around 110 degrees most of the day so is the factory suggested 5W30 what I should be using or does that not matter with this kind of heat?
Old 07-03-2018, 05:46 AM
Heel Til I Die

110 degrees - but it's dry heat, right?

I'm not sure if it ever gets this cold in AZ, but if the ambient temperature never drops below zero degrees fahrenheit, you can use 10w-30 or 10w-40 according to the FSM. I know there are multiple threads out there about running different oil than the recommended 5w-30 based on oil consumption issues, but that typically plagues '06 revup owners for the most part.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:20 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I don't know if you stated whether you have a DE or an HR motor in your Z. If you have an HR, low oil pressure is a fairly common problem due to a failed oil galley gasket. Before you damage your motor, I would have a mechanic check it out.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:34 AM
J33NO

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
I don't know if you stated whether you have a DE or an HR motor in your Z. If you have an HR, low oil pressure is a fairly common problem due to a failed oil galley gasket. Before you damage your motor, I would have a mechanic check it out.
I have a 2006 Touring 350z which I believe has the DE Revup motor correct? Not the HR. Everyone states the best way to know for sure is to look at the RPMs, mine redlines at 7000.

Also this morning I checked my oil pressure after the car sat all night and it is FULL. Its matched up with the H on the dipstick. When I start it cold, it jumps up to about 60psi @ idle. Once warmed up, it then idles just above 0 psi so not quite at 0psi. Then under throttle (3000-4000rpm) it is at about 50-60 psi. This scares me because it doesnt seem like the sensor is "failing" its getting just slightly lower than ideal readings right? Then again I cant find anything stating where an 06 Z should be as far as PSI goes.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:22 AM
Heel Til I Die

You have the VQ35DE Revup engine. Oil consumption seems to plague that particular model for most (but not all).

As oil engine temperature increases, the oil psi will decrease. You should have higher oil psi at a cold startup as opposed to when the engine is warmed up.

After your engine has reached normal operating temperature (80 degrees celsius), oil psi at idle should be more than 14 psi and more than 43 psi at 2,000 rpms (per the FSM).

I believe that if you run a more viscous oil like 10w-30 or 10w-40, it will flow slower at normal operating temperature and you should see an increase in oil psi.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:47 AM
Bernardo Z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys my oil pressure sensor went bad and my light never came on. My gauge would stay at 0 and 120PSI never got the light. It isn't the sensor. I even replaced my senses with an OEM one and once in a while the oil gauge gets stuck or goes to 0PSI I just slap it and it works again. It isn't the sensor. The oil pressure light has a whole different sensor that works the oil light. Our oil pressure gauges kinda suck anyway
Old 07-10-2018, 05:38 PM
J33NO

Going to replace the oil pressure sensor next week and will report back if that fixed the problem or not. I think they are like $75 :/ so hopefully it does.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:52 AM
Heel Til I Die

Get it for $42.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:12 PM
J33NO

Get it for $42.
Awesome, thank you!!! Will buy that first thing Monday.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:36 PM
Bernardo Z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going to replace the oil pressure sensor next week and will report back if that fixed the problem or not. I think they are like $75 :/ so hopefully it does.
again, it WILL NOT fix your problem. The oil pressure sensor and the oil light sensor are two complete different sensors. Also there have been numerous amounts of memes here that have cracked their upper oil pan installing that sensor. It is super sensitive and you'll have to pull the block which is not worth it. If your oil pressure sensor isn't at 120PSI when the key is on Accessories then it is not broken. Trust me. My sensor went out. Never got the engine oil light. Nonetheless keep us updated