MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Maintenance & Repair (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair-53/)
-   -   Diff fill bolt leaking after fluid change? (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/620740-diff-fill-bolt-leaking-after-fluid-change.html)

Bernardo Z33 11-05-2018 02:15 PM

Diff fill bolt leaking after fluid change?

Hey guys today i changed my tranny, engine, and diff oil. I drove it for like 5 mins and looked for leaks and everything looked ok. I saw that the diff fill plug was a bit wet around it. I got all new magnetic plugs from Z1 along with washers btw. Maybe i didnt clean it enough and its not leaking? I torqued them all to spec to. Should i just get my wrench and tighten it?

Bernardo Z33 11-05-2018 02:46 PM

Also how much fluid does the tranny take?mine took 3.5 quarts before it was filled and leaking sounds about right?

dkmura 11-05-2018 02:59 PM

Torque specs are there for a reason. Tightening a fill plug beyond them makes little sense, and could result in stripped threads. If you properly filled the diff, just check it in a few days to determine if its really leaking. If so, try using a bit of Teflon tape to keep it from seeping.

Bernardo Z33 11-05-2018 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by dkmura (Post 10976039)
Torque specs are there for a reason. Tightening a fill plug beyond them makes little sense, and could result in stripped threads. If you properly filled the diff, just check it in a few days to determine if its really leaking. If so, try using a bit of Teflon tape to keep it from seeping.

thank you sir. You're right about the torque specs. I dont want to risk it. Would overfilling cause it to leak because of pressure? I cleaned it up and tomorrow I'll check for leaks. Also the z1 oil drain plug says 17ft lbs. Doesn't that sound too low for a oil drain plug? I dont want it to fall off while driving Haha

jhc 11-05-2018 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bernardo Z33 (Post 10976045)
thank you sir. You're right about the torque specs. I dont want to risk it. Would overfilling cause it to leak because of pressure? I cleaned it up and tomorrow I'll check for leaks. Also the z1 oil drain plug says 17ft lbs. Doesn't that sound too low for a oil drain plug? I dont want it to fall off while driving Haha

The Z1 oil- spec sounds about right IF you are using a new crush washer each install. Obviously too low means leaking or falling out, too much means it's stripped forever and either re-tap or replace parts. A torque wrench literally pays for itself quickly, don't cheap out.

Bernardo Z33 11-07-2018 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by jhc (Post 10976050)
The Z1 oil- spec sounds about right IF you are using a new crush washer each install. Obviously too low means leaking or falling out, too much means it's stripped forever and either re-tap or replace parts. A torque wrench literally pays for itself quickly, don't cheap out.

yeah it came with a new crush washer for the oil drain plug. And as I said I do have a torque wrench and torqued it down. 17ft lbs just sounded low to me considering oem drain plug says 28ft lbs I think