Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

HELP!! The dreaded OIL LEAK

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 07:57 AM
nismoasfuh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! The dreaded OIL LEAK

ughhhhhhh I hate oil leaks! Story is, I bought the car about a month ago, and turned it on everyday but didn't start driving it till about a week ago. Everything was fine, there didn't seem to be a leak. But a couple nights ago as I pulled out of my driveway I noticed a very amount of oil on the floor. When I wiped my finger and smelled it, it seemed to smell like old gear oil. I jacked up the car from the front and noticed the Oil pan is caked with old oil, as well as the line for the oil cooler (going to replace the oil pan gasket/RTV and oil cooler O-ring next oil change) Thinking that was my issue I continued on with my night. The oil leak was on my mind in the morning and so after a couple errands I jacked the front up again and noticed that the leak is actually happening farther back. Right where the bell housing of the tranny and the engine basically meet. It has covered the crossmember with oil as well as the brace behind it where the front jacking point of the car is that is where the dripping is actually happening. I cant see anything from the top of the engine, hard to take a look but the firewall area seems dry. (So probably not valve covers / cam sensor O-rings) I just figured I make a post about it in hopes of someones who can chime in with some suggestions. I wont be able to degrease and clean the bottom of the car till Saturday at the earliest, I know thats my best bet to pin point the origin of the leak, right now I'm just shooting in the dark. I'll keep this thread updated as it goes on. I have included two videos, which again I know wont show much but figured I'd do it anyways. Also I know the dreaded rear main seal...Im praying thats not the case. If it was the rear main wouldn't that make my clutch slip? Previous owner had the clutch replaced as well as the rear main seal (obviously) about a year ago. The leak seems to have just started.

First video shows the front of the car. Oil pan area

next one is the main video and shows exactly where the drip is occurring. Cant pinpoint where its actually coming from till I can clean the area.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:47 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,265 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Oil sources on the rear of the engine... Valve covers, cam sensor seals, rear main seal.