Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

wiper park position

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2024, 02:38 PM
superfishyall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiper park position

Hi,
My wipers sit too high off the cowl when stopped. I've read up on how to re-index them. The problem I have is that when I first turn on the wipers, they immediately drop down several inches, to what I think is the park position, and then they go up. See the video. Thus, if I re-index them so they sit at the correct height, they will then drop down to below the glass when first turned on. I also wouldn't get good coverage at the top because they barely go far enough as is. Has anyone seen this before?
Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
wipers.wmv (2.69 MB, 5 views)
Old 09-23-2024, 01:50 PM
superfishyall

Hi again - Any chance someone could post a short video like mine, that shows one or two cycles of the wipers, including park (or a link to one)? I need to see how mine should actually work. Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM
superfishyall

It turns out that the wiper mechanism was aftermarket and was rubbing on the cowl in two places. I swapped in an OEM mechanism and it works great now. That said, I think a PO may have switched the wiper arms. The driver side blade extends about a half inch beyond the glass at the top. I thought maybe just the blades were wrong, but driver measures 20" and passenger 18".
Old Today, 09:55 AM
superfishyall

Yep, the arms are on the wrong side. The one on the driver side has LA on it instead of LD. With an aftermarket wiper mechanism and the arms on the wrong side, no wonder these wipers didn't work correctly before!

If anyone actually reads this, is there an online resource for identifying part numbers for every last nut and bolt on these cars? I have a lot of missing fasteners. I looked at https://nissan.oempartsonline.com/ but it doesn't get granular enough. For instance, I need some front fender bolts and the bolt that holds the A/T dipstick in, and those items aren't shown at that site.