MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Maintenance & Repair (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair-53/)
-   -   Do you have a Rough Idle? (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/8407-do-you-have-a-rough-idle.html)

Z33Fan 10-14-2002 12:54 PM

Do you have a Rough Idle?

After discussing this topic with many members, I thought it appropriate to post a poll, and find out what everyone else is experiencing.

Background:

From day one, my car has seemed to idle roughly, with little "burps" of exhaust noticeable from everywhere in and around the car. I filed a case with Nissan Consumer Affairs, and had it in for checks not once, but twice.

I was told, "this is a street-legal racecar. If you want smooth idle, buy an Altima." This is after sitting at the dealership for 2 hours while the techs sit on the phone with Nissan and the engineers in California.

So, the questions are listed. Select the one most fitting to you and what you are experiencing with your own car.

Again, thanks to all who vote. Please, if you don't have your Z yet, refrain from voting until you do. This will ensure accuracy in the results (and yes, Nissan does look at these posts - they asked me if I was a member here the last time I called.)

Enforcer 10-14-2002 01:10 PM

I pick, it does not idle rough at idle and never will. I don't know what your hearing, but I'm not hearing anything at idle, it's quiet. I don't buy the race car crap from the dealer. CVT shouldn't kick in much at idle.

Z33Fan 10-14-2002 01:36 PM

I agree, but I'm not the only one with this problem. There are a couple of reasons why this hasn't been diagnosed properly yet. One, the dealer told me they drove it around to try and replicate it, and couldn't (this tells me they don't listen well - I told them specifically at idle, not running). Two, there haven't been enough cars out there/in for service for them to have seen it before. Three, this could be a problem for the early VIN people, as we all know that there were problems with ECU chips in the beginning.

Enforcer - thanks for the opinion. It confirms my guess that something's wrong, although how you said it seemed a little harsh for some reason. No offense taken, though. Just wish I could talk with a more competent group of people (the dealer I take my car to is a 1st Choice dealer according to Nissan).

DIGItonium 10-14-2002 01:36 PM

It fluctuated yesterday after a cold start.... then I think it stabilized.

I do notice the slight popping and lack of smoothess when revving it... like in the video clip.

under 100miles so far... i've yet to push it either.

Enforcer 10-14-2002 05:18 PM

Originally posted by Z33Fan
Enforcer - thanks for the opinion. It confirms my guess that something's wrong, although how you said it seemed a little harsh for some reason. No offense taken, though. Just wish I could talk with a more competent group of people (the dealer I take my car to is a 1st Choice dealer according to Nissan).
Not aimed at you, apologies if it sounds that way. Not the first time I've been accused of being too blunt. :D You and others are doing great. :icon04:

I aim it squarely at the dealers where it belongs. Their incompetence never ceases to amaze me. I throw this in the same category with the throw-out bearing reports. People are starting to report some genuine issues and the dealers seem to me like they are trying to bluff their way out. Hope I'm wrong. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Still wish we had a separate topic forum for problems, would be much easier to track these.

:)
Enforcer

barnicleboy 10-14-2002 07:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Z33Fan
[B]I agree, but I'm not the only one with this problem. There are a couple of reasons why this hasn't been diagnosed properly yet. QUOTE]

You do have a problem, no new car should idle ruough, espeicially the z which is all electronic. yea OHV big blocks with Carburators and mechanical ignition can idel rough, not this car you have an engine problem.

I have had my z for 1 week, idle was the first thing i checked, it should be still as an arrow at 700-800 rpm.

UFO 05-12-2003 07:51 AM

Purrs like a kitten. Tach needle barely fluctuates. No grounding kit either.

UFO 05-12-2003 07:58 AM

Originally posted by Enforcer
Still wish we had a separate topic forum for problems, would be much easier to track these.
You mean the Problems and Maintenance forum?

labshark7 05-12-2003 10:38 AM

Mine purrs like a lion :-).

Actually the car idle is more stable and smooth than any machine I have ever owned.

Are you using 91 octane fuel?

Eric

phile 05-12-2003 07:09 PM

I run 93 octane fuel. Not only does my car idle rough, sometimes at the peak of the very first REV when I start the car, I get a scratchy rattle. I brought it to the dealer TWICE! I hear the rattle almost every day. We let the car sit overnight the second time, and they managed not to hear it. Really annoying...and lately I'm getting a scratch noise when I disengauge first gear (only after a cold engine start though).

syf0n 05-12-2003 09:07 PM

I installed my grounding kit last week and the difference was very noticeable. Very smooth, better throttle response.

labshark7 05-13-2003 02:20 PM

Phile,

What are the temp. conditions in which your car is parked overnight?

I am in Tucson, so the temp never dips below 70F, in my garage that is.

Have you tried a different viscosity oil, or changed the tranny oil to synthetic?

Eric

wadd3456 05-13-2003 03:21 PM

Interesting this came up.

I had 0 rough idle problems in the past. I installed a grounding kit and injen (ver 1) intake. Still no problems.

I then installed the second version of the injen intake with the inline filter (for oil overflow).

Now it idles a little rough and burps every 10 seconds or so. Even pulling up to lights it will idle REALLY low and almost stall over and over again. It really idles bad when the electric fans kick on too.

Silver Bullit II 05-13-2003 05:53 PM

Rough idle

If you have a rough idle, try some Techron. Even in a new car it doesn't take much, or long, for marginal gasoline to clog the injectors. JMS in TX

A17Z 05-13-2003 09:01 PM

I noticed misfiring during idle and brought it to the dealer. They hooked up consult and it came up as a 2nd cylinder misfire. They replaced the 2nd cylinder injector and they thought they fixed it. I brought it back and it is now coming up as multiple cylinder misfire. To make a long story short, they basically said they couldn't help me. My car is currently at another dealership and I will find out more this week. I listened to newer Zs and they definintely run smoother. So if you are suspecting rough idle, have them hook up consult and see if any codes are being set off.

phile 05-14-2003 07:22 AM

Originally posted by labshark7
Phile,

What are the temp. conditions in which your car is parked overnight?

I am in Tucson, so the temp never dips below 70F, in my garage that is.

Have you tried a different viscosity oil, or changed the tranny oil to synthetic?

Eric

It drops below 50 here usually, but we've had really unpredictable weather (central Ny, next to lake Ontario). I just had an oil change at the dealership, and it seemed like it was going to be better....it's not...at all. Idles rough, I get that start-up rattle, and I get a scratching noise from the tranny, and the tranny clunking....

03daytonablue 05-14-2003 10:40 AM

I have installed the Injen CIA and have driven about 3500 miles with the injen installed. I now notice the same problem as some one above said my car idles rough then idle will drop really low which causes this blurping sound for a few seconds. I was going to take it to the dealership and see if they should set the idle about 100 rpms higher maybe but then I thought they will probally say it is my fault for installing the CIA and I would be S.O.L.

wadd3456 05-14-2003 01:34 PM

Exactly, no matter WHAT you say the problem is, the dealer will say "its the intake, its the wiring, its this its that" Ive been there, done that enough times not to even bother.

daking350 05-18-2003 02:32 PM

rough idle

Originally posted by A17Z
I noticed misfiring during idle and brought it to the dealer. They hooked up consult and it came up as a 2nd cylinder misfire. They replaced the 2nd cylinder injector and they thought they fixed it. I brought it back and it is now coming up as multiple cylinder misfire. To make a long story short, they basically said they couldn't help me. My car is currently at another dealership and I will find out more this week. I listened to newer Zs and they definintely run smoother. So if you are suspecting rough idle, have them hook up consult and see if any codes are being set off.
I recently had the same problem but I had an Injen CAI on my car,but the dealer was pretty cool about it and hooked it up to the diagnostics and came up with a 4th cylinder misfire then a multiple cylinder misfire but only at idle...They also said that it was running too rich with an "alpha" of 130 (whatever that means) any way of course it was my intake right, so they said come back with the stock air intake and they would fix it.I came back about 20 minutes later and they ran the same tests with no codes and an "alpha" of 99-104 which i was told is normal....So they said it was the intake causing it and to see how the car ran and if there were any problems bring it back..Well guess what, it still does the same thing with the stock set up..so now what???to me it sounds like an ignition problem or ECU problem but what do I know I only drive the car every day...Any one have any suggestions other than sell my "Z" and buy a Vette???

ranger5oh 05-18-2003 05:37 PM

I have this same rough idle problem. It isn't so severe I would complain about it, but my car cost 30k dollars. I expect a lot. The problem is all of us bought the first year model.. bad move by all of us, all these problems will get curbed by the '04 model. Trade em in in '04!