Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

POST Here to see which VIN's have Tranny issues.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 04:31 AM
grogsnorf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

455 Okay............1100 miles
Old 11-04-2002, 11:13 AM
Bjmnzzzz

Sorry to hear the about these disappointing troubles with the MT, and I hope all issues are resolved satisfactorily and with minimum hassle.

However, to all the naysayers in the group that chose to flame those of us electing to order the 5AT, may I simply smile, tongue in cheek, and say, that after nearly 2500 miles of very aggressive driving (after breakin) my car continues to shift precisely and smoothly without any of the challenges mentioned in this thread. I absolutely love the flexibility of autoshifting in heavy traffic, but manually shifting with great alacrity, when my need for speed rears its thirsty face!

This is my fifth Z. My first with automatic, and my very favorite ride, bar none! 'cept maybe my SLK320 I purchase two years ago, but that is in a bit different class. I will say, the Z tiptronic is much better designed and more intuitive than in the MB.

I've spent the last two days in Las Vegas and I have to happily report that it is truly a pedestrian traffic stopper along the always jam packed Las Vegas strip. Oh, yea, and I have now left after winning enough money on the Blackjack tables to pay for half of my extensive aftermarket upgrades!

Sometimes life is more than fair! Keep on Z'in
Old 11-05-2002, 02:10 PM
theZman

SS Track, 6 MT, VIN 4296, no tranny Issues whatsoever.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:02 PM
drivebywire

I dont have the grinding sound but I do experience a loud "klick" or "kutk" sound in 1st and 2nd gear usage. Vin 3873. I am not sure what it is... 200 miles so far...
Old 11-05-2002, 10:27 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

VIN 1174, had it since August and over 5000 miles, and no problems. Shifts feel very nice, and it goes into gear easily even at redline.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:50 PM
Selski12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have the grinding sound but I do experience a loud "klick" or "kutk" sound in 1st and 2nd gear usage. Vin 3873. I am not sure what it is... 200 miles so far...

I get the same going from 1st to 2nd. Feels a bit harder to get into 2nd also. My 5th gear grind is still their but not as loud now. 600 miles. Our Vins btw is close, 3519
Old 11-06-2002, 12:19 AM
z461

When I shift out of 1st to 2nd and lift off the accelerator BEFORE pushing in the clutch I hear a loud clicking sound from the tranny... Also, my clutch feels like its slipping already, I tried the test to see if it was but it's not (you put it in 3rd gear at around 2000RPM and jab at the gas pedal, if it's slipping you'll see the engine rev but the clutch won't grab and you won't accelerate). The clutch feels almost like an on-off switch and also catches near the very top. I used to have a gear grind when going into 1st gear around 3-4mph but now it's gone. I have 2500 miles and am Vin 461.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:27 AM
goracer

Vin 953...close to raceboy's!

- Definate whine in 1st - 3rd, don't really notice it 4th+. Is this enough to inidicate a wrong calibration?
- Engages not too far off floor, but not immediately either ~1/4 off floor.
- VERY hard to shift into 1st while moving, but seems I read that was common. Is that common after the fix ..abiss and raceboy?
- Stiff shifting cold and occasionally at high RPM (downshifts in particular) - but nothing common or terrible.
- Overall I thought I had to live w/ the whine and I'm generally pretty happy w/ the shifting - though I have to rev match pretty close to usually shift smooth.
- Took it to the suposed best dealer around for a steering wheel vibration problem - and he said it drove and shifted normally.

Any advice is welcome. I'll reread all the previous posts after I get some sleep.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:35 AM
drivebywire

Originally posted by Selski12
I get the same going from 1st to 2nd. Feels a bit harder to get into 2nd also. My 5th gear grind is still their but not as loud now. 600 miles. Our Vins btw is close, 3519
Selski12,

Is it getting better or still the same. I dont hear anything on 5th, but I will check it again today...

Do you get some condensation in headlights in nights or cold weather?
Old 11-06-2002, 08:17 AM
ChicagoEZ

Default 905

905, occasional grind from 2nd to third that just appeared at 3000 miles
Old 11-06-2002, 08:37 AM
Selski12

Condensation, yup!! At the top left of both headlights. About the shifting getting better, I dont know yet. Once I get more miles out of it maybe i will start noticing it.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:44 AM
3rdpower

This is not good - I think I may be one of the folks with an issue.

I have experienced 1st to 2nd shifting problems. I had grinding which I think psychologically I have worked around. It does, however, grind gear to gear every once and a while - especially during spirited driving . I actually had a very bad experience leaving a light and swift shifting... I put it in first... hit it... put it in second and punched it and an EXTREMELY LOUD pop sound occurred. My sister with me thought the car had been hit from behind. Fact of the matter is the car popped out of 2nd gear which was really bad :-(. Shifting use to be notchy and that's loosened up and replaced with stiff shifting between first and second - very difficult to deal with at times. I have to apply a bit more pressure pushing it into first. Second can be a bit notchy and third has caused a few grinds, but then 5th through 6th is easy as pecan pie.

I do NOT want to go through the hole dealer test it crap which I know I'm going to have to go through. Any information on a direct NNA contact or process to expedite the process would be greatly appreciated.

My next visit I'll have to resolve the following issues at the dealership:

Rattling passenger mirror (minor)
Oil on window from power window roller (minor)
Bose Amp Fix (medium)
Tranny Issue (research - possible major)

VIN # 879
Old 11-10-2002, 02:54 PM
integraowner

Default clutch distance

My Z works about like 3rdpower's.

However, one thing I notice is that I have to depress the clutch all the way to the floor in order to shift smoothly, but it doesn't grab fully until near the top. I don't like such a long throw on the clutch pedal. A short throw shifter is of limited impressiveness if the clutch has such a long throw to get it's job done.

I also notice that from a dead stop, idling, if I push the clutch all the way to the floor then ease the shifter towards first gear, I can hear the driveshaft turn and "clunk" - implyig the clutch isn't fully disengaged?

Anyone else have that?
Old 11-10-2002, 03:46 PM
Brad4rdHay

If you guys are refering to a sound that can best be described as a very faint, "airy cough" noise, then yes, I have that when going into 1st and 2nd. Should i tell the dealer?
Old 11-11-2002, 10:05 PM
mike952

Originally posted by CoachZ
ABout two weeks ago I developed a 3rd gear grind, especially for the first few shifts in the morning. VIN 690.
When you say develop 3rd gear grind...are you referring to a grind because you tried to push the gear in...and it didn't go in as you expected..but it was too late as you started to pull the clutch a little

OR

grind as in, gear is in...and grind occurs when clutch starts to engage...???
Old 11-11-2002, 10:21 PM
mike952

Default Re: clutch distance

I also notice that from a dead stop, idling, if I push the clutch all the way to the floor then ease the shifter towards first gear, I can hear the driveshaft turn and "clunk" - implyig the clutch isn't fully disengaged?

Anyone else have that?
That sounds like the synchros. To make it more prominent do the following and you should hear it ..but more obvious:

1 - once car is in 2nd gear, press clutch release throttle...and slowly try to push it into first gear without pushing it all the way. It will resist as it can't go in at that speed without first throttling a bit...but you should hear the synchros spooling up... This is probably the same thing you are hearing at idle....but the opposite, synchros slowing down (since you came to a stop after moving).

My guess is, you should not hear what you are referring to...when pushing into 1st gear after starting the car....
Old 11-11-2002, 11:23 PM
Selski12

Ok i think i have figured out the grinding sound i get on some gears. It seems that the rattling of the shift **** is hitting a metal object (plate?) in the shift gate.

I know this because when i heard a grinding sound on 5th below 2K RPM, I held the shift **** to the left, while it is in 5th, and the sound went away.

The sound is definately different from the synchros. It is more like metal to metal.

Does anyone know if there is a metal shift gate inside the leather boot?
Old 11-15-2002, 05:10 PM
Brad4rdHay

bump....
Old 11-18-2002, 05:54 AM
6kLaunch

Default Clutch TSB issued?

My ride also has a very low clutch engagement point. Has there been a TSB issued on this Problem??

Quick Reply: POST Here to see which VIN's have Tranny issues.