Notices
Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

Cosworth Intake Manifold /w Carbon Ends for our Drift GTR (Brian Crower Stroked VQ35)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
Tempers are running high in this thread.
seriously, and it isn't even my fault
Old 03-30-2010, 04:36 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As much as I love experimentation I'm honestly perplexed as to why you would even do such a swap. In any case I look forward to future updates.
This is just an assumption but I guess it was easier to get it RWD with the VQ, than trying to figure out the GTR's electronics to make RWD work. But still, i'm with you on this one.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
This is just an assumption but I guess it was easier to get it RWD with the VQ, than trying to figure out the GTR's electronics to make RWD work. But still, i'm with you on this one.
Even if that was the thought process I don't see what that really has to do with the motor. To take an in essence factory stroked, factory twin-turbocharged and vastly improved VQ35 which essentially what the VR38DETT is and to replace it with a motor with older technology which you plan on stroking and turbocharging with aftermarket products just throws me for a loop.

Gruppe-S can you share with us the thought process behind the decision? This is in no way an attack on your company or your decision with this project. I'm simply curious.

Note: This is also not a knock on Brian Crower products as I have spent my own good money on a BC stroker kit for my personal vehicle.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Gruppe-S
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if that was the thought process I don't see what that really has to do with the motor. To take an in essence factory stroked, factory twin-turbocharged and vastly improved VQ35 which essentially what the VR38DETT is and to replace it with a motor with older technology which you plan on stroking and turbocharging with aftermarket products just throws me for a loop.

Gruppe-S can you share with us the thought process behind the decision? This is in no way an attack on your company or your decision with this project. I'm simply curious.

Note: This is also not a knock on Brian Crower products as I have spent my own good money on a BC stroker kit for my personal vehicle.
Hey no problem its an honest question. Basically the VR38DETT Motor is certainly a strong platform, but there are a couple problems in trying to use it for the sake of drifting. First the level of aftermarket product support for that motor, since it is still relatively new, is not strong yet, we still have the OEM VR38DETT but until we have more time to research and develop the motor and test it for reliability under racing conditions (Especially for drifting, since drifting is very detrimental to a motor and drivetrain) we felt that we would utilize a strong and proven platform for a powerplant in order to remain competitive. The VQ motor though it is an older motor, is just about bulletproof, you can create incredible amounts of power with a high level of reliability out of it.

We are actually working with some companies in producing stronger internals and a stroker kit for the VR38 motor, and we have some high expectations and goals for that motor, but it all comes with time, research, development and testing. Also the drivetrain is very complex from Nissan so in order to produce a system that would work well in Drift is even more time in research and development, which includes a custom transmission and drivetrain conversion (which we ended up doing similarly with the VQ we are working with). Basically our answer to the question is that in order to use the VR38DETT as a platform, and most importantly to do it right, will take more time and development. So keep an eye out, when we get further to that point we will definitely keep the automotive communities informed.

I hope that answers your questions, if you have any more please feel free to keep throwing them out there we always like to hear feedback and the thoughts of our fellow enthusiasts.

Last edited by Gruppe-S; 03-30-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Ivory

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
My comment wasn't even meant for you so relax. There is so much wrong with your post its hilarious.
Would've been fine to end with the comment wasn't meant for me. But I digress.

Back on topic:

Love to see the custom turbo setup for the VQ.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:01 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Gruppe-S
Hey no problem its an honest question. Basically the VR38DETT Motor is certainly a strong platform, but there are a couple problems in trying to use it for the sake of drifting. First the level of aftermarket product support for that motor, since it is still relatively new, is not strong yet, we still have the OEM VR38DETT but until we have more time to research and develop the motor and test it for reliability under racing conditions (Especially for drifting, since drifting is very detrimental to a motor and drivetrain) we felt that we would utilize a strong and proven platform for a powerplant in order to remain competitive. The VQ motor though it is an older motor, is just about bulletproof, you can create incredible amounts of power with a high level of reliability out of it.

We are actually working with some companies in producing stronger internals and a stroker kit for the VR38 motor, and we have some high expectations and goals for that motor, but it all comes with time, research, development and testing. Also the drivetrain is very complex from Nissan so in order to produce a system that would work well in Drift is even more time in research and development, which includes a custom transmission and drivetrain conversion (which we ended up doing similarly with the VQ we are working with). Basically our answer to the question is that in order to use the VR38DETT as a platform, and most importantly to do it right, will take more time and development. So keep an eye out, when we get further to that point we will definitely keep the automotive communities informed.

I hope that answers your questions, if you have any more please feel free to keep throwing them out there we always like to hear feedback and the thoughts of our fellow enthusiasts.
Gotcha. Thanks for the quick, direct and thorough response.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Gruppe-S
Vendor - Former Vendor

Bump!
Old 06-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Gruppe-S
Vendor - Former Vendor

Bump!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Bump!
why are you bumping an image post?
Old 06-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not bump this thread?

Gruppe-S........
good luck to you guys! hope you guys do good the rest of the year. tell eddie if he needs anything, give us a call. Car is a beauty from ground up!

Johnny Tran
Jtran Studios
Old 06-11-2010, 01:17 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Its not that hard to convert it to Rear-wheel drive.

[IMG]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NLI2dDPne-A&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NLI2dDPne-A&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/IMG]
Old 06-14-2010, 07:04 AM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by midz350
Its not that hard to convert it to Rear-wheel drive.

[IMG]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NLI2dDPne-A&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NLI2dDPne-A&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/IMG]
it isnt, but having that trans hold up to the serious abuse of just one formula d event is craZY.