Photo Tour: Z Car Garage, San Jose, CA

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 06:09 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Unfortunately, we had a series of articles planned with Rob and Z Car Garage that never made it beyond the discussion stage when Nissan Sport was forced to close operations. It would have been marvelous to have worked on those with Rob- tell him I said hello if you can.

As for the attention to detail, I think that's an important trait for a shop to have. The things you mention make an impression on those who know their own cars and have an inkling of how to do things RIGHT. And yes, that can be a sales tool, but I'm surprised more repair shops don't take advantage of it. The expertise and care put into a repair will pay off for the more knowledgeable consumer (who will also bring in more business to the shop). It's the kind of "corporate values" that can't be easily faked and are usually overlooked by the average consumer looking for the cheapest deal.
I will say hi to Rob for you for sure. I'll see him next week after the races.

"Sales tool". heh heh.... as a career Sales/BD guy, I can totally relate. But yes, especially in this day and age where one slip up causes some person - whether a knowledgeable customer or not - to get on his/her phone and crap all over an otherwise great business on Yelp is a sad state of affairs. Kinda like sliming someone on a forum without first trying to go person-to-person and work it out.

But in any case, yes, it's a rare commodity, that thing called "customer service".
Old 05-31-2017, 04:23 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Default Field Trip!!

*** As usual, long a$$ post but mostly pics!! ***

Been a while since I visited Disne.... er, MY 2nd happiest place on earth. (The first is Laguna Seca/Monterey, not Uncle Walt's. )

I mean, where else can I go that's so close to my house that I can share my madness for all things Z with an even bigger fanatic than I, Rob Fuller and the crew at Z Car Garage?

And to be surrounded by all shades of Z's, every generation, and other interesting Datsuns and Nissans.

So why was I there today? Well, if you've followed my Z-aniness, you might recall that I picked up a beautiful ZR recently (and that I'm selling it to a good friend shortly). Wanted Rob and the crew to have a look see for anything I wouldn't have spotted if it were on stands in my garage.

And a baseline transfusion of all the drive fluids.

But you don't care about that. And neither do I when I get a chance to peek behind the scenes of one of best shops I've ever had the pleasure of working with. I can't say that about any of the other shops I've used over the years.

Something I'll reiterate from the first post in this thread: I get NOTHING out of writing this. No marketing dollars, no discounts, no preferential treatment, nada. What I get is knowledgable, courteous, thorough services for my Zs on stuff I don't do myself. The only shop I trust to do so.

'Nuff said, onwards...

Rob's car - the Daily, I think.

But then again...

...more Rob cars. Laff!

Honestly don't know - because I never asked - who all the lot cars belong to, I'm sure there's more than a few registered to this fellow named "Fuller". Hahaha.

OK, how's this for truth in advertising?

Name this car.

Bigger hint:

With Rob at Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway's "Spring Classic" a few weeks ago. (More about that event here: https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-r...azda-lsir.html)

So inside the "showroom" and around the shop, I always enjoy looking at the "toys" and cadre of parts "just around"...

Anyone remember these? Rarer than the American Racing Libre wheels from the '70s... Even I can't remember their name. (Let's not go down the "old" path. Ha!)

OK, can't relate to the old skool stuff? Here, just for you kids...

Slobber, slobber, droooooooool.

And speaking of parts, the fun doesn't stop at ground level.

Rafters fulla race car parts. These doors are from another Joel Anderson race car.

If you don't recall who that is, let me remind you as I re-visit one of my favorite "old racecars", Rob's IMSA GTU car campaigned back then by Joel Anderson (if you need more history, see first post of this thread.)

Really ticked off at myself for setting depth of field so narrow on this shot because it really would have been a cool shot with the original S30 and the modern day Z34N on the lift. Oh well, you get the picture. No pun.

So while I shot some video of one of the cars being worked on in the main shop - engine running, very loud and I can't post on YT because I shot it with license plate showing. Ooops. - in the next room, you could hear the unmistakable sound of a 33 on a dyno pull.

Here, a shot of the "Room of Truth"

It was the Red Z33N on the dyno. (No, I don't have the results and even if I did, I wouldn't post them.... It's Rob and the owner's secret. ) There were several Nismos in the shop while I was there. Maybe the owners of the red or gray one are on this forum?

Now, to pick a favorite car each time I'm there, well, it's a little game with me. Last time it was a near-black gray S30. Time before that, it was a black S30. Guess what this time?

And check out the slick Dime SEDAN...

So, back to the S30... not going to give you any details on it as again, Rob and owner's secrets (and now me, but I'm sworn to secrecy.) However, I'll leave that car now with this one little "What's wrong with this picture?" picture.

And finally, the real top, er, shop dog...

Oh, the results of the ZR's looksee? Minor stuff. Needs tires, needs alignment, and this...

...good ol' diff bushing. Ehhhhh. No biggee.

So, as I did in my first post, I have to give a big thanks to ZCG for not just "getting it done" but doing it with total commitment and attention to detail. And special props to Josh, who has done most of the work on all of the cars I've had in (my '03-33, my 33 Niz, and now the ZR). Last time I talked about the microfiber towel strategically placed (see first post).

Now get this, not only did he "get 'er done" but he set the clock on my radio which was off by some 5-1/2 hours. That's thorough!

So yes, a good day for me. Actually, any day I'm not meeting demanding, whiny clients is a good day. A visit to Z Car Garage makes it even better.

My S30 has a ways to go but boy, did I get inspired.

Indeed.
The following 2 users liked this post by MicVelo:
sofakiing (06-25-2017), StevSam (05-31-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 09:25 PM
SPM350Z

Received 163 Likes on 97 Posts

Hey Mic...not sure if you're going to be around this Friday but I'm bringing my Z in for a check up with Robb at 7am. I called to make an appt with him a few weeks ago on a Friday....not only did Robb pick up himself but he was at the RACE TRACK and still talked to me for a few mins about making the appt...this on what was clearly a day off for him. So needless to say my first impression was just awesome...not really a surprise though based on this thread and all the great things on Yelp about he and his garage.

Anyway, if you're around and feel like coming by the Z garage in any one of your sweet rides I'd love to meet you in person.

-Shawn
Old 06-13-2017, 04:17 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by SPM350Z
Hey Mic...not sure if you're going to be around this Friday but I'm bringing my Z in for a check up with Robb at 7am. I called to make an appt with him a few weeks ago on a Friday....not only did Robb pick up himself but he was at the RACE TRACK and still talked to me for a few mins about making the appt...this on what was clearly a day off for him. So needless to say my first impression was just awesome...not really a surprise though based on this thread and all the great things on Yelp about he and his garage.

Anyway, if you're around and feel like coming by the Z garage in any one of your sweet rides I'd love to meet you in person.

-Shawn
Hey Shawn, I'll play it by ear but yeah, that'd be great! I need to stop by to talk to Rob so I'll try to swing by. If all goes well over next couple of days, I may have a "new reason" to stop by as well!
Old 06-13-2017, 05:31 AM
SPM350Z

Sounds good Mic. Forgot to mention my appt is at 7am. Hoping to be out of there by noon to avoid traffic.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:38 PM
SPM350Z

Had a great experience at the Z Car Garage today. I brought it in for a check up and per Robb everything looked fantastic…didn’t need to add or change any fluids at all. He fixed the exhaust flutter my Invidia Gemini has had since day one(the mechanic who installed it said the flutter was just part of the design and I read online that many others had it too) but it always bugged me and it bugged Robb too...haha. So he adjusted it and filled it in and changed gaskets and now it’s totally sealed up. He also got my TPMS woked up and working…woot! When Robb casually mentioned I should get an Uprev Tune to make the most out of the exhaust and the plenum spacer I decided on the spur of the moment to do it. So glad I did…found another 8 HP and 13 more TQ and it’s REALLY noticeable. It pulls so much harder now in 2nd, 3rd and 4th and throttle response is much improved.

And as if the day couldn’t get any better I got to meet the famous(or should I say INFAMOUS) Micvelo! (I didn’t even think to get a pic) Mic- it was great to meet and talk cars with you and it was even better to hear you and Robb talk….I think you’ve both forgotten more about cars then I’ll ever know…ha ha. Here are the few pics I remembered to snap.

Sat with the shop mascot Kane for most of the day….he’s the whole package…simultaneously super chill but crazy spunky at the drop of a hat.
Photo Tour: Z Car Garage, San Jose, CA-4rnqpk5.jpg

Robb working his magic under the car.
Photo Tour: Z Car Garage, San Jose, CA-urjermu.jpg

On the Dynojet getting tuned.
Photo Tour: Z Car Garage, San Jose, CA-omfn6hy.jpg

The final numbers.
Photo Tour: Z Car Garage, San Jose, CA-rxvmeut.png

-Shawn

Last edited by SPM350Z; 07-05-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:46 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Welllll, it's FRIDAY, no more biz commitments and just one final blood draw done before my final therapy next week!

On the way home, stopped by Z Car Garage to say hi to Rob and the guys; but also to ask for some advice about my roadster (that needs to get going soon so I don't have to tow it to the shop next month. ) After many delays and postponements (MY fault, not theirs!), it's finally going in for dyno tune and assorted other stuff (wink wink). Short visit today but always good to be there cuz the guys are great and there's always a cool assortment of cars!

Ahhhhhhhh, so much Z..... warms my heart to see so much goodness in one place.

You've seen this one before (seemingly every post in this thread!) The ex-Joel Anderson IMSA GTU car now owned and driven by Rob. (See earlier post and link below for details on this one.) But besides the car, take a look at the shelving unit to the right.... that's some cool go-fast shid. FMIC, associated piping, a turbo set up I thought I saw, maybe not... (not really shown). Oh, and a functional popcorn machine. Haha... any shop worth their weight has one of those!!

For the full story on Joel and how the car came to be: http://www.zcarblog.com/2014/06/23/e...car-racer.html

Oh, and how many shops around have an R32 just casually parked out front? Haha. This is a Japan market, RHD Skyline (OK, to further overuse the term, "JDM", sigh...) All stock and gorgeous in it's "could be mistaken for an S13/14 by the casual observer" plainness. Love it!

Saved the best for last!

Take a close look at this car. Note the license plate. Anyone recognize it? Maybe from JCCS or other coverage in the media?

This is MISTER K'S PERSONAL CAR!!!

After being shuffled from shop to shop and not resolving some of its issues, it finally landed in the right place for all things Z! I knew the car was there a week or two ago but didn't expect to see it today thinking it'd have made its way back home by now. But wow, so glad to have had the opportunity to get this close to greatness!

And for anyone who doesn't know who Mister K (Yutaka Katayama) was (and apologies for chastising those who do), shame on you!! Laff... But ya, shame shame for claiming to be a Z-car enthusiast and yet, not knowing "the father of the Z car" (in much the same way Zora Arkus Duntov is lauded as the "father of the Corvette") Educate oneself here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yutaka_Katayama

Just absolutely gorgeous!!!

For details on this car: http://www.zcarblog.com/2019/01 (Courtesy of Z Car Garage and AlvinG - of badass SR20 Roadster "fame", haha, take that Alvin, yer "INFAMOUS!" J/K, Alvin, totally appreciate your hard work and knowledge in the Z and Roadster communities!!)

That's it for now! Next up (hopefully I don't have to bag out for some dumb reason like I had to in 2018 for sake of my health): 50-year-old-on-the-dyno!

Until then...
Old 01-18-2019, 11:32 AM
SPM350Z

Hey Mic...glad to hear you are doing better. And dayum....Mr K's Z looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. That is one clean *** classic Z. Awesome.

-Shawn
Old 04-04-2019, 12:12 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Preamble... I tell my wife every time I go to Laguna Seca that "I'm at my favorite place on Earth!" Proximity to the ocean, good food in Monterey/Carmel, and of course, race cars!!

But I think it's actually a tie with something a little closer to home (like 10 minutes away).

Another visit to Z Car Garage! I'll let the photos tell the story with just a little MicCommentary (well, maybe a lot.... laff.)

My roadster's been in Rob and Josh's immensely capable hands for a week and a half (not because they're slow, was waiting on parts). Picked up the roadster today and whoa-dayam, the ZCG magic has been worked on it. No more hot-start fuel starvation, no more mid-high-rev stumbling, no more electrical gremlins, and more!! (More detail in my roadster thread when I get around to it.)

Onwards then, shall we?

Do I qualify as having a "rubber fetish" when a sight like this causes brain stimulation?

No, no clue what model Nissan this is. Laff.... (Hint: it's not.)

It's obvious that enthusiasts are the main source of biz. Look at the condition of that S30! And of course, Rob's dime is my favorite 510 due to its subtle, clean-green appearance and packing a surprise punch under the hood. Not telling. It's not a secret but you can look it up if you're interested.

My car after test drive. Top's been up all week. T'heck with that, I can't drive it with the top UP!!! Blasphemy! Can't hear the exhaust (headers, DC piping, megaphone.... AKA "motoring music".) Was going to head up to the hills but it started to rain as soon as I got near my house. Ehhh.

Oh, and yeah, I know what you're muttering..... that white car.....

Only place I know where I can be guaranteed a "Skyline fix" any/every time I stop by. R32 for those with sharp eyes.

Coicidentally.....

RB25DET (above, below). No, I do not know (nor would I tell) if there's a connection between this and the car above.

Another full-on build. But wait....

...something's different about this one. I did not use a mirror to take this shot.

Real Fairlady Z.

Now of course, no visit to the shop would be complete without (yet) another shot of Rob's ex-Joel Anderson IMSA GTU car, forever in a prominent shop spot.

Now what was I saying about "clean S30s"? Holy ZedCar Batman, I could eat off of this one!

And there's always a race car or three in the shop.

And there's also "charming cars" there too! This little Bluebird has been a fixture at the shop for years.

If you go back a couple few posts, you'll recognize this car, Mister K's very own 240Z!!

But check it out.... Not only icons like Rob's GTU race car, Mr. K's personal car, THIS is yet another brush with Datsun/Nissan greatness...

No, it's not the original car that John Morton drove to his back-to-back championships in 1970-71. But it IS the car he drives at historic events! The original car was destroyed back in the '70s but this car was built with many original BRE parts including the motor, carbs, manifold, etc. It is generally heralded as the most historically accurate tribute car built based upon the original race car. And this thing screams with Morton behind the wheel! So.... when I jokingly say "I'm old", you still should be careful. John is older than me and was a champion before I ever got into a race car. Hahahahaha. But seriously, the man is legendary and so is this car.

This one is for all you Nissan guys with a love for race exhaust sounds. THESE are the real things and IMO, the only place straight pipes need to be. Laff. Tidbit..... when I worked for Datsun Competition, this exhaust system could be bought right out of the Comp catalog (or at my parts counter). Every thing from the headers to these tips.

So that's it for summarizing my visit to the Happiest Place on Earth. Oh wait, the Disney legal people just flew over in their black helicoptors. OK, fine.... "MY happiest place in San Jose!" Better?

Oh right, then there's this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy83...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-19-2019, 04:55 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

A trip to my "house of worship".

Quick visit to have some minor work done on the LRR (my roadster). Or as Rob and I agreed, "a work in progress". Having some residual heat soak events causing hot start issues but I think they whipped it..... possibly good ol' vapor lock, similar to the '73-74 S30s. A quick re-route and insulation on the "fuel distribution" segment seems to have done the trick (also known as a T-fitting to split fuel lines between the two Solex carbs. Laff....). We're going to monitor it for a while, maybe put it back on the dyno at some point to try and replicate the problem but we'll see if it needs it. (Hope not, my Z needs some dyno tune love. )

But my visits to Z Car Garage are more than just specific car related. Love chatting with the guys... today's conversation was with Josh, as he worked on perhaps one of the most iconic Z cars ever made. Not because it's tricked out or a pure resto. No, if you've read previous posts in this thread, you'll know that this is Mr. K's personal car. You know, Yutaka Katayama, "Father of the Z Car". The car now belongs to Johnnie Gable and her son, Kenny Ueda. Johnnie was Mr. K's long time administrative assistant and was in to have it maintained and "brought back to how it was". NOTHING wrong with the car, just little details needed to be done as the car will once again be shown at JCCS this weekend.

Honestly, for a nearly 50-year fanatic of the Z (from well before I could drive), being in the presence of such an icon in the Z world is a real treat to me. (Hence, the first line in this post.)

But a few other notable cars to share as always. Didn't have a lot of time this morning but here's the pick of the litter. (Also didn't want to take up any more of their time as they prep for Saturday's event.)

So it looks like four of the six generations were represented today. (As well as a few other non-Z Nissan/Datsuns, none of which I can show cuz they're covered.)

From S30s (above and below). Above in beautiful stock condition; below, in period ZG flares, duck tail, Watanabes, and fender mirrors.

An S130 getting what appeared to be brakes and/or suspension work.

A Z32 TT (one of several including the black one barely visible in front of this one.)

What appears to be a race/track trimmed Z33. Wing mounts empty and a roof scoop for who-knows-what. Ventilation? Mid-engine intake? Or maybe a "snorkel" for river runs off road....

Thassit for this visit . But I'll be back in October-November with my 33 for........

For now, a couple of parting (and self aggrandizing? ) pics of my "Pre-Z" LRR...

The following 3 users liked this post by MicVelo:
ajpasa (01-23-2020), dkmura (09-20-2019), JRSport018 (09-19-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 03:49 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Another trip to my "Disneyland of the South Bay Area". Just a quick visit to take care of some biz with Rob and to see what they've got around the shop. Never disappoints.

Almost always a GTR or two in or about. This time around, this sweet R32.

The bulk of ZCG's business is keeping S30s on the road with the latest goodies available.

Does this car look familiar? No, it's not my last S30 but it's done to a level above mine. Awesome clean.

I prided myself in getting my recent red S30 to a level of cleanliness to be shown off on a hoist. But this one is even cleaner! I looked at it with a tinge of jealousy. Hahahahaha.

For comparison, mine:

Dang.

Love these inside-looking-out views of Rob's and Mister K's cars.

Mister K's legendary Z car soon heading back South to its home (I think).

Another view of these fantastic S30s.

This one caught my eye due to the "hot roddiness" associated with it. G-flares, fat neg-offset Wats, BRE-tall spoiler. Great back-in-the-day mods that just never grow old. I'm sometimes tempted to get yet another one but with eyes on doing a fire breather rather than an OE restoration. Forget about resale, just build a clone of one of my original Z cars. (When "rice" was a compliment. Laff...... ) (But won't happen - not yet anyways - found another car I'm trying to get my hands on. Wink wink....

Just as always, there's at least one of every generation of Z in Rob's shop. The Z34s that roll out of ZCG always seem to be sporting some type of stealth coolness - superchargers, TTs, that sort of thing. No clue on this one but nice to see it there.

Z32TT

And another.....

My vote for coolest S30 in the shop is this green one. Just super clean and you never see this color!

And yet another sano 32.

And then there's this plain jane....

...resplendent in it's golden tinged roadwork dust (my street just got paved so there's tons of junk in the air), and faded, mismatched panels.

But toying with some "build/facelift plans" for some changes in the next year. Maybe. Every time I decide I want to do something, I look at the car and decide I like it plain and simple as is. So we'll see.

So..... 11 days until the big day!! Got any plans with your Zs on its 50th birthday?! I sure do! If you're in the South Bay Area or up in the SC mountains next Tuesday, look for the dork in theme wear. (See my change into "evening attire" in my "Happy Birthday Z" post: https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...-counting.html. Hahahaha.)

But hey, laugh all ya want; they wear ears and Minnie Mouse dresses in the real Disneyland and party hats at birthday parties!! So there.

ENJOY THE RIDE!

Last edited by MicVelo; 10-11-2019 at 03:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ajpasa (01-23-2020)
Old 12-11-2019, 09:12 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Another visit to the shop. Had some unfinished biz.

Or so I tell myself. Laff. I don't miss a chance to stop by, especially when I was at the hospital about two blocks away giving blood.

So we shoot the sh*t for a bit, I let Rob get back to work then wander and shoot pics. Just because.

I lead off with my favorite shot. Dunno why, just like it.

Besides the inside of the shop though.... always an interesting assortment of iron outside!

People think these G-flares are a fairly new thing. Nope. These were available when this S30 was new. The 70s were all about moulded flares though. No Dzus fasteners or screws, thank you. It was all about rivets, adhesives, bondo, and fiberglass. The one car that I did flares on back then had flares wider than these G-flares. In retrospect, it was probably a blessing in disguise when that car got totalled by a red light running taxicab because I'm sure those flares would have cracked after another few months. Hahaha.

I look at this car and remember when it came out. It was the THE Nissan I wanted. But destined to not get one then. Had too many other things going on in my life. Took 10 years then finally.... no G, a Z.

Rob's almost newest toy. He had the opportunity to drive this car at the recent CSRG (Classic Sports Racing Group) John Morton Cup at Sonoma Raceway (nee Sears Point Raceway, as I fondly recall it and will never stop calling it as such #getoffmylawn ), Well, he liked it (and the aspect of vintage racing - wheel-to-wheel-but-low-pressure ) so much that he bought this car (along with a couple of others; but that's another story and why I called this his "almost newest" toy). He'll be dialing this one in over the next season.

The interesting thing about this car is that it's NOT the original Bay Area Datsun Dealers car. It's a very good replica of the ex-Walt Maas car that was run out of F.A.R. Performance in Mountain View circa early 70's as I recall. And yes, I'm familiar with the original car. Watched it run a Sears and Laguna but I didn't supply parts for it as I started at Datsun a few years after the car (and their roadsters) ran. But, I did have a hand in supplying some Datsun parts to F.A.R. later on down the road (late 70s) either for in-house use or for one of the 280Z/280ZXs of Maas and Frank Leary (both national champs). Back in my Datsun Comp days, I'd regularly stop at F.A.R. (stands for "Foreign Auto Repair") and I'd drop off boxes of stuff and pick up parts for my own Datsuns there. Does anyone remember the names "Mulholland" shocks? How about "Interpart" sway bars? (manufactured by Tokico and Addco, respectively). My dealership was a part of the "Bay Area Datsun Dealers" group and it was a pretty tight circle of racers and crews who volunteered to help out at races. Fun times.

More info about the CSRG John Morton Cup: https://www.zcarblog.com/2019/11/25/...at-sonoma.html

Y'all can relate. But honestly, Z33s are pretty "standard fare" at ZCG and as such.... ho hum. Laff.

I could totally see myself behind the wheel of this R32! The R32 was the first Skyline GTR that I really took notice of. This was many years after my days at Datsun and while I knew of the provenance associated with the earlier Hakosuka and Kenmeri Skylines, it took this model with its semi-box flares, wing and the mighty RB26DETT motor driving all four wheels to get me all drooling wet over the then "modern day" Nissans - despite its unavailability here in the US. Still remember reading the first write-up about this one. Told my then wife I was going to work my gray market connections and get one - at any cost. Then she told me she was "with child" and our first kid was born 7 months later, ending my foray down that road for a while. Hahahaha. No regrets, I love my daughter.

One of Rob's personal cars.

Cheers and Happy Christmas!
ajpasa (01-23-2020)
Old 12-12-2019, 04:37 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

So I don't usually have updates (new pics of interesting Z cars at Z Car Garage) for a few months but this is a "special edition".

Last week, I took the pics (in the post above) and as I was snapping away, I shot the following, a sticker on the Bay Area Datsun Dealers B-Sedan 510 Rob owns.

Only yesterday did I read between the lines. Rob confirmed to me this morning that ace number one shop (and family) dog, Kane, had passed away last September!! I was devastated to learn this. I'm not usually a "dog person" but a few here and there tug at my heart and Kane was one of those dogs. He was cool, aloof at times, but a friendly, fun guy. I thought some of you who are customers of the shop, friends of Rob and Meghan, should know about this. He is missed.

But there's good news.

Meet Mister Tank...

...newest member of the Fuller and ZCG family. Met him this morning. While I told him he had big shoes to fill, he's awesome. He knows how to get attention and getting him to stand still for a pic was a chore. On top of that, he likes me! (I think. Hahahaha.) Mister Tank arrived from the NorCal French Bulldog Rescue group. ( http://www.norcalfrenchbulldogrescue.org/ ) who had him there after his previous owner passed away. So, win-win for all!

============================

OK, so since I didn't post this in the "Not Related To Zs Lounge".... here's some Z content for you.

Since I was there talking to Rob about some new work I'm having done next month, happened on a few cars that weren't there the last time I was there (days ago).

Now this is an interesting one that caught my eye.

(That's Rob's wife Meghan on the left and his mom, Carol, just off the plane from Florida in the center. My visit timing was great, got to meet the women responsible for keeping Rob in line, haha!)

So, my first thought was: "stripped shell, full restoration".

Boy, was it stripped! No floor pan, no interior panels, nothing.

So, as it turns out, this car has some provenance. It was mounted on the wall at Nissan Headquarters (not sure which HQ, presume Tennessee).

Check it out, tube frame, straight axles!! Laff.... I mean, a true tube frame. Joked that this was a "roller", in the truest sense. It rolls along at the touch of a finger.

It seems that this is going to be torn apart for body panels. Although frankly, not really sure how all the panels are held together.

So, everyone knows this car (on the right).

Yep, the reproduction of the BRE/John Morton 240Z C-Production racer which took the championships in 1970-71. As currently raced in vintage events like the Rolex, the Mitty at Road Atlanta, and below, at the Daytona Classic.

All good until you look a little closer.

This "custom body work" was done at the recent HSR (Historic Sportscar Racing) Classic 24 Hours at Daytona in mid-November 2019. John Morton was at the wheel and fortunately was not hurt in the "racing incident" shunt during one of the night stints. Looking carefully at it, damage was "limited" to the front end - which is all easily repaired - and to a couple scuffs on the side (above). But the roof.... hmmmm.... that's going to take some work.

As I stood there gawking at the damage and peering inside, I noticed something of interest (to me at least): no roll cage! It had the "back-in-the-day" four point rearward bar with triangulation but no forward caging! Wow. Rob told me they mentioned to John (sometime prior to the Daytona event) that they wanted to add a front cage section. John said: "Nope, that's how we did it back then." So there you have it, old school at its best! (Or in my case, #getoffmylawn )

Parts for the repair are inbound and will be under way shortly. Look forward to its return. Good thing it didn't get twisted into a ball like the original car. If you want to see how this all happened:

This pic tells a story as well.

John Knepp was one of the original team at Brock Racing Enterprises (BRE) along with Pete Brock. I didn't know him until the post-BRE days when he was one of the co-founders of Electramotive, the (primarily) Nissan racing development house in SoCal with Don Devendorf, team owner and driver. Met him only a few times at the track but he was a race car development whiz. He passed away from cancer a couple of years ago at the young age of 75.

So, a few more cars at the shop today:

My very first Z car (a '76 280Z) was this color so I had to snap this. Don't see this color on S30s anymore so this was a rare sighting.

A very clean all-original S30. Beautiful car.

Is that my car? Nope, not sure whose it is, a customer or employee.

But I had to shoot it next to mine.

OK...

Last edited by MicVelo; 12-13-2019 at 04:23 AM.
rustyschopshop (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 06:13 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Thanks for sharing
Old 01-21-2020, 05:23 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Yet another installment of "Yeah, I'd say that Mic likes Z Car Garage".

Visited the shop today (thanks for getting me in on short notice, Rob!) to have some baseline work done. I ruminated about a year ago that 2020 might see some things happen with the ol' Z33. Well, today, the refurbishment began (because it needed stuff.)

But, you didn't open this post to see my car on the rack. You came for the cars!

With each visit, I declare a "Mic's Favorite of the Day". With that said... my pick o'da day:

I love this S30. Period paint, period wheels...

...period headlight covers that aren't scratched, foggy or otherwise messed up. Just clean.

As always, there's a colorful Dime in the lot. This SEDAN with that trick air dam. Simple, effective.

Rob's last year's (and previous) Spec Miata. Retired for 2020. No more arrive n' drive.

But replaced with this one for '20 season. Note the familiar livery.

Taken from his ex-GTU racer! Excellent!!

I'm not usually enamored with the "bumperless look" - which seems to be so popular on 33s. But this bashbar looks pretty bitchin'!

People can say what they want about 34s. I still have a soft spot for white Z34Ns.

Now this.... I recognized it immediately just by the little hinge sticking out from the hole in the car cover. But wait..... it's "supposed" to have a roof!

The Rob/shop car.

Usually my favorite car (that seems to live at the shop); but the green one up top was one I'd never seen... so, this "famous" one took second banana today. Laff.

Besides, it's being torn down. I'm sworn to secrecy about it. (Because Rob couldn't/wouldn't tell me anything. Hahahahahahahaha!)

Met the owner of this pretty wicked G. Very nice car and owner.

You can skip the rest, just another basic ol' Z33....

...being worked on and...

...with the usual "shid that breaks on 33s".....

Will address this later in the year. Maybe. Psh, only 77k miles and the bushings are toast? C'mon! Oh wait.... and 17 years old. Hahahaha.

And here it comes from the test drive. Purring like a kitten. Only thing it really needs now is a trans.... which WAS in the works. Until it wasn't.

So until next time, when my pre-ordered Z35 Nismo is the first one into Z Car Garage....

...Gung Hay Fat Choy!!

Last edited by MicVelo; 01-21-2020 at 05:28 PM.
ajpasa (01-23-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 12:37 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Visited Z Car Garage today! First time in months! (Last time was pre-Covid, I think in the post above.)

But today's visit was a pass by. Said hi to Rob and Josh but Rob was "in the zone" so didn't want to bother him. When he tunes, he's in the zone. Gotta love that when a man takes his tuning that seriously! Laff.

Purely accidental that I was wearing my "Nissan jersey". First time out in it. It didn't fit when I got it. Now it does.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:12 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I cannot take any credit for the following vid; but thought true Z afficionados (of all years, all generations, and in particular, the race variants) would appreciate my passing this along:

It's 38 minutes long but for a Datsun nerd, it passes like five minutes. Enjoy!
SPM350Z (05-11-2021)