MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Media Share (https://my350z.com/forum/media-share-8/)
-   -   Project Interior Makeover... Sort of (https://my350z.com/forum/media-share/606817-project-interior-makeover-sort-of.html)

HoBrahYouStink 09-26-2015 01:10 AM

Project Interior Makeover... Sort of

1 Attachment(s)
I just thought Id share my upcoming plans with you guys. I've been wanting to change up my interior for a long time, well only been about 1 year and a half or so? idk lol but it felt like forever. I'm not naming the brands of what I'm getting, you guys just gonna have to wait and see. Anyways I've got 2 bucket seats w/mounting kits coming, 1 pair of harness (Passenger don't deserve a harness yet lol), harness bar, and new steering wheel set up. Doesn't sound much but it sure cost hell of a lot! Specially shipping to Hawaii :suicide:.

08andawesome 09-26-2015 05:00 PM

Good story bro :suicide:

turboed350z 09-26-2015 07:09 PM

Sounds like a death trap....

terrasmak 09-27-2015 02:02 PM

Nothing gets better swag points than making your car more dangerous.

Mad camber= swag points

Airbag removal (seat and steering wheel) = swag points

Racing harness without HANS device = swag points

You are on the way to unlimited swag points yo.

turboed350z 09-27-2015 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by terrasmak (Post 10657564)
Nothing gets better swag points than making your car more dangerous.

Mad camber= swag points

Airbag removal (seat and steering wheel) = swag points

Racing harness without HANS device = swag points

You are on the way to unlimited swag points yo.

dont forget, since this is a jap brand, he also earns double "jdm AF" points

terrasmak 09-27-2015 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by turboed350z (Post 10657581)
dont forget, since this is a jap brand, he also earns double "jdm AF" points

Yes, Bride seats, Takata harness and a japo wheel with get the most points. Quality like Momo, Sparco and formula are kinda frowned upon.

turboed350z 09-27-2015 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by terrasmak (Post 10657589)
Yes, Bride seats, Takata harness and a japo wheel with get the most points. Quality like Momo, Sparco and formula are kinda frowned upon.

now is that the jap bride or Taiwan bride? maybe Canadian bride? :thumbup:

Frank_White 09-28-2015 07:49 PM

note to OP.
never share your plans with this forum, it will be a buzzkill.
Do to mods, post pics, and laugh at all these haters

turboed350z 09-28-2015 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Frank_White (Post 10658092)
note to OP.

"Hater." Because potentially saving a life means im a "hater". Didnt realize hater was an advocate of doing things right instead of cheaping out. I thought a "hater" was someone who hate on your for doing better than they are. Kinda hard to be a "hater" on a cheap build.

Frank_White 09-28-2015 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by turboed350z (Post 10658094)
"Hater." Because potentially saving a life means im a "hater". Didnt realize hater was an advocate of doing things right instead of cheaping out. I thought a "hater" was someone who hate on your for doing better than they are. Kinda hard to be a "hater" on a cheap build.

what are you talking about man...? he didn't even mention brands, how do you know its a cheap build? :dunno:

besides ALOT of people do the modifications he listed, alot of people on car forums especially. so if you don't condone this behavior? why do you log on to this site?.

and your not saving any lives bud, your just an internet hater.

turboed350z 09-28-2015 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Frank_White (Post 10658107)
what are you talking about man...? he didn't even mention brands, how do you know its a cheap build? :dunno:

besides ALOT of people do the modifications he listed, alot of people on car forums especially. so if you don't condone this behavior? why do you log on to this site?.

and your not saving any lives bud, your just an internet hater.

Lots of people also kill themself yearly... hut you know, just because a lot of people does it, its ok right?

Save lifes.... geez by the FACT that the mods he mentions are actually DANGEROUS. But you know, you wouldnt know much about that. And your ignorance shows.

And cheap built... lets see, a proper cage, with padding, with helmet is over 3k. Vs a rinky dink bar thats probably 300. Cheap built.

Again, not a hater, just against stupidity. But i guess natural selection will take care of that.

HoBrahYouStink 10-01-2015 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Frank_White (Post 10658092)
note to OP.

DAMN!! Never thought people would get mad at me lol, I never really use the forums as much. Will do man, just waiting for them to come in.

HoBrahYouStink 10-01-2015 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by turboed350z (Post 10658113)
Lots of people also kill themself yearly... hut you know, just because a lot of people does it, its ok right?

Save lifes.... geez by the FACT that the mods he mentions are actually DANGEROUS. But you know, you wouldnt know much about that. And your ignorance shows.

And cheap built... lets see, a proper cage, with padding, with helmet is over 3k. Vs a rinky dink bar thats probably 300. Cheap built.

Again, not a hater, just against stupidity. But i guess natural selection will take care of that.

Uhhhh roll caging a stock car? Kind of pointless no? idk bout that lol plus its my Z is daily driven. Ahhh ill post pics when they come in, calm down at least its not really cheap parts lol.

turboed350z 10-01-2015 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by HoBrahYouStink (Post 10659542)
Uhhhh roll caging a stock car? Kind of pointless no? idk bout that lol plus its my Z is daily driven. Ahhh ill post pics when they come in, calm down at least its not really cheap parts lol.

Harness on a stock car? Kinda pointless no? Not to mention dangerous, rice and has no business on a street car. But you know, ill let natural selection do its job.

HoBrahYouStink 10-05-2015 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by turboed350z (Post 10659559)
Harness on a stock car? Kinda pointless no? Not to mention dangerous, rice and has no business on a street car. But you know, ill let natural selection do its job.

Oh yeah true but I guess I kind of meant to say its not as overkill as having a full roll cage lol. And yeah Ima do my thing with my Z and you do you =)

nextcore 10-08-2015 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by turboed350z (Post 10658113)

I'm curious, I've seen several posts from you saying harness belts and harness bars is dangerous. Can you elaborate? And before you say in case of a roll over and you're upside down, the harness keeps you upright and the caving in of the car's roof will cause head trauma... here is an excerpt from John Melvin (RIP) several years back on the issue.

"Injuries in rollovers generally result from the head or other body parts being partially ejected (or exposed) to the side window, head contact with the door frame (with a 3-point belt you are directed that direction), or in the body "dropping" onto the roof when the car comes to rest upside down.

During a rollover it is not unusual to see g-loads of 10 to 35. It is quite impossible to control any actions of the body by human force at much more than 5g if even that. You have absolutely NO POSSIBILITY OF CHOOSING THE DIRECTION OF YOUR BODY (ducking out of the way) You are basically along for the ride. Severe head and neck injuries usually occur NOT by the roof collapsing but by the body dropping down on the roof. During the event, the body is basically suspended in space (even in a harness), you have no opportunity or possibility to duck or move out of the way of a collapsing roof. At the end of the event (if the car is inverted) the risk is that the body drops down and the head hits the roof causing the head or neck injury.

A properly installed and worn 4, 5 or 6 point belt will help to keep the body properly positioned in the seat which is the best source of protection. A very tight lap belt might even get you an inch lower (further away from the roof). Most newer (1990+) cars have significant roof structures that even when collapsed provide more protection than you might imagine. Ask any EMT and they will tell you that they seldom see serious head or neck injuries resulting from a crushed roof."

Now obviously the more advanced (faster) you go the more safety equipment should be added. And the more safety equipment the better. In my opinion properly mounted harness belt/bars are just fine and i certainly wouldn't consider them a "Death Trap", if anything its slightly better than running a stock 3 point. I just wanted to hear your take on the whole debate of harness bar vs roll bar vs roll cage.

turboed350z 10-08-2015 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by nextcore (Post 10662580)
I'm curious, I've seen several posts from you saying harness belts and harness bars is dangerous. Can you elaborate? And before you say in case of a roll over and you're upside down, the harness keeps you upright and the caving in of the car's roof will cause head trauma... here is an excerpt from John Melvin (RIP) several years back on the issue.

"Injuries in rollovers generally result from the head or other body parts being partially ejected (or exposed) to the side window, head contact with the door frame (with a 3-point belt you are directed that direction), or in the body "dropping" onto the roof when the car comes to rest upside down.

During a rollover it is not unusual to see g-loads of 10 to 35. It is quite impossible to control any actions of the body by human force at much more than 5g if even that. You have absolutely NO POSSIBILITY OF CHOOSING THE DIRECTION OF YOUR BODY (ducking out of the way) You are basically along for the ride. Severe head and neck injuries usually occur NOT by the roof collapsing but by the body dropping down on the roof. During the event, the body is basically suspended in space (even in a harness), you have no opportunity or possibility to duck or move out of the way of a collapsing roof. At the end of the event (if the car is inverted) the risk is that the body drops down and the head hits the roof causing the head or neck injury.

A properly installed and worn 4, 5 or 6 point belt will help to keep the body properly positioned in the seat which is the best source of protection. A very tight lap belt might even get you an inch lower (further away from the roof). Most newer (1990+) cars have significant roof structures that even when collapsed provide more protection than you might imagine. Ask any EMT and they will tell you that they seldom see serious head or neck injuries resulting from a crushed roof."

Now obviously the more advanced (faster) you go the more safety equipment should be added. And the more safety equipment the better. In my opinion properly mounted harness belt/bars are just fine and i certainly wouldn't consider them a "Death Trap", if anything its slightly better than running a stock 3 point. I just wanted to hear your take on the whole debate of harness bar vs roll bar vs roll cage.

There is no definite proof that a harness bar is safer or more dangerous than the stock seatbelt. HOWEVER there are reasons why a harness is dangerous for STREET use and why manufacturer using the 3 poiny instead of the 4,5,6 point with a harness bar.

Its plain and simple, you dont mix race part on the streets. Dont run slick in streets and dont run harness on the streets. Racing items arent always safe on the streets.

A reason why the harness bar is so dangerous for street use is as follow, one, the bar itself, it could be a quality bar that can withstand impact, or its a cheap one that will crumble.

Two, the position of the bar itself, it can actually kill you if its positioned at the wrong angle.

Three, the way the bar is mounted. Weld is better than bolt on for obvious reasons.

Four, the most important one, a properly use harness is suppose to be tight and glue you too your sear, what that mean is that you can NOT turn around yo look at your surroundings and switch lanes/ turn safely. Blind spot do exista.

Five, the harness bar arent design to be use with stock seats and how safe they are with seats that can lean back is debatleable.

Sixth, there is a reason as to why they are illegal to use on the streets. These are NOT DOT certified and are advertised as "for off road use only".

Seventh, in the even of a crash and you can NOT leave the vehicle yourself, it makes things more complicated for the emt to cut you out of your belt. And in situations like that, every second counts.

Long story short, many have survived car crashes where if they HAD been wearing their seat belts, they wouldve die. Just because it happens doesnt mean its smart thing to do.

Dont use race designed parts on your car that you dont race

nextcore 10-08-2015 11:32 AM

Very valid points! And I can attest to this as my interior set up is definitely not Practical or Ideal for street usage. Especially when changing lanes. I hardly ever drive my car now but when I do its a pain in the ass however I fully intend to track my car more often in the coming years.

First, I would like to mention that if you are to swap in an aftermarket steering wheel with no airbag. You would need to support that mod with Harness belts along with a Harness/roll bar to accompany that, as well as a Fixed back seat (I don't feel comfortable with a seat that is movable and can fold). With that being said... Most of what you say can be applied to a car with a roll cage (granted it provides more structural reinforcement) but in fact its more dangerous to drive on the street unless you plan on wearing a helmet. So i agree with you that these things aren't meant for street usage.

I just wanted to touch a few things you said. (please keep in mind i don't completely disagree just a view of the other side of the coin.)

1- Harness Bar Quality- I understand this as I wouldn't want a bar that's flimsy and would fold under any sort of pressure.

2- I don't quite understand how the angle in which its mounted could kill a person (This is under the assumption that everything installed properly)

3- Although welding is better, a reminder that Stock seats are bolted in as well as the stock 3 point seat belt.

4- I absolutely agree with this. Its extremely hard to check around your shoulders.. definitely not good for street usage. This wouldn't matter so much on the race track.

5- Combination of things here.. proper racing seats with harness and harness bar.. i wouldn't recommend harnesses with a stock seat as well.

6- Majority of race safety equipment isn't DOT certified but they are FIA certified and are put through more rigorous stress tests.. FIA is an international body as the DOT is only US. These Equipment is intended for off road usage as well.. but it does not make them unsafe.

7- There are street Legal Belts for situations you have described. such as Schroth Belts - https://www.schrothracing.com/compet...m/profi-II-asm

turboed350z 10-08-2015 11:49 AM

As for how the angle can kill, the harness have to be at a certain angle, or wlse it can and will fracture your spine in a crash or worse.

As for fia vs dot. If its not dot, it is illegal to use on the streets in the us fia certification has little bearing on this.

And again, there are track items that shouldnt be use on public streets, one of them is harness another is slicks. Both illegal and can be dangerous.

As for as bolt vs weld, the stock seats are 4 bolts. I believe the harness bars are only 2. Thats means the harness has less connecting points. Which can be a easier to brake.

Stock set up is not the safetest but its alot safer.

nextcore 10-08-2015 01:00 PM

I'm still confused about the angle of the harness bar. Wouldn't a roll bar or a roll cage have a bar set up in the same area?

Anyway, you said that these equipment are illegal for a reason... and are not DOT certified for US public roads. This just means they did not go through US DOT certification process which just means it's not for legal usage on US public roads, -It does not make the equipment unsafe- especially if they are FIA certified.

Yes Stock Seats are 4 bolts as well as Aftermarket Seats they share Stock Mounting points (not sure where that was going). Stock seat belts have Two mounting points and one buckle mount point (Mounted onto the seat) Total of Three Points. As for the harness bar... They are mounted on TWO seat belt bolt in /mounting points (one each side of the car), Harness straps are then wrapped around the bar, and then two other straps are bolted into the floor or stock seat belt mount points at the floor. So technically 4 point harness (not even mentioning 5 and 6 pts) is more secure than a 3 point belt.

Anyway, I have my opinions on this and you have yours. And I understand that having safety racing equipment on the street isn't ideal and technically illegal because its not DOT certified (half the sh*t we put on our car isn't DOT Legal), but as I mentioned before it does not make it dangerous or a death trap. Now back to my original question, I was hoping for some better insight on why harness bars are so "dangerous". but Ive heard otherwise from many other people.