Notices
Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

Chewwy's Progress Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 05:34 AM
chewwyy

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Got my Motordyne exhaust last night. Cleaned it up a little bit, could use a little bit of a polish, but no complaints. Previous owner's car was pretty low, so there were a few scrape marks on the y-pipe and the muffler. Shouldn't cause any issues, and he gave me a little extra off the price because of it.

Motordyne TDX2 Shockwave
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (12-20-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 09:25 PM
chewwyy

Did some running around today to get the last few things I needed for the exhaust install tomorrow.

Previous owner lost a nut and chopped the V-Band off, not sure why...

Called Performance Improvements first thing in the morning, they had a Vibrant V-Band in stock and they set it aside for me.

I had a hard time finding a replacement nut for the V-Band clamp. I went to Brafasco, AC Delco, Home Depot, Lowes, and Canadian Tire before calling Bolts Plus, they had 6 in stock I bought all 6 just in case.

** FYI: The V-Bands Use M8x1 Nuts**
will be using two to lock them together, like Vibrant's Clamp

Fun part is tomorrow, pulling off the old exhaust and installing the Motordyne. I have a friend popping by early, going to try and have it done by mid-afternoon.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:18 PM
chewwyy

DONE!

Pulled the stock exhaust out. Had to cut the studs off the stock cats and replace with new bolts. Install was a breeze. V-bands are life. Made the job super easy.
Will post pics in a few days, finished late and it's dark now. Took it for a drive, and it sounds great, no drone, clean tone. Super happy.

The following 2 users liked this post by chewwyy:
carbuffguy (12-20-2017), rustyschopshop (12-26-2017)
Old 01-15-2018, 09:40 AM
chewwyy

Not much new for the Z, just been driving it, and trying to keep the salt off it as best as possible. I did notice a rattle from the back of the car. I looked online and it mentined to check and see if the EVAP Shield was hitting. I checked and it was pretty well touching my rear passenger exhaust pipe.

Bye Bye

and a pic from after I washed it right as the rain started

Last edited by chewwyy; 04-16-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:20 AM
sofakiing

Received 191 Likes on 108 Posts

good stuff man!

all the EXTRA maintenance you gotta do simply because of the climate would drive me nuts!
chewwyy (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 06:58 AM
chewwyy

Originally Posted by sofakiing
good stuff man!

all the EXTRA maintenance you gotta do simply because of the climate would drive me nuts!
Ha Ha... Thanks! I'm really hoping to get a second car or a Demo from work before next winter. My gas lid freezes shut and I need to thaw it out at the gas station etc.. It's a nightmare.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:15 PM
chewwyy

Big Day today. Hit 159,999 kilometres on my car. I've put on 25,000km since April 2017 already!

Old 01-19-2018, 07:15 PM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

ouch
Old 01-29-2018, 12:29 PM
chewwyy

Originally Posted by carbuffguy
ouch
ha ha.. My Plan is to buy a 2nd car in the fall, then park the Z for next winter

So, the other day I woke up to find my Windows wide open and frost on my Window Ledge. By that evening it progressed to the point where everytime I'd open my door, the windows would just roll down. I was nervous about leaving it anywhere at night, so on the weekend, after making a new puck to save my pinch welds and doing my oil change I decided to investigate.

So, I took off the inner door skin, then the door panel on the passenger side before realizing that wasn't necessary. I re-assembled everything but the inner door skin then realizing that the Passenger window was no longer working. I played with everything and couldn't figure it out, so I finished the Nissan TSB for the Window Motor Reset to see what would happen, knowing that the Passenger couldn't go down, was better than it going down on it's own. At first it seemed to work, so I left it in the garage overnight.

Sunday morning when I woke up, driver's window was open again. I took the car out in the morning for a bit, and since it was a beautiful day out, I decided to try and tackle the Passenger window issue and do the Reset again.

Put everything back together, Passenger window was working again, so I did the Nissan TSB Reset on both and all seemed fine again. I left it outside all day, then before I went to bed I checked.... AAND it was down again.

Today I reached out to a friend and Nissan tech and explained everything to him, he told me he was pretty confident it was my Driver's Side Window Switch and not the window motors. Awesome, went to price one out... $600 at the dealership....

So, Anyone have an 06-08 Driver's Side Window Switch laying around?

Old 02-06-2018, 07:19 AM
chewwyy

So, when removing my door panel I was following directions for an 03-05, not realizing that the 07 door panels came apart a little different. I ended up snapping these two tabs for the screws that go in from the backside. I spent a little time glueing them together the other day and fully re-assembled them last night, no issues. They held strong, and went together perfectly.

I also managed to source down a Driver's window switch. It is coming from Florida and should be at my US Postal Box by Wednesday/Thursday. I was able to save about $500. Found someone doing a part-out of VQ Nation.
KingBaby (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 08:35 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

courtesyparts has it for $417 us... not sure what converts to.

are the windows all the way down, or just a couple inches?
chewwyy (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 08:37 AM
travlee
Master

does amazon deliver up there? if so they have the switch for $33 us

Amazon Amazon
chewwyy (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 11:18 AM
chewwyy

Originally Posted by travlee
courtesyparts has it for $417 us... not sure what converts to.

are the windows all the way down, or just a couple inches?
That converts to about $520 CAD not including shipping.

The Windows roll all the way down once I open the door.

does amazon deliver up there? if so they have the switch for $33 us

https://www.amazon.com/Drivers-Windo.../dp/B076Q18879
Amazon does deliver, and that was the option I was going to try until I found the switch off VQ Nation. I live about 25 minutes from the border, and my US Post Box is right there. I got a switch shipped to there for $50 including shipping. It should be here on Wednesday/Thursday. I'll probably pick it up this week or next and update after I install the switch.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:57 PM
chewwyy

So, I got my new-to-me Switch yesterday and put it all back together. I pulled the car outside of the garage, opened the door and boom. Window's rolled back down again.

So, I decided to take a video to show exactly what's happening so people can see and help me diagnose. ** Immediately after I stopped the video, the locks clicked and locked both doors? **

Last edited by chewwyy; 02-12-2018 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:34 AM
chewwyy

Finally! I think I may have pinned down my window issue.

After another discussion with my friend/Nissan Tech after ensuring I have a fob to lock/unlock the doors he suggested I try unplugging the lock cylinder and seeing if I had any changes. So, last night after work, I tackled that project.

I noticed the plug on my lock cylinder was slightly wet

After unplugging the lock cylinder, I re-assembled everything and it seemed to be working, so I left it overnight because that's usually when the problem would re-arise if it didn't happen immediately.

This morning my windows were fine, and have been working properly all day so far. Fingers crossed that this is the source of the problem. Next step is looking into the replacement part.
carbuffguy (02-14-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 11:40 AM
travlee
Master

i would put some kind of dielectric grease on there to prevent it again
chewwyy (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 06:09 AM
chewwyy

i would put some kind of dielectric grease on there to prevent it again
That's a great idea, I've been recommended to use it on the past, especially when working on my VW's but have never bought any. I'll have to buy some for when I replace that part. Thanks!

Otherwise, everything seems to be working perfectly with that unplugged. Only issue is when I unlock the door via the key/keyhole, my alarm goes nuts. When using the fob I have no issues.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:23 PM
chewwyy

Not much to update, waiting on Spring. Took my car up to Hamilton and checked out a few breweries with a friend on the weekend.

Last night I did my oil change.

Been looking into replacing my OEM wheels as they are pretty beat. Planning to buy something cheap for now, and hopefully upgrade to something better next year.

Last edited by chewwyy; 04-05-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:24 PM
chewwyy

Been looking into replacing my OEM wheels as they are pretty beat. Planning to buy something cheap for now, and hopefully upgrade to something better next year.
^ This has changed. I am picking up wheels and tires this coming weekend as I sold my OEM GT wheels on Monday to a local. Nice guy, with an even cooler car, gave him a bit of a deal, but I was happy to get a little money to help me get wheels I really wanted. He will be refinishing them and using them on his Honda Accord daily driver which could turn out interesting.

I also ordered a set of Swift Spec R Springs and Energy Solutions Coil Spring Isolators. Rather than doing the Rear Spring Mount Mod, I decided to try these as they'd be more solid, and last longer. They should drop the rear roughly 1/2" to make it sit a little more level.

Updates coming soon about the new wheels.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:34 AM
chewwyy

Picked up my Wheels Saturday, Super happy with them
The Wheels/Tires are in great shape.
18x9.5/10.5 ET15 Enkei RPF1 SBC
245 & 275/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Also picked up a set of Project Mu Super Lock Nut 7's, they match the Enkei Valvestems pretty well.

I threw two on for a quick test-fit. I think the RPF1's will fit nicely once I install the Swift Spec-R Springs.