Notices
Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

Chewwy's Progress Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 12:39 PM
KRyn

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good! I am waiting for the weather to improve before I put my new wheels / tires on (or drive my car at all). After viewing your +15 offset front & rear I am worried that my +23 f/r won’t look as flush as I had thought. Hopefully my larger squared 285/30 setup will help.

Last edited by KRyn; 04-09-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:13 PM
chewwyy

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by KRyn
Looks good! I am waiting for the weather to improve before I put my new wheels / tires on (or drive my car at all). After viewing your +15 offset front & rear I am worried that my +23 f/r won’t look as flush as I had thought. Hopefully my larger squared 285/30 setup will help.
Are you on OEM suspension or Aftermarket? If lowered it will camber in a little bit, and will help. Same size wheels?
Old 04-09-2018, 01:22 PM
KRyn

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chewwyy
Are you on OEM suspension or Aftermarket? If lowered it will camber in a little bit, and will help. Same size wheels?
I am on mostly (after market dampers, stock springs) OEM suspension as I have prepared my car for Street Class rules under the SCCA. I have a 2007 Grand Sport, so I am running a 18x9 +23 upfront and a rear 18x10 + 23. With SCCA rules I was allowed + or - 7 mm of offset and the ability to increase or decrease wheel diameter by 1” (width has to stay the same). I am hoping it looks somewhat flush. The bulging 285s on the front will look kind of strange but I really wanted the ability to flip and rotate my tires to get more life out of them.

How loud is your exhaust setup? I am contemplating something similar.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:29 PM
chewwyy

Originally Posted by KRyn
I am on mostly (after market dampers, stock springs) OEM suspension as I have prepared my car for Street Class rules under the SCCA. I have a 2007 Grand Sport, so I am running a 18x9 +23 upfront and a rear 18x10 + 23. With SCCA rules I was allowed + or - 7 mm of offset and the ability to increase or decrease wheel diameter by 1” (width has to stay the same). I am hoping it looks somewhat flush. The bulging 285s on the front will look kind of strange but I really wanted the ability to flip and rotate my tires to get more life out of them.

How loud is your exhaust setup? I am contemplating something similar.
Ok, makes sense. Based on some quick calculations on willtheyfit.com it looks like you'll tuck about 14.4mm more than my RPF1's, so I'd say you should be fine!

I've been told people can hear me coming a good ways down the street, but my friends and I don't find it bad in-car. I have intakes and stock cats on my car. A little drone in 5th/6th at lower RPM ~ 2200-2800ish, but that is to be expected.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:39 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Chew, watch for fender clearance when you lower the car. Over a dozen sets of tires/wheels in varying configurations and I never had to do anything to my car at stock or lowered height UNTIL I put on +15s, then off to the fender roller guy. And those were just 9.5 +15s all the way around.

Of course, the benefit of that is that I can fit just about anything now - even with camber within spec range.

I loved this setup - too bad I got bored with it.
The following users liked this post:
chewwyy (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 11:59 AM
chewwyy

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Chew, watch for fender clearance when you lower the car. Over a dozen sets of tires/wheels in varying configurations and I never had to do anything to my car at stock or lowered height UNTIL I put on +15s, then off to the fender roller guy. And those were just 9.5 +15s all the way around.
Ha ha.. Funny you mention that. I've been looking at renting a Fender Roller locally. I was pretty confident I'd need to roll the rears. I used to have some silly static low VW's so I'm familiar with the process. I'm debating just getting someone to do the rears for me though. I'm assuming the Fronts aren't as big an issue?

Last edited by chewwyy; 04-10-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:03 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Ha ha.. Funny you mention that. I've been looking at renting a Fender Roller locally. I was pretty confident I'd need to roll the rears. I used to have some silly static low VW's so I'm familiar with the process. I'm debating just getting someone to do the rears for me though. I'm assuming the Fronts aren't as big an issue?
There's essentially nothing to roll up front. The lips are designed 180-deg turned up from factory. Only real clearance problems up front are from possible tire interference with the fender liner bolt (cut it if so). But you have to be either way too tall of a tire or stupid low.

I s'pose you could have fender clearance issues from the latter and/or crazy low offset but don't hear too much about front issues.
chewwyy (04-10-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 11:09 AM
chewwyy

There's essentially nothing to roll up front. The lips are designed 180-deg turned up from factory. Only real clearance problems up front are from possible tire interference with the fender liner bolt (cut it if so). But you have to be either way too tall of a tire or stupid low.

I s'pose you could have fender clearance issues from the latter and/or crazy low offset but don't hear too much about front issues.
Perfect, Thanks! I should be fine on the fronts then, not doing anything crazy.

My Energy Suspension Rear Spring Mounts arrived today, now just waiting on my Springs and a Fender Roll.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:51 AM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Perfect, Thanks! I should be fine on the fronts then, not doing anything crazy.

My Energy Suspension Rear Spring Mounts arrived today, now just waiting on my Springs and a Fender Roll.

If you're going to roll the rears remember you got salt! Mic once sent some guidance on how to treat the inside of the lip (thanks for that if I didn't already). I didn't end up having to roll them so I don't remember the treatment product he used, but I'm sure he'd tell you if you asked. Good luck and roll slooow.
chewwyy (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 12:31 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by carbuffguy
If you're going to roll the rears remember you got salt! Mic once sent some guidance on how to treat the inside of the lip (thanks for that if I didn't already). I didn't end up having to roll them so I don't remember the treatment product he used, but I'm sure he'd tell you if you asked. Good luck and roll slooow.
Nothing special.... you clean out the new "channel" really good with a stiff brush (even a firm toothbrush or whatever has bristles to get all the way in there), make sure it's clean and dry, then just use silicone seal in it to keep moisture and dirt out.

Oh, and if paint was broken anywhere along the line doing the roll, make sure it's painted and sealed.
The following 2 users liked this post by MicVelo:
carbuffguy (04-11-2018), chewwyy (04-11-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 07:25 AM
chewwyy

Nothing special.... you clean out the new "channel" really good with a stiff brush (even a firm toothbrush or whatever has bristles to get all the way in there), make sure it's clean and dry, then just use silicone seal in it to keep moisture and dirt out.

Oh, and if paint was broken anywhere along the line doing the roll, make sure it's painted and sealed.
I decided I'm going to get someone to roll them for me professionally. Save the headache.

Question: I have been noticing a clunk in the front of my car over bumps at low speeds (under 50km/h ~ 30mph) It isn't there at higher speeds. (highway - 80km/h+ ~50mph+)
I've looked at all the bushings, ball joints, and sway bar end links. Visually they all look fine.

Should I just order Z1 ball joints and OEM Sway Bar End Links and hope they fix the problem? Anyone have experience with one or the other fixing the a similiar issue?

ALSO: Should I have aftermarket Sway Bar End Links if I'm lowered?

Last edited by chewwyy; 04-16-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:53 AM
carbuffguy

I decided I'm going to get someone to roll them for me professionally. Save the headache.

Question: I have been noticing a clunk in the front of my car over bumps at low speeds (under 50km/h ~ 30mph) It isn't there at higher speeds. (highway - 80km/h+ ~50mph+)
I've looked at all the bushings, ball joints, and sway bar end links. Visually they all look fine.

Should I just order Z1 ball joints and OEM Sway Bar End Links and hope they fix the problem? Anyone have experience with one or the other fixing the a similiar issue?

ALSO: Should I have aftermarket Sway Bar End Links if I'm lowered?
What brand of fuca you sporting?
Old 04-16-2018, 10:38 AM
chewwyy

Originally Posted by carbuffguy
What brand of fuca you sporting?
Everything is stock suspension wise at the moment. So OEM FUCA's.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:11 AM
chewwyy

Picked up my Swift Springs yesterday

Plan is to start the install tonight. I'd like to take my time and while the front end is apart I'd like to see if my clunk is from;
  • Compression Rod
  • Ball Joint
  • Sway Bar End-Link
  • Front Upper Control Arm

Last edited by chewwyy; 04-23-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:41 PM
chewwyy

Picture's don't really do it justice, but it looks good dropped on the New Swift Springs with the Energy Suspensions rear Spring Mounts.

I have my Fender Roll booked for Friday, should be able to put the RPF1's on this weekend. Then I'll need an alignment pronto!
Old 05-12-2018, 10:25 AM
chewwyy

Well, I finally put my RPF1's on

Got the fenders rolled by Blain at Righteous Garage in Cambridge and threw them on the next day.

While doing my Spring Install I lost a bolt for my strut tower bar, so I ordered the Z-Spec Titanium Strut Mount Hardware Kit and a Perrin Antenna from Z1. Looks nice!

I also ordered New Centre Caps for the RPF1's and threw those on.

And finally, got an alignment. I'd highly recommend ACE Alignment to anyone in the Niagara Region

Also put on new Sway Bar Endlinks. Helped, but I think I've finally come to the conclusion I need new Compression Arms. Any input on the SPL Bushings in the Compression Arms on a daily?

And of course a mandatory pic with the Boss' Civic Type R

Last edited by chewwyy; 05-12-2018 at 10:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by chewwyy:
BluestreamDE (05-25-2018), kham25 (05-13-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 06:24 AM
chewwyy

A local took a few photo's of my car at a meet last week.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:56 AM
chewwyy

I pulled my car into our detailing bay out back on Saturday and asked our detailer very nicely if he could work some magic on my faded yellow headlights. I came back about 45 minutes later, and wow!

He offered to wash the car for me, and I am super happy with how they came out. Might have him polish the rest of the car for me.

The following 2 users liked this post by chewwyy:
BigBlue (06-04-2018), BluestreamDE (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 06:02 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Looking good, Chewwyy.

I need to do that to my headlights, my drivers side is getting yellowish and fogged, passenger side isn't bad but its getting there...
chewwyy (06-06-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 04:09 PM
carbuffguy

Nice, I did my other cars but it only seems to last a year. Do they put some kind of sealer on them?
chewwyy (06-06-2018)

Search this Thread