MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Media Share (https://my350z.com/forum/media-share-8/)
-   -   Pic- Can't help it if I'm Old (https://my350z.com/forum/media-share/844-pic-cant-help-it-if-im-old.html)

BILZ Z 06-12-2002 12:30 AM

Pic- Can't help it if I'm Old

1 Attachment(s)
Next to my framed new Black Touring Z

Touring6MT_Z 06-12-2002 01:21 AM

Young at heart

Originally posted by bgerber911
Next to my framed new Black Touring Z
Bill,

You're young at heart and look extremely healthy. Hey, you ordered a Z, did you? "Old" folks can't handle that.

350zDeity 06-12-2002 01:52 AM

Truly a Z enthusiast! ...err... touring.

The ladies will all be waiving their panties in the air when they see you drive by in your new 350Z.

BILZ Z 06-12-2002 02:18 AM

350Zdeity

Let's hope the fat ones keep their panties on.

Zboy 06-12-2002 06:10 AM

Re: 350Zdeity

Let's hope the fat ones keep their panties on.
Fat ones dont wear panties...they are something else:D

rouxeny 06-12-2002 08:12 AM

Oh God, that last comment was just too much. Fat ones....panties...mental image....system overload....about to go to bed.....but possibility of horrible dreams.....MUST STAY AWAKE!

marcZZZ 06-12-2002 08:17 AM

Originally posted by VQracer
I think we've found the oldest guy on the board!! LOL!! AHHA j/k :D
I think rocket scientist is the oldest at age 63, I don't think bgerber911 looks 63...maybe since I am well aged too I can't recognize age anymore, OMG I did get carded at the liquor store last month and I am female and 50 , YIKS, ordered chrome silver/touring and I can't wait for it to get here

Jill 06-12-2002 05:53 PM

Bill-
You actually look a LOT like my uncle. You look so friendly! :) I wonder why you were smiling? You're probably thinking about the Z, am I right? hehe :D

BILZ Z 06-12-2002 08:09 PM

You got it Zgirl. Maybe I AM your uncle. I hate smiling, it makes my eyes look like a chinaman ... not that I've got ANYTHING against our Aisian friends. They're building my Z. Def. not the oldest . a young 55 ... feel 35.

ethan84ae 06-12-2002 08:21 PM

I hate smiling, it makes my eyes look like a chinaman ... not that I've got ANYTHING against our Aisian friends. They're building my Z. Def. not the oldest . a young 55 ... feel 35.

FYI- Many folks consider the word "chinaman" to be derogatory or offensive. I don't think you're trying to be insulting, but perhaps you may want to avoid using that word.

Also, the Z will be built in Japan, not China.

Ethan

BILZ Z 06-12-2002 09:24 PM

The last time I looked, Japanese were still identified as "Asians". If the Z were built anywhere but Japan, we wouldn't be having this conversation ... I wouldn't own one. For sure I'm not trying to insult any of my Asian brothers out there. Sorry if I did.

exsilio 06-12-2002 09:35 PM

Originally posted by ethan84ae

FYI- Many folks consider the word "chinaman" to be derogatory or offensive. I don't think you're trying to be insulting, but perhaps you may want to avoid using that word.

Also, the Z will be built in Japan, not China.

Ethan

Not necessarily.

I live in a heavily Asian area, and term is used often, and not in a derogitory manner.

That's not to say you want to walk around and call someone a chinaman...just the same as you wouldn't walk around calling someone a white man or a black man. But it often a fair way to refer to someone.

In fact the Chinese refer to a Chinaman or Laughing Buddha:

Happy Chinaman
Anyone waliing about Chinatowns in America with observe statues of a stout fellow carrying a linen sack. Chinese merchants call him Happy Chinaman or Laughing Buddha.

This Hotei lived in the T'ang dynasty. He had no desire to call himself a Zen master or to gather many disciples about him. Instead he walked the streets with a big sack into which he would put gifts of candy, fruit, or doughnuts. These he would give to children who gathered around him in play. He established a kindergarten of the streets.

Whenever he met a Zen devotee he would extend his hand and say: "Give me one penny." And if anyone asked him to return to a temple to teach others, again he would reply: "Give me one penny."

Once he was about his play-work another Zen master happened along and inquired: "What is the significance of Zen?"

Hotei immediatly plopped his sack down on the ground in silent answer.

"Then," asked the other, "what is the actualisation of Zen?"

At once the Happy Chinaman swung the ack over his shoulder and continued on his way.

Just FYI ;)

Rxramon 06-13-2002 12:27 AM

I must also agree on this... Chinaman isn't really that bad...

I am half "Oriental" SE Asian... and I use the word Oriental all the time... Theres always that proud person saying something is derogitory.. and should not be used... It matters who is being offended. There are worse names... but the issue is more personal than professional.

ethan84ae, If chinaman offends you... stress that it offends "you" singular and not the world in general.

bgerber911, try to not confuse Japan with China... wars were faught over this... Anyways... Peace Out Everybody...

BILZ Z 06-13-2002 04:18 AM

My apologies Rxramon:p

Rocketscientist 06-13-2002 05:14 AM

Originally posted by marcZZZ
I think rocket scientist is the oldest at age 63, I don't think bgerber911 looks 63...maybe since I am well aged too I can't recognize age anymore, OMG I did get carded at the liquor store last month and I am female and 50 , YIKS, ordered chrome silver/touring and I can't wait for it to get here
I will be 68 on July 3rd. Seems something else is supposed to happen on that date.[COLOR=red]:) ;) :) ;)
Rocketscientist

rouxeny 06-13-2002 08:19 AM

Actually, I think the "Chinaman" thing may be a generational issue. I personally haven't heard it much, so I don't think I would react in a bad way. Typically, you hear something like "chink" instead. However, my dad I know gets furious at that. I think that living in America in the 50's and 60's, it was something that he heard a lot more. He really hates it and even when we watch old westerns where the Chinese guy in the coolie hat owns the laundry, he sometimes gets mad. However, he doesn't have the same regard for more modern slurs, like "chink" which people my age have gotten in fights over.

It's very interesting if you think about it.

Oh, and I do think that most people use the terms "white people" and "black people" fairly freely. Most would not consider that racist. However, Asians being referred to as "yellow people," oooh, that would get steam out of some people's ears. Race is a fascinating issue.

Mez jr 06-13-2002 11:43 AM

yeah race is pretty sticky, at school I had a professor that took exception to East Asians being called "Asians" because he was from India and therefore technically also an "Asian".

personally i skate around the issue and try to remember people's names.

BILZ Z 06-13-2002 05:36 PM

Rocketscientist

So I'm not the oldest person buying a Z. You should be congratulated that you have not lost your zeal for speed.

1STZEVER 06-13-2002 05:44 PM

I've gotta support Bill on this one. I'm not a fan of political correctness, and there are plenty more examples of PC than just race. Call things like they are. People are just too sensitive. I always consider the person's intent when they speak. If you INTEND to offend you probably will. Otherwise, relax with all the PC and sensitivity.

BILZ Z 06-14-2002 05:27 AM

1STZEVER

Thank you for the support. It was never my intent to insult anyone. ENOUGH of this talk, let's just talk about Z'as.