Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

My AAM Experience. Its a long one. MUST READ

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:54 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by abui01
This is not Bobby's fault if your technician cannot perform the tasks given to him. But if you knew this motor was in bad shape knowing very well that it would most likely need special attention and care, why would you put the "new guy" to "experiment" on his car? Should have had Frank do the twins from the start and have the new guy change oil or something to prove himself.
On a side note ... I don't think Jim Wolf would NOT be very happy if he found out his kits are being installed by inexperienced non-certified techs.

Oh BTW ... stated in JWT's warranty

Originally Posted by JWT Warranty Info
What is not covered:
Damage caused by water or foreign substance, modification or improper repair or installation .
http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/legal_page.asp

Last edited by dutchboy350Z; 11-28-2007 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:06 AM
terps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my install at FT and have not been happier. yes there have been minor issues ( there are always when you love you car as much as I do), but without question dave and juan have fixed everything beyond my satisfaction. When I get my engine built FT will be doing it. FT is an hour away, AAM is less then ten min but the quality of work and standing behind it makes it worth it. People looking for the cheapist install will get get bad work and huslted into bying unnecessary parts to make a higher profit. reflashes and rfl- unnecessary for 350hp monsters. I honestly think AAM is trying to turn the shop around and stand by the work more, but they need to spend more time doing the installs correctly and be 100% sure before the car leaves that it is ready. FT kept my a week extra to work everything out, yes an inconvience at the time, by SO worth it in the long run.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:08 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Originally Posted by widebody350
Like I said in the last thread, Dave needs to start giving a percentage to AAM since fixing their mistakes probably accounts for some pretty decent money, and the horror stories from AAM, drive potential customers to FT, which brings in more money. lol.
And Only 40.2 miles away.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Jason@Altered
Sponsor
Altered Atmosphere

Originally Posted by bsurdam
They are the only reason why i would consider returning to that place.[/B] The only problem of that place is the guy paying the bills that doesnt care about his business. He doesnt watch to make sure his employees are doing the right things or even follow up with them making sure they are doing things right...

Hey, Bobby

Its Jason, here at Altered. First I would like to say this is my first post on here. I do not post because I do not want to get involved with the drama of the forums. A lot of you know me from the shop, and know that I’m always here to help out.

That said, I know you have had some problems with your car. We have always taken care of you. You don't hear from Mike much because he told me to take care of you at no charge – no matter what the problem or your concern was, anything. I thought we have done so for you. The kit that was installed on your car was done by a tech that we no longer have here, do to the problems with his work. You said you have a problem with your tune, I know the car runs rich but that is for safety reasons. I did call you to say that Mike would like to check this for you if you where looking to make more power or if something had changed. There is always a balance between long term reliability and maximum power.

We here at the shop have done nothing but try to help you with the car. That is why this post just comes as a shock to me, you always have left here by shaking my hand and saying thank you. I care a lot about the shop and love the work we do. When you first came here I was not working here at the time. Sense I have been back I now have responsibility of the shop and the quality of our service. I thought I had taken care of everything for you. I am very sorry I have not taken care of you to what you wanted. Please give me a call and let me know what else you need so that I can make sure you are totally happy.

And I want you to know that I am not telling you to not post what you think but I thought you were happy. If you would have let me know first I would have fixed anything else for you. But I need you to tell me so that I know. I still want to make sure you are totally happy with everything from us. I want you and everyone else to know we stand behind our work and without questions, our current master ase certified techs are better than any local nissan specialty shops around.

I think all.... of us here (Mike, Frank, Clint, Willis, Jon, John, Alex, Eric, Randy, and I) have turned the shop around and our customer service standing behind you and your car should show this.

About the shop in general....

I also want to talk more about the shop. To every one else that knows I was here in the past and I can tell you all that Mike’s interaction is much more involved. The shop is not the same shop I worked at before. Mike is 100% trying his best to improve on any and every aspect here at work. As you all know Clint is now our store manager, he is also working very hard, and they have both made changes that are night and day compared to before.

There are other shops in the area now. So there is a lot of competition. Some of you have been back to the shop after bad experiences at the other new local places and its great to see you all, and to here that your new experiences with us have been really good. Thank all of you because after all of the hard work we’ve all been doing it means a lot. We actually print out all of your pms and e-mails and post them in our office and middle warehouse areas so the techs and everyone in the shop can see them.

I know that some of you are stuck in the past. For those people I know that we had problems for many reasons as many places do. It’s hard to believe what Mike has done to take care of so many customers from the past when they ask. It is also good to see the changes Mike has us do to make sure it doesn't happen again. It’s also really nice for everyone else at the shop to know how far he’s wiling to go for our customers. Nobody is perfect and there is always going to be a mistake or something that goes unnoticed. And its great to know that when this happens we have his support to do whatever it takes to make sure our customers are totally happy.

This is all what I see every week and I’ve been back here for a few months now. I’ve also been here previously for a long while. So I don’t want to see any people post and say I do not know what I’m talking about or that I’m a NOOB. Like I said at the being that this is my first post. I have always stayed out of it, but not to bet a dead hoarse this place has changed 180 degrees and I thought you should know.

Thank you every one for reading my long post. Everyone that has questions or concerns please give me a call or pm me. Bobby, please give me a call to we have you covered.

Last edited by Jason@Altered; 11-29-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:09 AM
MasterRacer

^^

I don't think that anyone here is questioning your customer service skills or ability to apologize when the shop makes a mistake. This is more or less getting what you paid for, Bobby paid to have his JWT TT kit installed by your crew and thus far seems to have regretted it. I believe that he has had MORE then enough patience with AAM as it's been an on going issue for awhile now. The underlying issue here is that you guys seem to have fessed up to having someone incompetent working on a boost setup and now just seem to be passing the buck saying that it's his fault because his car had problmes prior to TT install, WOW!

I wonder if you have bothered putting yourself in his shoe's. IF you went to get a TT kit installed on your car and only had repeated problems there after, what would you be inclined to think? Exactly the same thing everyone else is................the shop is not doing it's job.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am so sick of reading these stories, 30 good reviews on AAM can be erased from the minds of the Mid-A with one like this every few weeks. I cant stand the fact that Mike has an excuse for everything that goes wrong-its always "oh it was our old machine shops fault your block burned oil, it was an old tech not up to our standards, Mike didnt know what was going on, it was the full moons fault for being out, etc, etc" Man up, apologize and take responsibility for your/YOUR shops, god@amn actions BEFORE customers decide they want nothing else to do with you. All the "we will take care of everything 100% free" statements mean nothing when you've crossed a line with a customer numerous times.

Dont techs go through a "testing" process where they dont test on CUSTOMER's cars? Same $hit different day, the efforts of Will, Frank, etc will always be squashed by the lack of supervision. Who cares that you put plastics and floor mats inside the cars to "protect" them and provide an image that you "care" when you have the SAME mistakes happening over and over?

OP-good luck with everything from here on out. You have seen the "truth" cut your losses with them and take it as a lesson learned.

Last edited by Alberto; 11-28-2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:49 AM
BestThreadEver

If anyone ever wants to know the real truth about AAM PM me!
Old 11-28-2007, 12:20 PM
TENGAI

I would think that TT installs qualify as a high-end job. As such, I would assume with the rash of problems and thoughts towards AAM lately that they would put special attention on this BEFORE it blew up into another bash thread...

I know that Mike, Clint, and now Jason have popped up on the boards and discussed the commitment to doing the job right. But action taken retrospectively doesn't add up to the guy going through problems with his car - and as I was once told: the unminded pot tends to boil over.

I'm sure that you guys tried to remedy the issue(s), but considering the recent rash of problems and regional history that AAM is carrying, this should have been handled with more care up front. Just my opinion.

OP - good luck with the car. As I read it you're having Dave take care of you. I'm sure it'll work out in the long run.

Mike - I told a recent customer of F:T to go back to them after having issues posted up on the boards. And as not to look like a hypocrite - I'd normally advise the OP here to do the same. BUT it looks like he's been in and out of the shop and still has all of these issues??? I'm sure you've been diligent recently, but after 3 months this guy is still finding things wrong. What happened? My recommendation in a previous post still stands - you've got to treat any and every high-end job (TT installs, etc.) like it's the most important job in the shop. Otherwise all of your efforts to turn the shop around are wasted when a botched product / service rolls out of your facility...

Good luck to ALL parties involved.

-Ryan
Old 11-28-2007, 12:33 PM
Mike@Altered
Banned

Alberto,

I agree. As the owner I am ultimately responsible for everything that happens here. To make sure nothing goes out of the shop any less than perfect, we've implemented a new program for new technicians.

I appologized to Bobby for not understanding and meeting all of his expectations. As soon as I hear about something I make an effort to contact the customer, which I did in this case via phone calls and PM.

Bobby knows we stand behind our work and his car, and will do whatever it takes for him to be completely satisfied. This is what we've been doing and nearly all of his concerns are remedied. Now it is up to him, if he decides to continue to work with us he'll continue to have our total commitment including the full support of our entire staff and facilites at hand. Everyone here would like to see his car through and Bobby totally satisfied.

Last edited by Mike@Altered; 11-28-2007 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:43 PM
TENGAI

All -

I posted up a thread in the FI section asking those with AAM FI cars to come forward. I'm honestly curious to hear from both sides of the fence. How many guys are on these forums (as of today) that are pushing FI cars built by AAM? How are the running? What sort of issues (if any) did they have?

Let's get objective and see what comes out of the wood work...

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/317917-hot-water-over-fi-install.html
Old 11-28-2007, 12:53 PM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Originally Posted by Mike@Altered
Alberto,

Bobby knows we stand behind our work and his car, and will do whatever it takes for him to be completely satisfied. This is what we've been doing and nearly all of his concerns are remedied. Now it is up to him, if he decides to continue to work with us he'll continue to have our total commitment including the full support of our entire staff and facilites at hand. Everyone here would like to see his car through and Bobby totally satisfied.
Concerns?

Originally Posted by bsurdam

--Didnt realize till the next day that I didnt even have windshield wiper fluid. The tech didnt do something right when relocating that

--Apparently the retard tech that put my new belt in didnt tighten the tensioner all the way which caused my idle pulley to fly off.

--So the same tech that destroyed my belt decided that when he took apart the steering, he didnt want to lock it in place and mark it so it can go back in at the same angle. So now starting my car every morning and letting out the clutch to start to drive causes the computer in my car to think that im going into a 90 degree turn causing the abs to kick in

--on the fairfax co prkway the pipe going into my intercooler comes loose and is just sitting on top of where it connects, so coming to an idle the rpms drop down to zero but the car doesnt shut off and i have the the horsepower of a hybrid.

--So one night I decided to go to the ISP dyno day with some friends and dyno it. And it was dissapointing none the less. my air/fuel ration graph looked like an electrocardiogram (the instrument that judges your heartbeat in the hospital) and it was disgusting
The tuning might be the only subjective one of the bunch, but the rest are NOT "concerns" of his.

They're usually referred to in any industry as f*ck ups.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:28 PM
NoahzBurnt

U know as a former employee I often lurk at these threads and never comment but I will say one thing. I know that MOST of the employees that were or are employeed at AAM take the matters of handling a customer's 5-digit investment in high-regards. I can attest to the diligent work of Frank whom is possibly one of the better mechanics I have come across in years. Jason has always had to be the go-between between Mike and the customer and as far as I can remember has always had the customer's best interest in mind. And sadly experiences like this one will be taking food off of their tables and could be avoided by simply taking more pride in your company.

Mike- bad shit happens to cars daily...hell my N/A V8 wasn't easy either...but you are fortunate enough to have a great staff and people who are keeping your business alive at the moment. They are the reason you still have customers willing to spend their hard earned $ at AAM. I applaud your efforts to make it right but I have always thought that you need to devote more of yourself and your efforts to customer satisfaction during teh sales cycle (not just if something happens to go wrong). Hell if need be, pay Frank more to double check installs or have Jason call and follow up with customers once a month or so even after they get their car's back.

Besides Alex I don't know any of yoru other employees from a hole in a wall, but with your diligence you may just be able to keep your customers, and more importantly, your staff happy. You cannot afford to loose Jason and Frank IMO...and the only way to keep them is to keep customer's coming back for more and referring your services. And Mike, only you can do this...

to the OP i wish you the best and hope you get your car soretd out (take it from me my car has been out of my posession for more than 9 months now)
Old 11-28-2007, 01:35 PM
NoahzBurnt

I had an FI install at AAM that ran great actually. I had a few minor issues but they were from bad components (actually defective) that were purchased to SUPPLIMENT the JWT twin turbo. All in all Frank did an AMAZING job installing the kit for me and if I lived closer I would easily let him work on my car again!
Old 11-28-2007, 06:48 PM
bsurdam
F-UR-ENZO

Thanks guys for all your feedback, lol i go to work for 10 hours and this thread blows up. Now its time to clear a few things up:
ahn: no they never offered me a rental, i was only offered a rental to fix everything after i had posted this. mike only payed half of my bill giving me yet another excuse cause i had my car towed to my house first and then to altered saying i should of had it towed right to the shop. keep in mind i had no idea what the problem was.
noahzburnt: im glad that you have had a good experience there but i have had to go back 7 or 8 times to fix stuff and the more miles i put on my car stuff keeps falling apart, you have been one of the lucky ones.
alberto: to this day after being in and out of that shop 9 10 times he has never looked me in the eye as a man and straight up apologized face to face. the only remote apology has now occurred given the circumstances.
Jason: i have nothing but respect for you personally thats why when leaving after all of this i have always shook your hand, like i have stated from the very beginning the four of you mention make this shop without you guys it would absolutely fall. And helping me at no charge (even though it shouldnt of happened in the first place) is very reassuring that you guys do care. But the problem is not you or will or frank or clint. its the guy whose name is on the line who doesnt look over what his employees are doing how projects are coming along if they are going right. thats where the problem is.

Last edited by bsurdam; 11-28-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:27 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just to remind you:

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/309144-fi-forum-conduct-it-s-best-that-you-all-read-this-updated.html

Peanut gallery comments are not needed here. Unsubstantiated comments such as this
Originally Posted by Gooey
I do feel sorry for people who work at AAM. They seem to be good people (all excluding Mike) If theyre smart they would leave and go somewhere else. Another examply of why AAM sucks monkey *****!
are not welcome. If you don't have a personal experience to post, just leave your drama at the door.

Anyone who continues to post garbage in this thread is going to get a few days off.

Keep your posts ON POINT, and do not stir the pot for your own or someone else's amusement.

If you have questions keep them civil, not "when did you stop beating your wife" kind of questions.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 11-28-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:40 PM
Vader007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well AAM needs to know there are a lot of people on the fence about going to that shop and Alberto is right in stating that it doesnt take much to set these guys back with the prior reputation of the shop. I have been standing bye with interest in watching all these "I was not asked to write this review'
crap on all these small installs...."AAM installed my bumpersticker and did a great job!" As many were called out or not believed anyway.
This is where the bread and butter is for any shop, FI sales and installs, and for being under a microscope right now they should have handled it better.
I already posted my experiance in the last thread so I have a right to my opinion here.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:31 AM
mdracer76
Banned

Wow.. this thread was edited? It used to be bigger? So anti AAM threads are now edited instead of being closed? I'm not sure if thats good or not?
Old 11-29-2007, 04:11 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default We have major issues here in the MidA

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Just to remind you:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309144

Peanut gallery comments are not needed here. Unsubstantiated comments such as this

are not welcome. If you don't have a personal experience to post, just leave your drama at the door.

Anyone who continues to post garbage in this thread is going to get a few days off.

Keep your posts ON POINT, and do not stir the pot for your own or someone else's amusement.

If you have questions keep them civil, not "when did you stop beating your wife" kind of questions.
I just have a questions and statements. It seems that there are a few folks (more than a few, but for the sake of arguement) who don’t have good things to say about a few shops. I understand sponsorship, representation, and money, but when does the community out rank the mighty dollar? If I particular shop does not appear to be fair (in more than a few occasions), when/where does this forum express such ideas? I do realize that there is a lot of people, who feel that a few shops are not benefiting the Z community and is not helping us at all. Now I am being respectful in not saying names (there is more than one)...and I know every shop has at least one upset customer, however this is seems to be an on going issue here in the MidA. I am feeling a close on the 1st Amendment when we want to voice our opinions about bad experiences. I do agree that we can post in a tactful manner and get our points across, but it seems that we have to tread lightly for shops that appear to be hurting our community, friendships, and wallets.

I would like to know if we can create a post (somewhere)..Maybe in the anything goes area, where we all could vent our frustrations without having to walk on eggshells? If so would a link from the MidA be acceptable?

Again, I realize when posts are over the top (wife beating, etc). Those should be blocked, however this is an ongoing issue that I feel is a tad bias when it comes to editing, blocking, and bans. Obviously there are a lot of hurt, frustrated, angry, and confused people due to current, past, and projected future shop activities. This forum is a huge resource for us all. If we can not learn from the bad experiences as well as the good, what value does this forum now hold for us? We would NOT vote for a President if they where known to be shady and associate themselves with shady work. Fidelity aids Chinese companies that support the killings in Africa...knowing so, we dont bank, invest, or 401K with them for such reasons and I just posted it right here without fear...do you see where I am going with all this?

Please take my post as a fellow Nissan owner, noticing major issues that the MidA in particular is having. We need leadership, fairness, and direction on how to resolve, express, and handle these issues. THIS IS A CONSTANT TOPIC at every meet, 99.99% of shop posts, and its dwindling down to every day post and comments.

On behave of my own self, and a few Z friend that are obviously upset, I am asking:
1. How does one express such ideas without censorship on this forum?
2, Where does one express such ideas and thoughts?
3. What amount of damage to the community must occur until we realize that there is no turn around for people opinions?
4. What is the policy on sponsors being reputible, trustworth, and accepted? basically when does a shop/sponsor get banned?

FYI I personlly rock a clutch installed by Function, AAM exhaust (just sold AAM spacer for the APS tallboy but the AAM rocked), and buying a steel braided clutch line from Forged....I can honestly say, I dont trust anyone but me, however many people have been hurt from one shop to another.........

Where do we go from here?

Respectfully,

Corey Lancaster
703-731-2057 is my personal cell.

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 11-29-2007 at 04:24 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:23 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NoahzBurnt
I have always thought that you need to devote more of yourself and your efforts to customer satisfaction during teh sales cycle (not just if something happens to go wrong).
That is a great suggestion to any business owner. I, always, prefer to work with companies where the owner still likes to "get dirty." As soon as an owner places himself in an office, you lose touch and control of the workers and the quality control. This is true for car shops, builders, plumbers, etc.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:40 AM
bsurdam
F-UR-ENZO

I disagree/agree with the censorship and editing. Me personally I have not held anything back. Everyone in the mid-a has the right to see what has happened to me otherwise i wouldnt of posted this. I have sat here and viewed many opinions on this specific shop while not making a single post and they all seem to be in the same boat as mine. With editing this post you are taking out information that the entire mid-a should see. And yes this is a big problem in our region with shops doing something like this. It costs too much money and time for something like this and when certain stuff that maybe of useful information may have been edited its unfair. However I do agree that the posts should be more in a more civilized manner. Even after everything that i have gone through I have not made outrageous comments about either mike personally or the shop. But I do agree with corey we should have the right to voice our opinions in any matter that we want for anyone to view, I mean this isnt communist china lol.

Last edited by bsurdam; 11-29-2007 at 05:43 AM.

Quick Reply: My AAM Experience. Its a long one. MUST READ