Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

What Mustangs CAN't we beat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 06:51 AM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I raced a Cobra the other day (2k1-2k2) and he pretty much walked away from me slowly but sure from a roll at 60. They are fast cars but not SUPER fast.
I was really more referring to the new Cobras. I have to agree with some of the responses above. At 390 underrated horsepower, the Z would have its handsful even with the addition of a SC or TT mod. Not saying it won't ever beat an '03 Cobra, but the new Cobra is a powerhouse.

Of course, the new Cobra has a pretty tired look inside and out. And, even with some suspension upgrades over lesser 'Stangs, does not handle as well as the Z in curves (though, i'm sure it more than makes up ground with HP)
Old 02-15-2003, 09:05 AM
S8ER95Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mcduck
I was really more referring to the new Cobras. I have to agree with some of the responses above. At 390 underrated horsepower, the Z would have its handsful even with the addition of a SC or TT mod. Not saying it won't ever beat an '03 Cobra, but the new Cobra is a powerhouse.

Of course, the new Cobra has a pretty tired look inside and out. And, even with some suspension upgrades over lesser 'Stangs, does not handle as well as the Z in curves (though, i'm sure it more than makes up ground with HP)
Registering .90 on the skidpad.. I really don't see a valid argument.. It would appear to me the Cobra is more than capable of running thru the "twisties"... sure cutting thru a curve a little quicker will help you out a bit... however anytime a straight will present itself the Cobra would just eat you up... The 350Z handles great...many articles and people have praised it..however its not the GREATEST.. I just don't want you guys to get too full of yourselfs.. we have a board full of LS1 drivers, camaro drivers, honda boys, blue oval boys, etc that all think that THEY have the best cars ever built period. Just try to keep your feet planted down here on earth. The fantasy world is great.. but its worthless IMHO.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:31 AM
Bullitt5201

Thank you for that.... Bye the way, I beat a 350Z last night in a straight line race (maybe 1 - 1.5 length, 20feet give or take, very close race) and then stayed right on his *** through the twisties (only 1 lane traffic so i could not legally pass, though I could have passed illegally ) I have a stock Bullitt, 12.5k miles on the stock gatorback tires (yes, they really suck). I just hope you realize how long 2-3 car lengths is (30-45 ft).... are you sure your mirror wasnt blurry or defective because that is a pretty long distance when racing in the quarter, and it sounds to me like BS.... but hey, it could have happened, the other driver could have been nearsited and 85 years old with one leg, but you still won, thats all that matters

350Z does handle better than my Bullitt IMO, but not by much...
Old 03-18-2003, 07:44 PM
rodH

Originally posted by S8ER95Z
Registering .90 on the skidpad.. I really don't see a valid argument.. It would appear to me the Cobra is more than capable of running thru the "twisties"... sure cutting thru a curve a little quicker will help you out a bit... however anytime a straight will present itself the Cobra would just eat you up... The 350Z handles great...many articles and people have praised it..however its not the GREATEST.. I just don't want you guys to get too full of yourselfs.. we have a board full of LS1 drivers, camaro drivers, honda boys, blue oval boys, etc that all think that THEY have the best cars ever built period. Just try to keep your feet planted down here on earth. The fantasy world is great.. but its worthless IMHO.
SKIDPAD, actually means MUCH less than you would think on the ACTUAL track. If you look at the Z vs M3 vs 911 vs Z06 article, the Z gets worst or NEXT to worst on skidpad, bracking, slalom and accel, YET on the TRACK (the MOST important thing to ME) the Z beat ALL but the Z06. pretty impressive. the other article it races a S2000, TT and Mach 1 on the track, there again the Z wins. it may NOT be the BEST handling car in the world, BUT some think the M3 is, others the 911, yet the Z beat both of them with still having MUCH worse tires and indivdual stats than the others.

I have driven many cars my father has owned (NSX, Z32, M3, CLK55, 911s) and I can tell you the Z isn't embarrassed by ANY of these "world class cars".
Old 03-18-2003, 07:44 PM
rodH

My first hand experiences with new Mustangs...

Cobra SVT... I smart enough not to race, but had a chance to.

Mach I... slightly quicker than the Z, but only by a car length or two in 1/4

Bullitt GT... Z is quicker. I've beaten one myself. Pretty much the opposite of the Mach I story. I had 2-3 car lengths.

Regular GT... Z owns it all day long

Modified GT... Watch Out! GTs are easy to mod and the smart drivers don't advertise. I've lost to two GTs, but am sure they had to be modified considering how much I was beaten buy.

Bang for the Buck as long as they are going in a straight line, but I'll keep my Z's cornering, fresh looks, and better engineering every day
100% AGREE!!!
Old 03-18-2003, 10:43 PM
S8ER95Z

My first hand experiences with new Mustangs...

Cobra SVT... I smart enough not to race, but had a chance to.

Mach I... slightly quicker than the Z, but only by a car length or two in 1/4

Bullitt GT... Z is quicker. I've beaten one myself. Pretty much the opposite of the Mach I story. I had 2-3 car lengths.

Regular GT... Z owns it all day long

Modified GT... Watch Out! GTs are easy to mod and the smart drivers don't advertise. I've lost to two GTs, but am sure they had to be modified considering how much I was beaten buy.

Bang for the Buck as long as they are going in a straight line, but I'll keep my Z's cornering, fresh looks, and better engineering every day
Quick relative break down for you...

Mach 1 would have emabarassed you. A car length or 2 as you said would only be a few tenths difference especially at higher trap speeds. Motortrend ran a 13.8 with the car. Hmm..Motortrend ran a 13.8 with the LS1 Z28. Coincedence? No Motortrends drivers suck. A little reading for the doubters MM&FF Mach1 Article
13.13-seconds at 105.5 mph in bone-stock trim (with a 2.07 60-foot time).
You will notice they note a recent SS they test drove that ran a bit slower than the new Mach 1. Although MM&FF had an article about a little Z28 running 12.8xs bone stock. Evan smith is the man!
OH BOY! You just got dusted by a full second.

The Bullitt and the GT have been quoted as running very identical times with the Bullitt mustering a tenth or two faster. Hardly enough to sway the margin of victory between the two the way you described. (4 car legths if you in fact would be 2 ahead of the GT and two behind the Bullitt ) That would also put a Stock gt or Bullitt vs 350Z into strickly a drivers race. Since they perform within the same margin. Just remember shitty drivers give cars their bad reputations. You can't base all your experiences on what you have first hand witnessed. Personally I dont worry about stock Bullitts, GTs, or 350Zs... maybe when I was stock (Auto w/ 3:23s 14.1 @ 97mph) ..but that was long while ago. You know back in 1995 Don't get too high up about the 350z in terms of beating a GT. I personally think they are too close to call. This is of course saying all models are current. 02~03 cars. Obviously there are different years, with different performance numbers, 1/4 times, etc...example.. compare your 350Z to a SOHC 4.6 1996 GT and of course you will win.

Just fueling the fire. I seem to be good at it.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:12 PM
Blades

I beat a 350Z from a 1st gear roll.. He tried to race.. got dusted for a few seconds.. and then gave up and didn't follow me for a decent race (roll or stop.. just friggin let me shift out of 2nd please!!).. Oh well.. I am waiting for those turbo kits dammit..
Old 03-19-2003, 02:07 AM
Zmoney

Originally posted by Blades
I beat a 350Z from a 1st gear roll.. He tried to race.. got dusted for a few seconds.. and then gave up and didn't follow me for a decent race (roll or stop.. just friggin let me shift out of 2nd please!!).. Oh well.. I am waiting for those turbo kits dammit..
If you couldnt beat a Z in that car you have some serious problems. Lemme see, you are doubling the rwhp of the Z. Seems fair
Old 03-19-2003, 06:39 AM
02silverstanger

Default You just keep thinkin that : )

Originally posted by Zmeflyby
GTs r nuttin....dont waste ur gas on them
Here we go again...Time to regulate the BS Dude please shut your hole before you have a 9 page flame thread on how ignorant you are. Stock for stock, it has already been established that it is a drivers race...and with ANY modifications a GT will walk a 350 Z
Old 03-19-2003, 08:16 AM
suprasrule

I LIVE IN BIRMINGHAM TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep a look out for me i drive a 1990 dark blue supra turbo with axis rims and hks exhaust
Old 03-19-2003, 08:28 AM
jester

Default Re: You just keep thinkin that : )

Originally posted by Zmoney
If you couldnt beat a Z in that car you have some serious problems. Lemme see, you are doubling the rwhp of the Z. Seems fair
Uh....street race....run whathca brung there, brutha....
Every once in a while, I have some kid try and race me in his Civic. I let him do his thing for a bit, but if he won't leave me alone....I hand him his butt.

Originally posted by 02silverstanger
Here we go again...Time to regulate the BS Dude please shut your hole before you have a 9 page flame thread on how ignorant you are. Stock for stock, it has already been established that it is a drivers race...and with ANY modifications a GT will walk a 350 Z
thank you...you saved me the trouble...
Old 03-19-2003, 09:26 AM
DarkKnight

"the new corbras r fast fast fast!!!
i wouldnt run wid one of them unless my car is running 12s.
GTs r nuttin....dont waste ur gas on them"

i would be careful about thinking that gt's are nothing to worry about. the z and the gt are just too close to call. 97 and up cobra's are going to be tough to beat...and more often than not, they will kill a z.
i love the z cars, but there is no where near enough power in them to think that they wiill walk other 14 second cars. i've raced them, and seen them on the track (1/4 mile)--they are beautiful cars, with a peppy engine--that's all, IMO.
on another note, when and if the TT version comes out, the story may be different--if this happens, then i will believe most of the comments that you z owners are saying here...your car will, in fact, be very, very fast. however, look at the real facts that you have to deal with
(note: i went through the same situation when thinking about supercharging my old 98 cobra)
1. you paid a lot of dough for your car--are you prepared to risk blowing your engine, or contributing to the demise of your engine, because you put a TT in it? (assuming no factory warranty)
2. you paid a lot of dough for your car--do you think it's fair that you had to go through the added expense and risk to TT your car in order to make it "fast?"
these are real issues about the TT. however, if nissan offers it and offers a 5/75 warranty or something, then it looks like you guys will be in a great position to have a bad a## sports car!
not flaming...just my $.02
Old 03-19-2003, 04:05 PM
JamRWS6

Some of you guys crack me up. Suddenly 03 Cobras are not that fast, GTs are a waste of gas ( WTF) and you can hang with LS1's.....ROTFL!!

I do think the Z cars are very unique and look kind of cool but the attitudes displayed here crack me up.
I know several guys with GTs...bone stock ran 13.8..plenty fast to outrun most times posted on here. Another friend with gears and exhaust has run 13.3.
Another with a V6 Mustang with gears, intake, and a 100 shot ran a 13.2 @ 107!!!

You shouldn't be soo quick to stick your nose up in the air....

Most of your cars would be a better run for a LT1 than a LS1. Last time i went to the track i ran a full second quicker than a LT1 powered car....and he ran a high 13 and let me tell the gap between us was pretty big.

Enjoy your cars but don't try to make them more than they are. They are a quick 2 seater sports car....nothing more.

02 WS6 TA
12.9@110.1 mph on a pitiful 2.15 60ft
Airlid and Subframe Connectors
Old 03-19-2003, 05:49 PM
Last WS6

The shifter sits way to far forward. The seats are very very comfy. 372 rwhp/362 tq with 600 miles on it.

90% of the reason i bought it.

Im not to thrilled about the looks. My wife says " why would you buy a car that you do not really like the looks of?"

women
But still this will a$$ rape it all the way.

Old 03-19-2003, 09:22 PM
rodH

Originally posted by JamRWS6
Some of you guys crack me up. Suddenly 03 Cobras are not that fast, GTs are a waste of gas ( WTF) and you can hang with LS1's.....ROTFL!!

I do think the Z cars are very unique and look kind of cool but the attitudes displayed here crack me up.
I know several guys with GTs...bone stock ran 13.8..plenty fast to outrun most times posted on here. Another friend with gears and exhaust has run 13.3.
Another with a V6 Mustang with gears, intake, and a 100 shot ran a 13.2 @ 107!!!

You shouldn't be soo quick to stick your nose up in the air....

Most of your cars would be a better run for a LT1 than a LS1. Last time i went to the track i ran a full second quicker than a LT1 powered car....and he ran a high 13 and let me tell the gap between us was pretty big.

Enjoy your cars but don't try to make them more than they are. They are a quick 2 seater sports car....nothing more.

02 WS6 TA
ya, I hope you guys don't think we all believe we could beat a 03 cobra, I wouldn't even waist my gas, b/c I would get kill draging one of those (equal drivers of course)
Old 03-19-2003, 10:20 PM
Blades

Originally posted by Blades
heh.. what am i supposed to do? Let him win?
Old 03-20-2003, 12:48 AM
S8ER95Z

Originally posted by JamRWS6

02 WS6 TA

Its just you fricken 01~02 cars. 330rwhp stock is insane. LOL I can hold off or edge out most of my friends stock LS1 cars.. 98~00 respectively. (They dyno a wee bit closer to 300rwhp ) However more 02s have seen 12s than most of the other years combined. Leave it to GM.. Finally get it right and kill it off before someone notices.
Old 03-20-2003, 08:14 AM
TonyZXT

SOME mustang owners are so ignorant. 2 or 3 people in this thread have said a GT with minimal mods will beat a 350z. Well big freakin deal, let me get this straight. You have a V8 MUSCLE CAR that was meant to perform in a straight line, and has a stright axle, and 1.1 liters displacement over the Z. Now the Z on the other hand was meant to be an all around car in the first place, not something that is only meant to drag race well. Knowing this, you think that because you can put minimal mods on a car that already should murder our cars in the 1/4, and just beat it by a tenth or two, and that's a victory for you????? Well here's a cookie for ya! Oh wait, you didn't eat that did you?? Oh $#!+ dude, I'm sorry that was a dog biscuit, my bust.

The Z is equal with those cars in their best catagory, and the Z does everything else well too, whereas the mustang is ugly, much harder to corner in, have crap interiors, are common as hell, a redneck dream,...... should I go on? If Nissan ever put out a Z that was meant to compete with Pukestangs on their own turf then a whole lot of you would get your feelings hurt. Japanese engine technology far surpasses that of old pushrod V8s. I know it will never happen, and I'm glad, because that's not what the Z is all about. However, the skyline on the other hand will own a Cobra, just watch. Someone made a comment about us living in a fantasy world, yet we're comparing apples to oranges, with you guys having all the advantages, and it's still a good comparison, doesn't that bother you at all? It sure as hell should. Kinda sounds like reality isn't your strong suit either.

Now for my disclaimer, not all Mustang owners are like that so don't get all teary eyed at what I said just cause you own one. The guys who will brag on a stock GT, even though they should smoke our cars in a drag race, are the ones that really **** me off.

Last edited by TonyZXT; 03-20-2003 at 08:31 AM.

Quick Reply: What Mustangs CAN't we beat?