Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

What Mustangs CAN't we beat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 08:56 AM
jester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well....ya almost had me listening to you except for when you started talking about your opinion when trying to make your point instead of sticking to facts (Mustang is ugly to you....Z looks like a bug to me....you don't like the Interior of the Mustang....it's not the greatest, but ya know, I kind of like it just fine)...talking about the mustang being a rednecks dream...Japanese technology surpassing V8 pushrod tech (you do know they the 4.6s don't have push rods...right?)....Pukestang (thats a new one to me)...
Good way to make your point
Old 03-20-2003, 09:23 AM
Bullitt5201

Wow, talk about stereotyping (very childish).... I will say it again, backpack accessory reminds me of a Celica (me dropping to your level)... and thanks for your disclaimer, that helped I love these little smiley faces
Old 03-20-2003, 10:15 AM
S8ER95Z

Originally posted by TonyZXT
Someone made a comment about us living in a fantasy world, yet we're comparing apples to oranges, with you guys having all the advantages, and it's still a good comparison, doesn't that bother you at all? It sure as hell should. Kinda sounds like reality isn't your strong suit either.
Im going to go easy on you since it appears you failed 'reading for context 101'. You spotted a few keywords and thought this would be a great time to bring them up. However you failed to read into what you were whining about.

I just don't want you guys to get too full of yourselfs.. we have a board full of LS1 drivers, camaro drivers, honda boys, blue oval boys, etc that all think that THEY have the best cars ever built period. Just try to keep your feet planted down here on earth. The fantasy world is great.. but its worthless IMHO.

I never singled out anyone or compared anyone in that statement. Thats right I made it. If you actually read whats posted you will see that I included myself in that statement as well as the ford people. It had nothing to do with performance of characteristics of any of those cars. I would say comparing 2 people who drive 2 different cars a fair comparison..apples to apples. I mean afterall... We are all people right?

I don't think I should have to tell you what I previously posted actually means. Its pretty obvious and I'm sure you can figure it out.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:56 AM
TonyZXT

S8ER95Z, right you made the fantasy comment, but still what I said wasn't really directed at you (should have made that clear) I really don't have a problem with GM guys. They know their F-bodies are fast, but they don't seem to ram it down people's throats as much as mustang guys do. All things considered I think the F-body guys in general have a good edge over the stang guys. Sure there are a few cobra owners out there who have a faster machine stock to stock, but allot of Cobra owners I've met are older guys who aren't even interested in racing their cars. I know that's probably not a good cross section of Cobra owners, but hey. The cobra has one slight difference from all the other cars mentioned, it's supercharged, so apples and oranges again.

Jester, man thank you! You helped me illustrate my point, it seems like there is allot of mustang guys that just like to go shooting off at the mouth with this "my stang is the baddest thing around" attitude. Case in point " Z looks like a bug to me" ok this begs the question,.. what are you doing here? I take it you don't even like the Z? How many Z owners are trolling around Stangnet.com reminding you guys how even diehard ford fans in general hated the latest redesign of the mustang, (not the current concept) believe me, I know quite a few, or telling you guys how the Z is superior in handling and looks, and blah blah blah? I'll bet none. The case can be made for those statements, but you don't see many Z owners that go to other forums to create a fuss. Mustang owners seem to love coming to Z forums, and other car forums in general and always ending up in the middle of petty arguments (like this one, I'll admit it) more so than any other car guys. This is an observation based on the 7 or so years I've been on car forums, and even longer attending car shows, drag racing, street racing, etc. I have a few friends that are mustang enthusiasts, and even most of them will admit that the Mustang crowd has more than it's share of jerks. If your a mustang owner, and don't like what you're reading, don't even bother getting mad, just let your behavior speak for itself, there are some on this forum that seem like cool people. I dont think for a minute that any generalization about stang owners means that all or even most of them are jerks. Just don't come on a Z forum spouting the superiority of your FORD, and not expect to get flamed.

*steps down off his soapbox*
Old 03-20-2003, 12:37 PM
quallabone_

AD IGNORANTUM
Old 03-20-2003, 01:10 PM
jester

Originally posted by TonyZXT
Jester, man thank you! You helped me illustrate my point, it seems like there is allot of mustang guys that just like to go shooting off at the mouth with this "my stang is the baddest thing around" attitude. Case in point " Z looks like a bug to me" ok this begs the question,.. what are you doing here? I take it you don't even like the Z? How many Z owners are trolling around Stangnet.com reminding you guys how even diehard ford fans in general hated the latest redesign of the mustang, (not the current concept) believe me, I know quite a few, or telling you guys how the Z is superior in handling and looks, and blah blah blah? I'll bet none. The case can be made for those statements, but you don't see many Z owners that go to other forums to create a fuss. Mustang owners seem to love coming to Z forums, and other car forums in general and always ending up in the middle of petty arguments (like this one, I'll admit it) more so than any other car guys. This is an observation based on the 7 or so years I've been on car forums, and even longer attending car shows, drag racing, street racing, etc. I have a few friends that are mustang enthusiasts, and even most of them will admit that the Mustang crowd has more than it's share of jerks. If your a mustang owner, and don't like what you're reading, don't even bother getting mad, just let your behavior speak for itself, there are some on this forum that seem like cool people. I dont think for a minute that any generalization about stang owners means that all or even most of them are jerks. Just don't come on a Z forum spouting the superiority of your FORD, and not expect to get flamed.

*steps down off his soapbox*
Do you really want to get into this with me?
I don't think you do.... you leave so many things open to work with... That and I don't want another e-mail threatening to ban me...cause I do actually enjoy this board for the most part.
I'm getting ready to go home for the day...so I'll keep it short.
Yes..the Z looks like a bug to me....do I like the car...Yes (also why I am on this board ) ...I actually was close to buying one before I got my 03 Cobra.
How many Z guys are tolling over on the 3 other Mustang boards I check out...I don't know..it doesn't bother me (or other Mustang owners) nearly as much to have "visitors" on the Mustang boards as it apparently does over on this board...but I'm willing to bet there are a several.
I have not spouted superiority of Ford on this board....do I think all of you have the correct perspective about the Mustang and Cobra...No, and when I see that, I try to offer the correct perspective....with out causing problems.....

Now...I'm leaving it at that...if you wish to continue this...I'll be more then happy to respond in full tomorrow...however, I think I have been pretty nice, in stating my point. How bout we leave it at that
Old 03-20-2003, 02:09 PM
Bullitt5201

Jester,
You are one bad man... you need to be banned from this planet and never return

Do you know that someone who posts under Daytona Blue.... something or other tried to say that the Bullitt is the same as every other GT, just the fact that it doesnt have a wing... tried to say that the Bullitt is not unique... what do you think, being a Cobra owner and all?
Old 03-20-2003, 03:24 PM
JamRWS6

THe only thing that irks me are the comments about how crappy the build quality is and how poor they handle....that is soooo far from the truth.

Also the comments about the pushrod V8. First of all the 4.6L in the mustang is a OHC engine and secondly are you really calling the LS1 a POS??? It is one of the most amazing engines I've ever driven....there aren't many engines ...pushrod or not...that rev as smoothly or powerfully as this engine.

The Zs are nice cars but you just look ignorant and self centered calling every other car a POS.
Have a good day.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:29 PM
984.6gt

I have seen lots of new GT stangs run 13's, so it would be a good run with a 350Z, the Cobra will crush you, and any kind of gear in a GT will kill you.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:04 PM
TonyZXT

I think some of you guys took my post(s) as a little more confrontational than they were meant to be. I forgot to mention in my last post that yes of course I know that the 4.6 is not a pushrod engine, I helped a buddy change a valve cover gasket on one a while back. That comment was intended to illustrate that a high tech Japanese V8 would MORE than even the playing field. This is not a pissing match here guys, I stirred up the pot on purpose, because a couple people have made comments that came on a little strong similar to the post I made in this thread, and I thought they needed to take notice of how their comments sound. I have no desire to start a fight and get anyone banned or anything rediculous like that. I will be the first to tell anyone who owns a different car than the Z that they are welcome here. Just make sure when you get defensive about your ride of choice, you don't end up offending the very people this forum is here for. Mustang owners tend to be in the middle of arguments like this one on every car forum I can think of, but that doesn't mean that just because you own one that you should take offense to me saying so. Not everyone that replied to what I said was even one of the people that made the comments that prompted my posts in the first place. Take notice on how your posts may sound to others before you post something and dont expect that someone will respond negatively. Anyway, no hard feelings.
Later,
Tony
Old 03-20-2003, 08:20 PM
FLY BY Z

I was strongly considering the 03 Cobra vs. the 350Z. We have 2 Ford dealerships and a Nissan as well as others. Both cars were virtually the same price at 31K. I opted for the Z based on my communications with the dealers, driving both vehicles, and what car would be better off in 7 or 8 years.

The Mustang may be nice now, but I have never seen a driven Mustang that was not a POS in 5 years. Rattles, etc. I have never had a car that long but I have never had a car more expensive than my 01 Z28, either. So it was more of a long term thing for me.

The Z28 ran 12.69 with only a Flowmaster and a K&N/lid setup. The stock Z will not run with a Z28 or newer Cobra/Mach1 and especially the 03 under any circumstances in a straight line. The Z, however, is much more satisfying around corners and the feel of the car is of much higher quality. I went and sat in a Mach 1 today and was even more convinced that I made the right decision. I gave up gobs of power for refinement, reliability, handling, and chicks.

One of my best friends just bought an 03 GT (we were both getting Cobras until I bailed for the Z) yesterday so we will see how they stack up against each other in the months and years to come as we both plan to mod comparatively. We will test by racing each other as much as possible and we will of course see the long term effects Ford and Nissan have on the longevity of both vehicles side by side.

A true car enthusiast loves a vehicle for its strong points and sometimes its weak points (VW). Appreciate the Stang for its cheap power and the Z for its cheap refinement/handling. Both cars are bang for the buck concepts and both excel at their intended purposes, which are quite different.
Old 03-21-2003, 03:44 AM
jester

Originally posted by Bullitt5201
Jester,
You are one bad man... you need to be banned from this planet and never return

Do you know that someone who posts under Daytona Blue.... something or other tried to say that the Bullitt is the same as every other GT, just the fact that it doesnt have a wing... tried to say that the Bullitt is not unique... what do you think, being a Cobra owner and all?
Uh, no...who ever said that would be incorrect. It's not like just another GT, if I'm not mistaken...the Bullitt has a different intake and some other odds and ends (can't remember specifics to be 100% honest with you) outside of the cosmetic upgrades. It's a limited production car....more so then the 03 Cobra (again, going from memory here). I would have liked to see the Bullitt have a little more umph....but over all, I like it

Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head
A true car enthusiast loves a vehicle for its strong points and sometimes its weak points (VW). Appreciate the Stang for its cheap power and the Z for its cheap refinement/handling. Both cars are bang for the buck concepts and both excel at their intended purposes, which are quite different.
Well, said....
Also, we have to keep in mind that the Z and the GT are not exactly in the same price range either.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:50 AM
TrueBlueStang

Originally posted by jester

Also, we have to keep in mind that the Z and the GT are not exactly in the same price range either.
Very true Jester. I paid a mere $19,000 for my 02 GT That gives me a full 12 grand to mod with just to equal a base model z in price. I like the looks of the z, but for what it is worth I like the looks of MY GT also.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:42 AM
jester

Originally posted by TrueBlueStang
Very true Jester. I paid a mere $19,000 for my 02 GT That gives me a full 12 grand to mod with just to equal a base model z in price. I like the looks of the z, but for what it is worth I like the looks of MY GT also.
Well....technically , the GT (going by dollar value) shouldn't be really compaired to the Z.....the Z is in the exact same market as the Cobra.

So, if there should be a comparison....between Ford and Nissan, it should be the Cobra and the Z...

Not trying to get all you Z owners fired up...just making a
statement...

**Edit...I meant to add this point....
And if you modded the GT (making up the difference between the cost of the two cars) you would no longer be comparing Stock for Stock

Last edited by jester; 03-21-2003 at 06:50 AM.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:04 AM
Murry

Default Fuel for the fire

What about the Roush (spelling?) mustangs. There is a dealer down the road that sells them and they are fast- around 360 BHP courtesy of the roots style blower strapped to the engine. The price is around 40K but my GUESS is that they are very competent machines. Roush modified the engine, brakes, and suspension. I prefer my Enthusiast 350Z but I can still appreciate all the other vehicles out there.

At the time I bought my Z I was considering the WRX, Camaro SS, and the Z. Personal preference drove me to the Z. At 28K I think it's a good deal--a compromise between sporty cars (think four bangers) and true performers (ie Vette Z06, Carrera 4, M3, etc....). At 36K I'd rather try to cut a deal on a vette.

In addition, Subaru is scheduled to release the WRX Sti on American shores this summer and a select group MIGHT wind up with bruised egos when they get beat by a 2.5L I4.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:08 AM
jester

Default Re: Fuel for the fire

Originally posted by Murry
What about the Roush (spelling?) mustangs. There is a dealer down the road that sells them and they are fast- around 360 BHP courtesy of the roots style blower strapped to the engine. The price is around 40K but my GUESS is that they are very competent machines. Roush modified the engine, brakes, and suspension. I prefer my Enthusiast 350Z but I can still appreciate all the other vehicles out there.
Roush, Saleen, Steeda...all third party tuners....
All nice cars....all (except when Saleen made the S-351) are not woth the extra $$$ in my opinion
Old 03-21-2003, 09:09 AM
mark_wilkins

Ehh, who cares? There's a lot more to a car than being the fastest thing on the road.

If you want speed, ride a sport bike.

-- Mark
Old 03-21-2003, 09:27 AM
Bullitt5201

Roush Stage 3 is what you were looking at/talking about... I dont know all the details from memory, but IMO the Roush is overpriced from what it has in terms of performance... I have never driven one, but paper facts are not worth the $. I saw a Stage 2 at a car show... basically asthetcis, side exhaust, and handling/suspension mods... however, the woman who owned the car said Roush wanted almost $14K for the stage 3 upgrade... and unfortunately, all the Stage 3 is is the blower you saw mounted to the engine (easily get a more powerful aftermarket blower for alot less $$) the S-351 is a monster and I would consider the S281 and S351 for the price, but not the standard 281 saleen makes w/o supercharger... little more powerful than a stock GT and looks better, but not worth the extra $$ IMO... Steeda, dont know enough to make any comments... looks cool though
peace
Old 03-22-2003, 08:01 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by mark_wilkins
Ehh, who cares? There's a lot more to a car than being the fastest thing on the road.

If you want speed, ride a sport bike.

-- Mark
Very true. I just got rid of an 02 VW GTI and a 02 CBR954RR when I got my Ranger and Z. The bike just wasn't worth it anymore.

And remember, my decision WAS between an 03 Cobra and the Z. And both of us were getting Cobras until I bailed. I think it disheartened him some so he just got a GT and has some mod money left over. After mods, he will be faster than me in the quarter mile but I will win in the curvies and in 5 years I will have a much better car.

I certainly hope that no one has bruised egos if they are outrun by an EVO or STi. Everything in America is based on perception, including the value of our dollar. The Z will always be perceived as a better car by the public than a 4 door economy car with a turbo. The Z is something that will always be looked at by the MAJORITY of people out there with a smile on their faces. Not many will even NOTICE the Scoobie or Mitsu. Any Z owner should never have buyers remorse in the shadow of one of these cars.

The next step from the Z is supercar territory and there are a lot more dollars to be spent to enter that game. We can effectively argue that for the money spent, we have the best sport/performance inspired cars in the American market today. Yes, people will disagree, but if they didn't, we would not have to effectively argue...

Quick Reply: What Mustangs CAN't we beat?