Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

Tomei Header and Cam install

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 06:29 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gabe3d
It's a little funny hearing from you saying that I have nice mods, since your car is much more upgraded then mine, but I appreciate the kind words

I bought the MAFH but I haven't installed it yet. I found a couple of velocity on the market that will fit the JWT popcharger's 6" and funnel it down to 3", but I haven't bought any yet since I keep hearing different statements on the inlet size of the MAF housing. I'll wait until I get back home to measure it myself. By the way, did you measure the ID on the Z1 MAFH?

Sorry, can't give you any insight on your starting problem since I don't have it yet, but 03threefiftyz is running that configuration and I don't believe he has any hot or cold starting issues. Did you change your idle speed?
I take pictures of everything. I took a few pictures of my 3 inch MAF tube before I installed it. I have the same Large MAF tube from Adam that you guys have... Mine is just painted black for some reason.

Inlet opening of the large MAF tube...

Outlet opening of the large MAF tube.

I think both of you (03threefiftyz and 1cockyZ) are using the Samco intake hose which is 3", does it fit fairly ok on the MAFH?

How about you the ___jb what intake tube are you using? I saw on your post that you are using the Ztube, is that right? Hope everything works out for your issues.
I'm just using a standard Z-Tube stretched over the larger MAF tube and the standard JWT Pop Charger.

My plans were to go to a larger throttle body and fabricate the entire intake system if the larger MAF tube and Cosworth plenum helped my car. They both helped, but not as much as I was hoping for, so I'm in kind of a holding pattern.

Since it looks like I might be staying with this combination for a while, I might switch to one of the larger Samco intake tubes and also bore the inside of the Pop Charger opening to match the larger MAF. I wonder if you can get one of the Samco intake tubes without the "Sparco" lettering all over it.

-jb

Last edited by __jb; 07-20-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:40 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

The stock z tube necks down to 70mm on the bend, correct? I did some rather crude measuring of it prior to just saying the hell with it and getting the samco.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:57 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
The stock z tube necks down to 70mm on the bend, correct? I did some rather crude measuring of it prior to just saying the hell with it and getting the samco.
I'm not actually sure. I made sure the Z-Tube would fit over the larger MAF tube, but didn't really measure anything. That was poor planning on my part.

I didn't realize these Samco hoses existed until I started reading your posts, so thanks for the tip. I may have to get one. They shouldn't be too expensive.

-jb
Old 07-20-2009, 07:04 PM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, I have a metric tape measurer.

That was a post i looked at as well, but based on his results with a larger TB and comparing 3" (76mm) pipe vs 3.5" (89mm), no differences between the two were observed. Anyhow, it seems that over the stock one I should see something.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:14 PM
gabe3d

Thanks for the pic and good info guys. I'll get a samco hose as well. Adam must have got confused with what I was asking when he told me it was 76mm throughout.

Last edited by gabe3d; 07-20-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:08 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the Samco hose measures ~2.72 inches in, ~2.69 inches out (throttle body side). It's slightly larger inside than the carbon inlet pipe I was running - I never ran into any issues with mine, and the Samco being cheaper, is a good logical way to go

the car where the member fabbed the intake pipe didn't see any gains with the large pipe because he has no cams - there is not nearly enough velocity through the runners to take advantage of the larger bore diameter.

it's been said many times, but the cam/header/intake relationship is what the NA side of things is all about

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 07-22-2009 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:29 PM
norapat01

is it necessary to wrap the header? I'm about to get a set of Tomei headers, but I don't really want to wrap them up.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:21 PM
gabe3d

No not necessary to wrap the headers. However, it does reduce the engine bay temperature quite a bit , but if that is your only goal it might be just as good and easier to heat coat them. The other side benefit of wrapping them is to reduce exhaust rasp and drone. After wrapping the testpipe (easiest part to test on) I was convinced of the benefits and went ahead and wrapped the headers and most of my catback.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:30 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

it's not necessary to wrap any header - you could certainly just ceramic/jet hot coat it. Some sort of coating is really a must have IMHO due to the positioning of the short type headers, as they sit very high up in the engine bay, particularly on the intake side. It's not particularly difficult to do, just takes a bit of patience
Old 07-23-2009, 05:05 PM
gabe3d

Looks like I found a winner in regards to a which filter will fit the best with the minimal amount of modification.

Apexi makes an 80mm filter, it comes with a velocity stack built in, a funnel top design similar to the JWT but it's made of plastic as oppose to filter media, and it is a dry filter. The good part about it is that the mounting should be pretty easy. They have a universal kit that comes with an 80mm slip flange which you can weld a small plate and add four holes for it to bolt on to the MAF. The other option is to buy just the filter and fabricate a very simple plate with 8 bolt holes (4 to bolt on the plate to the filter and 4 to bolt on to the MAF) and an 80mm in the middle of course. The filter itself is made to be able to bolt on directly to most MAF housing (it has a total of 8 possible mounting points) but unfortunately none of them lined up to ours. I'm going to buy the kit so that I can try both ways to see which fits better, since i'm a little worried that with the flange the filter might be too close to the radiator.

Has anyone tried this filter with the 3" maf yet? Link below is for the 75mm kit but the components are exactly the same.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/home/product...%2080mm&image=

Adam,

PM me if you can get the Universal 80mm kit in so that I can put that on to my order. Thanks!

Last edited by gabe3d; 07-23-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:10 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

I have heard some things in the past about apexi being poor in filtration, but if it works it works.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:51 PM
gabe3d

There is a review that I found the other day comparing the Apexi, K&N, HKS, and Blitz. The review was pretty straight forward in terms of filtering capability. Plugged in to a vacuum cleaner and see how much dust is collected. The Apexi clearly came out to be the best. Check it out.

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

As for the gains. I'm not sure how that was calculated, perhaps how much restriction was caused on the vacuum cleaner by measuring the electrical load between no filter and with filter.

Last edited by gabe3d; 07-23-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:01 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Actually I think I was thinking of the blitz filter........my mistake.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Gabe - I'll check tomorrow and pm you
Old 07-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Bigalow

gabe, your car is officially the best I've ever heard for a G.

I'm jump on a sub.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:09 PM
bimmertech

Looks like I found a winner in regards to a which filter will fit the best with the minimal amount of modification.
have you looked at vibrant's catalog to see if they have what you need?

they offer velocity stacks/hoses/filters/etc in all sorts of diff sizes.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...Path=1022_1036

Last edited by bimmertech; 07-28-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:53 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by bimmertech
have you looked at vibrant's catalog to see if they have what you need?

they offer velocity stacks/hoses/filters/etc in all sorts of diff sizes.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...Path=1022_1036
Yeah looked them up but couldn't find anything that would match up well. The velocity stack they offer comes in 3" and 3.5", but the 80mm is rignt in between. They also have a MAF adapter for nissan application but none of them line up to the holes for the VQ35. I also wanted to make the length from the tip of the filter to the MAF housing as short as possible because of possible clearance issue. Thanks for the link though
Old 07-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Bigalow

Apexi makes an 80mm filter, it comes with a velocity stack built in, a funnel top design similar to the JWT but it's made of plastic as oppose to filter media, and it is a dry filter. The good part about it is that the mounting should be pretty easy. They have a universal kit that comes with an 80mm slip flange which you can weld a small plate and add four holes for it to bolt on to the MAF. The other option is to buy just the filter and fabricate a very simple plate with 8 bolt holes (4 to bolt on the plate to the filter and 4 to bolt on to the MAF) and an 80mm in the middle of course. The filter itself is made to be able to bolt on directly to most MAF housing (it has a total of 8 possible mounting points) but unfortunately none of them lined up to ours. I'm going to buy the kit so that I can try both ways to see which fits better, since i'm a little worried that with the flange the filter might be too close to the radiator.

Has anyone tried this filter with the 3" maf yet? Link below is for the 75mm kit but the components are exactly the same.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/home/product...%2080mm&image=

Adam,

PM me if you can get the Universal 80mm kit in so that I can put that on to my order. Thanks!

Gabe, I just finished reading the thread and noticed that you opt'd for the Apexi filter. IMHO, it's one of the best on the market and it's unfortunate that Apexi doesn't get much attention (other than exhausts). I had Apexi components in a previous car and loved them.

Ironically, you're going for my future intake goals (80MM Apexi via 3" samco tube). I'll tell you what, if that setup doesn't work for you then I'll $$ everything from you.

BTW, you said you wrapped most of your exhaust w/ Tomei wrap? Have pix?

Last edited by Bigalow; 07-29-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:57 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by Bigalow
Gabe, I just finished reading the thread and noticed that you opt'd for the Apexi filter. IMHO, it's one of the best on the market and it's unfortunate that Apexi doesn't get much attention (other than exhausts). I had Apexi components in a previous car and loved them.

Ironically, you're going for my future intake goals (80MM Apexi via 3" samco tube). I'll tell you what, if that setup doesn't work for you then I'll $$ everything from you.

BTW, you said you wrapped most of your exhaust w/ Tomei wrap? Have pix?
Sure will keep you in mind if my intake doesn't work out

I used the Tomei wrap on the headers but opted to use the DEI Titanium Wrap for everything else. On top of the wrap I used two type of silicone sealers, both from DEI as well. The Tomei works really well for the headers since they conform much much better then other wraps, but the draw back is that they are 3x the price. The best pic I have is the same pic as from a couple post ago, which you can see below. The only portions of my MD exhaust i didn't opt to wrap are the muffler section as well as the resonator. I should keep a better photo journal so that it can be more useful to others, but when you are in the middle of something it's hard to stop and take pics especially since it's a one man show. HTH.

Name:  IMG_4916.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  112.9 KB
Old 07-29-2009, 06:02 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

There is a pic of the headers wrapped on pg 2 as well. I think I am finally going to have the jwt lathed this weekend to 80mm......I've been meaning to do it for a while now.

Quick Reply: Tomei Header and Cam install