Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

zwei_the_c's Introduction & New HR Z33 (+Photo Dump)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 12:46 PM
zwei_the_c

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Every time I see that avatar, I think of the day, not too far in the future, when computers achieve Kurzweil's Singularity and take over the planet. She's like the hottie terminator from Rise of the Machines, only she's made out of rubber.
Damn, that's some cold love.
The following users liked this post:
zakmartin (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 04:25 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by zwei_the_c

New body panel, also this is my first "cosmetic" mod truth be told with exception of wheels.

Nice.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:54 PM
rearranged

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm curious as to why you went with different offset on the front and rear wheels?

Last edited by rearranged; 05-20-2017 at 05:13 PM. Reason: F#cking auto correct
Old 05-21-2017, 04:11 PM
zwei_the_c

Originally Posted by rearranged
I'm curious as to why you went with different offset on the front and rear wheels?
To be honest, I'm not really sure myself. At the time, I was going to go with +22 offset all round thinking that is a good modest approach, but a friend told me I should go lower on the rears like +12 for more aggressive look. I think the front stayed +22 to clear future BBK. I don't want spacers. But that merely my assumption. Do correct me if you're more knowledgeable about wheels.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:34 PM
zwei_the_c

While doing an oil-change, I decided to inspect the welds on the High-Flow Cats as travlee had warned me about possible cracking. So far, it's looking good, 3 months in.

As for the HKS Replicas exhaust, they don't look too good.
Oh Tomei. . . where are you, honey.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:24 PM
rearranged

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

To be honest, I'm not really sure myself. At the time, I was going to go with +22 offset all round thinking that is a good modest approach, but a friend told me I should go lower on the rears like +12 for more aggressive look. I think the front stayed +22 to clear future BBK. I don't want spacers. But that merely my assumption. Do correct me if you're more knowledgeable about wheels.
I was just curious more than anything. Most people always get matching offsets(or really close) front and back. I had looked at getting a 18x9.5 setup all around with +22 in front and +12 in the rear last year but never pulled the trigger. I ended up with a set of grand touring wheels that I still need to refinish.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:44 AM
zwei_the_c

It's been almost three years since I've joined this forum, I very much like the platform, sometime I do think about parting the Z and selling it off for a Porsche Panamera, more utility/use, but with German over-enginering (nightmare); or acquiring a little bit of debt and upgrade to a Nissan GT-R R35 or Acura NSX NA1.

However, it would be wise to not do anything rash. I'm only 24, turned a month ago. I think I will continue to post here with progression on to what I've done, basically a build thread. I still have plans to do more to this Z, including a manual conversion which almost makes no sense but nevertheless. I'll posts everything I've done to my Z since the last "mod" post I made on this thread to document my progression for let's say, documentation in the event of a new owner or just for me to look back on here for self-gratification. I believe I have a decent taste, but I do try to do things with a budget, you see.

I'll start tomorrow.

EDIT: Actually, someone tell me if I should or not? Would it be more fitting to post in one of those section of other builds threads? Now it sounds like a lot of work.

Last edited by zwei_the_c; 01-31-2020 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:23 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

It's been almost three years since I've joined this forum, I very much like the platform, sometime I do think about parting the Z and selling it off for a Porsche Panamera, more utility/use, but with German over-enginering (nightmare); or acquiring a little bit of debt and upgrade to a Nissan GT-R R35 or Acura NSX NA1.

However, it would be wise to not do anything rash. I'm only 24, turned a month ago. I think I will continue to post here with progression on to what I've done, basically a build thread. I still have plans to do more to this Z, including a manual conversion which almost makes no sense but nevertheless. I'll posts everything I've done to my Z since the last "mod" post I made on this thread to document my progression for let's say, documentation in the event of a new owner or just for me to look back on here for self-gratification. I believe I have a decent taste, but I do try to do things with a budget, you see.

I'll start tomorrow.

EDIT: Actually, someone tell me if I should or not? Would it be more fitting to post in one of those section of other builds threads? Now it sounds like a lot of work.
Just keep posting here since it's already in progress. New posts are seen regardless of what section it's in. And, if you want to have it moved to the "Build" section. Just say the word. A moderator can move it in no time. (Or just start a new build thread in that section.)

On your manual conversion, I've never looked into this for a 33 (since all my Zs have been MT) but.... back in the day, doing a manual conversion on a Z car (like S30, S130) was pretty simple since the hole in the firewall for the clutch master was pre-existing so all one had to do was add the M/C and change out the pedal box arrangement to add the pedal. I assisted on one conversion back in the day and it really was cake. I'm sure it's more complicated than that on a 33 what with electronics being involved but would imagine it's easily overcome. Good luck!

If you move to a Panamera, I wouldn't see your avatar anymore. The one that makes me SMH every time with a "Whuttup wit dat?" Hahahahahahaha!
Old 01-31-2020, 08:18 AM
Mully

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll start tomorrow.

I say keep on posting. I like to see Zs with clean mods such as your's as it's refreshing. It's a bonus that you're local too (I'm in Corona).
Old 01-31-2020, 12:35 PM
zwei_the_c

Originally Posted by Mully
I say keep on posting. I like to see Zs with clean mods such as your's as it's refreshing. It's a bonus that you're local too (I'm in Corona).
That's great, glad someone is local when the help could be used sometime, but I usually don't venture past Eastvale myself. I don't know what is out there, no harm intended. I'm just ignorant.

Originally Posted by MicVelo
On your manual conversion, I've never looked into this for a 33 (since all my Zs have been MT) but.... back in the day, doing a manual conversion on a Z car (like S30, S130) was pretty simple since the hole in the firewall for the clutch master was pre-existing so all one had to do was add the M/C and change out the pedal box arrangement to add the pedal. I assisted on one conversion back in the day and it really was cake. I'm sure it's more complicated than that on a 33 what with electronics being involved but would imagine it's easily overcome. Good luck!

If you move to a Panamera, I wouldn't see your avatar anymore. The one that makes me SMH every time with a "Whuttup wit dat?" Hahahahahahaha!
Ha, well, I've done some research myself. I would need quite a bit of things. Some optional, like MT gauge cluster. I believe MT harness and MT ECU is optional as well? But I don't intend to do it just yet, partly because of how strong the AT is going. I'll be flying to Japan soon so I won't have money to throw around yet.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:07 PM
zwei_the_c

Back to the thread.

Last post I made was the front bumper N-3R I got. Sometime after, I bought a used Top Secret style rear diffuser, side splitter Type Zero branded and canards off a Nismo V-2 bumper seller. Installed same day, which I can't find photos of.

Photoshoot on first week of 2018...with the famous Jr Sang, who shoots for Speedhunters & Super Street I believe. Site was out in Palm Springs.

Then I had bought Rays center caps $100+ to protect the hub from outside elements. I think it goes quite well with the color, not too flashy but nice contracts.

After some quite time, I begin to have a leak in my headlight seal. I originally wanted a reseal, I wasn't sure why this was happening so I went and decided to get it redone completely. Though I do miss the OEM look sometime, I think it's more classy to have that OEM personally.

The very photo that prompted me to do something about it. Which lead to this,

Old 01-31-2020, 01:48 PM
zwei_the_c

Wow, look at that! My door handles are forming air bubbles? It seems I'm not alone on this, some reported having the same issues. I can't be sure why still to day.I replaced all the handles. I have an extra set which I got scammed out which turned out to be broken, the seller wasn't being honesty as I was clueless about what to look for. 2hr drive + $50 down the drain. Thanks.

Next major item I can remember doing, was doing the Akebono BBK conversion on the 350Z. Bought a set off a G37 Sports. I'll just skip all the DIY part, it was a learning experience. Took me some time, but I was very happy with it. I painted them yellow eventually.

This was taken at the Rays Tribute Meet, 2018 October. You can see the pads not correctly doing its job on the rotor surface, I had uneven brake pad wear since I installed correct 14" rotors, previous was on Brembo 350Z rotors the the seller sold me was uneducated about and forced me to of course shell out for the correct rotors and new brake pads. I eventually got StopTech Street pads.

Later corrected here;

Look what happened here, my bushings/ball joins are all giving out. The added braking force stressed them out where the same week installed; they have completely failed. I had made an emegerency order for Whiteline/Energy Suspension solid polys bushings in the front of the car.

The other thing was leading me to a new exhaust set-up! Why am I rocking this fake HKS exhaust? It was my mod and it was cheap, time to fix that. I settled on Tanabe Medallion Concept G exhaust with a Stillen y-pipe. I had look for a y-pipe with no flex joint. I am lowered, and do not want to deal with exhaust leak from the joints. All brand new, feels like a baller here.

See that zip tie? Yep, my rear diffuser ripped off on the highway 60 FWY going Eastbound. I had hit an unsuspecting cone that was in the middle of my lane in night following behind a car that sat pretty high whereas I did not. I couldn't do much to evade to not cause an accident. The rear diffuser ripped in half, and pulled my rear bumper outward, dragging on the ground. Before, I had perfect lines, now I have giant gaps not shown in here.

I was upset. But alas, life is unfair. I bought another rear diffuser... moved on with my life. Then a year later, I hit deep water on my way to the local flower store to buy flowers for my lady, and same thing all over again. Babied the car back and just sold off the rear diffuser of what's left. Today, I currently do not have anything. Just a naked rear bumper. It looks a little funny still to me.

The download files below are quick video of the new exhaust! Take a listen if you would like to hear the dB and exhaust note to both files.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1302.mov (770.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: mov
IMG_8908.MOV (3.18 MB, 18 views)

Last edited by zwei_the_c; 01-31-2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:50 PM
zwei_the_c

Picked up some goodies. And lots of goodies not pictured or mentioned here. Trust me, I don't even remember them all anymore. I'm rushing on catching up to current time on the build, so just very very briefly some things done to the Z.

This came from a GT-R R35, will be used on my Z33 for plan for E-85. 1000cc, surprised me when they arrived in ID2000CC BOX. I was freaking out.

Then I picked up some quick-tilt from Works Bell in response to my recent choice to go bucket seats. I'll be looking into Works Bell short hub & OMP steering wheel. I have a few other parts in mind to pick up when I have the funding...

Finally, something I'm proud to have, Recaros SPG Profis seats x2, along with Buddy Club rails. I'm very happy with them.

I used black athletic tape to cover some rips and tear, I made a order with Recaro to buy a brand new seat cover for the driver seat. It was super cheap but really ripped up, so I still landed on a great deal!!

After some heavy diving in the net, I've decided to switch up my brake set-up, why?
Well, I want to be different. I see other with Akebonos, and that's fine and all, but I don't feel any special value toward the BBK anymore when a I see Akebonos on all the Z/G in a car show. That's why. I eventually sold them, and I went back to OEM while I work this whole thing out. Which I'll do later in details.

Oh yes, I also picked up some Hotchiks sway bar. I'm excited to install them as well. After I do the AMG BBK to avoid any brake fluid ruining the paint finish on the sway bar sets.

Test mocking them on the 370Z Sports Rotors.

The rear will be Brembo off the Jeep Grand Cherokee 2012+ SRT WK2 models. They are 4-POT. These will require a lot of work to fit on the Z. Details later.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:37 AM
zwei_the_c

Went to work on cleaning up the calipers and swapping adapters over. I like to take these slow and savory the moment.

They're on, along with 370Z Sports rotors. 100% bolt-ons, a little tricky to slide your hands in between the rotors and the calipers.... since the hardware would sit inside the rotor hats where there's room, but you needed to torque them down. So you have the rotors on there, very loosely angled where you can slide in a nut on the inside hub. Pads out, so you have more room to angle the rotors. Then you TQ down the nuts and bolts, which I had to order from I believe Bolts Depot? DM if you require hardware spec's. Just lazy to look up.

You see, pads out. Cat is amused by the shiny thing.
Yes, I know the splash fender liner is wack.

Text said it all. It fits, kinda tight but I think I had like an extra 4-6mm room? I'll see to it later if anyone wants to know. I would like to have a digital caliper tool...

With the change in superior braking components, I also opted to all stainless-steel brake lines & Z1 Motorsports Master Cylinder Brake Brace, it's very good.
Later down the line, I will opt for Motul DOT 4 & StopTech Brake pads or Yellowstuff Brakepads. 2-piece rotors would be very nice... but on a budget, I do not see that happenings soon.

The following users liked this post:
BigBlue (02-04-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 12:06 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Really like the mods you have done on your car. Are the photos done in Palm Springs?
Old 02-03-2020, 02:08 AM
813_350Z

Received 318 Likes on 247 Posts

Are those aftermarket headlights, or did you fit LEDS into the OEM lights?

Old 02-03-2020, 05:16 AM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

Like the mods! I agree with OEM lights being better. Only one thing I dislike is the QC connector on the bumper, kinda cringe a bit when I see them on a non race car. I don't think I've ever seen a black car with frost interior before, unique for sure.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:46 AM
zwei_the_c

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^ Really like the mods you have done on your car. Are the photos done in Palm Springs?
Yes, that's correct. The exact site is called, Twentynine Pines/Palms in Palm Springs. It's kinda tricky to get there. I hope to set-up more photoshoots with professional photographers. I do have more shoots with another photographer, I could upload some more onto this thread if you like.

Originally Posted by 813_350Z
Are those aftermarket headlights, or did you fit LEDS into the OEM lights?
They're the original OEM that's been fitted with sequential LED switchback that's also painted black. Shame on my part, should have bought black DEPO to do that. Additionally, the LED turns amber for turning signals and hazards on both sides.

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
Like the mods! I agree with OEM lights being better. Only one thing I dislike is the QC connector on the bumper, kinda cringe a bit when I see them on a non race car. I don't think I've ever seen a black car with frost interior before, unique for sure.
I don't fault you for that, I actually do like the look without it there. When I had bought the front bumper off a friend, the mounting tabs were all broken, so I used Quick-Release. The pro side, is that it's been very useful in all my work. It takes 30secs to pop the bumper off, and suddenly I have more leverage with tools and view ability for inspections.

I will get the Superleggers fenders/bumper; I will lose this style of QR and use the other "subtle" QR, where you push in a button, and it pops out of place. You might not like what I will do next either, I'll be installing Aerocatch hood latches. It's unnecessary, but I believe in safety; that in the event I didn't close it properly, I have not to worry. I'm eyeing some AAM TT kit in the next 2-3 years (if I can) so this should be a good investment.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:57 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Love it. Another Mag Black Z33 goes FI/ "the dark side" haha!
Old 02-03-2020, 01:02 PM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

Hood pins I don't mind as it's literally a safety item, I've been actively fighting a battle with my self as I would rather not drill into my expensive Varis hood, but as good quality as it may be it moves quite a bit more than I'd like on the highway. So I guess I will put some in this year. I guess that is a valid point to the QC on the bumper, I've done the opposite actually I replaced all my pop up clips with screws so my bumper takes quite a bit of work to take off lol.

Quick Reply: zwei_the_c's Introduction & New HR Z33 (+Photo Dump)