Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Owned a Z for 3.5 years. Decision time (Toyota 86)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 04:29 PM
drozzy

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the clarification Mic, I hadn't realized the rears were so heavy. Since this set's purpose would be Friday night test and tune events at the strip, I think the RPF1's are the clear number 1 choice... both sets (OEM and Raijins) on my G are Enkei wheels. I might as well get a company shirt or something. I know I know, small potatoes...

Is this in the ballpark?
-18X9 (5X114.3) RPF1's, 35mm offset -- 18.4 lbs
-275/40R18; Nitto NT05, MT Street Comp or BFG Comp Sport 2

I'll do a search in the drag forum to see if people have successfully driven ~20 miles to the track on different kinds of tires between the rears and the fronts. Sounds very cheap to only buy a set of rears at the risk of compromising safety (?) but I have to see what people have done in the past. I mean, it's roughly half the price and 1010tires (CAD) has Enkeis on for $466 a piece.....
Old 10-18-2017, 04:55 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by drozzy
Thanks for the clarification Mic, I hadn't realized the rears were so heavy. Since this set's purpose would be Friday night test and tune events at the strip, I think the RPF1's are the clear number 1 choice... both sets (OEM and Raijins) on my G are Enkei wheels. I might as well get a company shirt or something. I know I know, small potatoes...

Is this in the ballpark?
-18X9 (5X114.3) RPF1's, 35mm offset -- 18.4 lbs
-275/40R18; Nitto NT05, MT Street Comp or BFG Comp Sport 2

I'll do a search in the drag forum to see if people have successfully driven ~20 miles to the track on different kinds of tires between the rears and the fronts. Sounds very cheap to only buy a set of rears at the risk of compromising safety (?) but I have to see what people have done in the past. I mean, it's roughly half the price and 1010tires (CAD) has Enkeis on for $466 a piece.....
Not quite following here. I was just pointing out that the GT wheels are heavy; but are entirely suitable for the street, esp. with your new A/S rubber. No real need to swap those out for daily use unless you're looking for a bit more performance, handling wise.

BUT, when you go to the strip, yes, I would consider a stronger, lighter wheel for the rear (and a pair of skinnies up front if you're really serious ).

IOW, a streetable (to get there) gumball for hookup off the line mounted on the strongest wheel that will take a clutch dump start. I don't know drag tires any more, can't help you there as the last time I was on a strip was, oh, about 1976.

There are drag Z "experts" here, I noted someone recently - can't recall who - who mounted up some 15x10s or 11s with some drag meat on 'em. Looked odd to one's eyes accustomed to 18 and 19" wheels; but probably hooked up like cyanoacrylate.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:04 PM
drozzy

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Not quite following here. I was just pointing out that the GT wheels are heavy; but are entirely suitable for the street, esp. with your new A/S rubber. No real need to swap those out for daily use unless you're looking for a bit more performance, handling wise.

BUT, when you go to the strip, yes, I would consider a stronger, lighter wheel for the rear (and a pair of skinnies up front if you're really serious ).

IOW, a streetable (to get there) gumball for hookup off the line mounted on the strongest wheel that will take a clutch dump start. I don't know drag tires any more, can't help you there as the last time I was on a strip was, oh, about 1976.

There are drag Z "experts" here, I noted someone recently - can't recall who - who mounted up some 15x10s or 11s with some drag meat on 'em. Looked odd to one's eyes accustomed to 18 and 19" wheels; but probably hooked up like cyanoacrylate.
But Mic, PS4S are not A/S rubber... they're the successor to the PSS and Michelin just happen to make them in OEM GT v2 sizes. They're my street duty set for the next 3 to 5 summers! You guys confirmed that a dedicated set of 18's is the way to go for the weekend, not-invested-up-to-his-eyeballs drag enthusiast and I'm not disagreeing.

My friend lives about 20 miles from the closest drag strip, it's just a matter of determining whether I buy a full set of 4 or can make do with dedicated rear 275/45R18's to match my front 245/40R18 Michelins ONLY at the track (with buddy bringing them in the truck bed). If I'm buying four sticky street tires on lightweight 18's, I'll leave them at my buddy's place and put them on a few hours before the evening starts. No, I won't go as far as skinnies because I'm not going FI and want to keep it civil *hum* probably run low 13's when it's all said and done. And I'm happy with that, since it's a daily driver in the summer.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:26 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by drozzy
But Mic, PS4S are not A/S rubber... they're the successor to the PSS and Michelin just happen to make them in OEM GT v2 sizes. They're my street duty set for the next 3 to 5 summers! You guys confirmed that a dedicated set of 18's is the way to go for the weekend, not-invested-up-to-his-eyeballs drag enthusiast and I'm not disagreeing.

My friend lives about 20 miles from the closest drag strip, it's just a matter of determining whether I buy a full set of 4 or can make do with dedicated rear 275/45R18's to match my front 245/40R18 Michelins ONLY at the track (with buddy bringing them in the truck bed). If I'm buying four sticky street tires on lightweight 18's, I'll leave them at my buddy's place and put them on a few hours before the evening starts. No, I won't go as far as skinnies because I'm not going FI and want to keep it civil *hum* probably run low 13's when it's all said and done. And I'm happy with that, since it's a daily driver in the summer.

Ooops, wasn't paying attention... just thought I recalled a mention of all seasons earlier. My bad... the PS4s are even better for summer dailies then!! Hahahaha.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:59 PM
drozzy

Originally Posted by dkmura
As for the sound system, I'm certainly not in your league, But my aim was to improve the sound without adding much, if any, weight. It's amazing what a good speaker with clean power will do, but I'm under no illusion that there's better systems available.
Agreed. On a similar note, never underestimate the power of a crystal clear sounding head unit with quality internals and what it can do for (any) system.

This is the one I'll miss for the rest of my days:

It was in this good ol' 2000 VQ30 Maxima:

But it never made it into the G due to my taste for video/double-din at the time:

However, the Focals did make it along with one of the 38 pounder IDMAXes, which I still run to this day on the Orion 1200D (725 rms @ 2 ohm). Gord Downie died today, so the sub played low kick drum and musical bass guitar on my way to and from the grocery store.

Last edited by drozzy; 10-18-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:16 PM
drozzy

And as for.. "leagues", there used to be a sense of pride back then (1999-2008) but nowadays it doesn't mean jack. I can't go to cars and coffee and have a meaningful SQ conversation, and I posted on CAF (caraudioforum.com) as drozzy between 2005 and 2009 I believe. I'm only 32 and I got my first car in the middle of the car audio golden age.

This is my options analysis for an SQL sub on Excel 2007...