Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Input on best mods for my auto 03 350z

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 04:10 PM
AOsborne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input on best mods for my auto 03 350z

Trying to find what direction I want to go in with my z.. Its an 03 auto with 145k on it. I know it's all preference based, but some suggestions on best mods would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-20-2017, 04:28 PM
coletrickle74

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

With that many miles, the only "mods" I would do are suspension bushings on just about everything you can imagine. New fluids all the way around as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by coletrickle74:
Atreyu'z 350 (06-21-2017), zwei_the_c (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 04:47 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by coletrickle74
With that many miles, the only "mods" I would do are suspension bushings on just about everything you can imagine. New fluids all the way around as well.
^^^ This.

After that, consider a new set of shocks because if yours are original (or replaced around when they should have been at 50-60k depending on how/where it was driven) they are lonnnnnng dead.

But before you do anything, determine what your goals are for the car.... street, street/track, autocross, canyon runner, what? No objective = car by consensus of what others - not your needs - are doing. No bueno.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:31 PM
AOsborne

Originally Posted by MicVelo
^^^ This.

After that, consider a new set of shocks because if yours are original (or replaced around when they should have been at 50-60k depending on how/where it was driven) they are lonnnnnng dead.

But before you do anything, determine what your goals are for the car.... street, street/track, autocross, canyon runner, what? No objective = car by consensus of what others - not your needs - are doing. No bueno.
i just had new springs put on yesterday because I could feel it needed it. I want something that fairly competitive on the street, just need some guidance on what to get to make that happen
Old 06-20-2017, 05:42 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by AOsborne
i just had new springs put on yesterday because I could feel it needed it. I want something that fairly competitive on the street, just need some guidance on what to get to make that happen
What does that even mean?
Old 06-20-2017, 05:55 PM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

NOS
SC
TT

or EBAY bolt ons, good for 150 whp - goggle it, they're there their
Old 06-20-2017, 05:58 PM
carbuffguy

Originally Posted by dcains
What does that even mean?
damn you gave me a good laugh
Old 06-20-2017, 06:15 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

As in street racing?

OK, I'm out.

Ain't gonna teach anyone how to be an ***. You wanna be "competitive"? There's NOTHING competitive about street racing. Take it to the track and see how "competitive" you'll be. Street racing is for people who think they're proving something while endangering innocent people.

[ Puts mod cap on ]

READ from TOU:

22.) STREET RACING THREADS

Due to safety and legality concerns, street racing threads posted anywhere on this site are prohibited. Users that post street racing threads will be warned for the first infraction and then banned for any following infractions.

Consider this THE warning.

Last edited by MicVelo; 06-20-2017 at 06:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MicVelo:
jhc (06-20-2017), travlee (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 06:38 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Trying to find what direction I want to go in with my z.. Its an 03 auto with 145k on it. I know it's all preference based, but some suggestions on best mods would be greatly appreciated!

What's your budget?...
Old 06-21-2017, 07:12 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

If you want to go street ricing, get the NOS. Once installed, hopefully it will get impounded and crushed before you kill someone. A few weekends in jail will also help cure the street ricing stupidity

Last edited by terrasmak; 06-21-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:30 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by terrasmak
If you want to go street racing, get the NOS. Once installed, hopefully it will get impounded and crushed before you kill someone. A few weekends in jail will also help cure the street ricing stupidity
terrasmak said "...street RICING"

BUUUUUUWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!
Old 06-21-2017, 07:47 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

This gonna get ugly up in hera
Old 06-21-2017, 11:31 AM
AOsborne

I can see where y'all could've taken the term "competitive on the streets" in the wrong way.. I do not promote it and I find it quite annoying when others do it around me. What I meant by this was that I want something that will enhance the feeling of my car, performance wise. Rolling around in a stock 350 is cool and all but I want something that stands out and can be quick no matter where I take it. For most of us on this site, being experienced z owners, I'd think you could turn to the forums for guidance and help rather than getting put down by other members.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:01 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I can see where y'all could've taken the term "competitive on the streets" in the wrong way.. I do not promote it and I find it quite annoying when others do it around me. What I meant by this was that I want something that will enhance the feeling of my car, performance wise. Rolling around in a stock 350 is cool and all but I want something that stands out and can be quick no matter where I take it. For most of us on this site, being experienced z owners, I'd think you could turn to the forums for guidance and help rather than getting put down by other members.
OK, now that that's cleared up, let's make something perfectly clear here. This is NOT about anyone "putting anyone down", it's a general condemnation - in this case, miscontrued and for that, my apologies - of street racing and the stupidity of those doing so. (I usually don't trigger easily but this is a very sore spot to me, if you couldn't tell. )

So, I harken back to earlier posts by myself and others.... when you say you want to enhance the feeling of the car, are we talking handling, aesthetics, power or....?

And again, the key question: BUDGET?

In general, the Z33 has enough power for most people who can handle it.

Next comes handling then. You swapped springs, OK....but what about the shocks - which control said springs? Sway bars stock? If so, that's the next thing (or the first thing if shocks are already decent). Is your alignment set with the new springs? If so, how? Alignment gear? Within stock adjustability only?

Point is, you need to get specific here as one thing is attached to another and there's an order of doing things to get it right.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:17 PM
carbuffguy

My friend, you were asked "what's your budget"...you didn't respond to that.

You need to start over and respond to the budget question or this is not going anywhere.

And for the record, it's not you getting "put down" it's your choice of words. If you take some time on the site and look there's lots of mod threads here.
But you can maybe get 20/30 hp for $2k and the price goes waaaay up after that...So you can see it's about the budget

You'll not get any help from members here for street speed mods (specially now) - The Z is plenty fast for that use. If you man up and take it to the track, it'll open a brand new world for ya
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (06-22-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 01:20 PM
travlee
Master

I got 17whp for a total cost of $3200. No way he will 20 or 30
Old 06-21-2017, 01:52 PM
AOsborne

OK, now that that's cleared up, let's make something perfectly clear here. This is NOT about anyone "putting anyone down", it's a general condemnation - in this case, miscontrued and for that, my apologies - of street racing and the stupidity of those doing so. (I usually don't trigger easily but this is a very sore spot to me, if you couldn't tell. )

So, I harken back to earlier posts by myself and others.... when you say you want to enhance the feeling of the car, are we talking handling, aesthetics, power or....?

And again, the key question: BUDGET?

In general, the Z33 has enough power for most people who can handle it.

Next comes handling then. You swapped springs, OK....but what about the shocks - which control said springs? Sway bars stock? If so, that's the next thing (or the first thing if shocks are already decent). Is your alignment set with the new springs? If so, how? Alignment gear? Within stock adjustability only?

Point is, you need to get specific here as one thing is attached to another and there's an order of doing things to get it right.
For budget 2k or less preferably.. the handling is nice and tight as is and I don't really have any intention of tracking it until wayyy later down the road. I am looking for a little more power and I'm also aware that it doesn't matter how much you have unless you can apply it to the ground. Aesthetics is also another point of interest for me as well. The order of doing things advice is part of the suggestions I am looking for on here and I appreciate that. I agree that it does have plenty enough power for the average driver but coming from a racing background it just needs a little more for me to be content.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:36 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

For budget 2k or less preferably.. the handling is nice and tight as is and I don't really have any intention of tracking it until wayyy later down the road. I am looking for a little more power and I'm also aware that it doesn't matter how much you have unless you can apply it to the ground. Aesthetics is also another point of interest for me as well. The order of doing things advice is part of the suggestions I am looking for on here and I appreciate that. I agree that it does have plenty enough power for the average driver but coming from a racing background it just needs a little more for me to be content.
Wellllll, $2k isn't going to buy much (read: NOT MUCH) power. The usual tricks like low restriction intake, raised plenum, full exhaust and tune will pretty much take up that entire $2k and you might gain 10-15whp - which is definitely "feelable"; but in the overall scheme of things, not much.

I would go the "cheater route" with that money.... lower your rear gear and a better LSD to get it all down to the ground more efficiently. This will yield nice gains in acceleration (versus speed and with the obvious gear lowering downsides like higher cruising revs and lower gas mileage; but that's part of the price ya pay.

There's a recent thread on here about a trans re-programming (Transgo I think it was). Didn't really read it but from my past exp with B&M and other A/T re-prog kits in domestic trannies (down, Trav), they're worthwhile from a shift speed and quality perspective. Suggest you find that thread and read that to see if that's an option for you.

But again, before all that, I'd pay more attention to (in this order):

1. Tires
2. ...and/or lightweight, strong wheels (like something forged or at least spun cast like Enkei RPF1s)
3. Suspension tuned around the above. Sway bars, shocks, alignment.

Suspension brings out the best of the Z.

Cosmetics like wings, spoilers, aero front ends of your choice are up to you.
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (06-22-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 03:04 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Wellllll, $2k isn't going to buy much (read: NOT MUCH) power. The usual tricks like low restriction intake, raised plenum, full exhaust and tune will pretty much take up that entire $2k and you might gain 10-15whp - which is definitely "feelable"; but in the overall scheme of things, not much.

I would go the "cheater route" with that money.... lower your rear gear and a better LSD to get it all down to the ground more efficiently. This will yield nice gains in acceleration (versus speed and with the obvious gear lowering downsides like higher cruising revs and lower gas mileage; but that's part of the price ya pay.

There's a recent thread on here about a trans re-programming (Transgo I think it was). Didn't really read it but from my past exp with B&M and other A/T re-prog kits in domestic trannies (down, Trav), they're worthwhile from a shift speed and quality perspective. Suggest you find that thread and read that to see if that's an option for you.

But again, before all that, I'd pay more attention to (in this order):

1. Tires
2. ...and/or lightweight, strong wheels (like something forged or at least spun cast like Enkei RPF1s)
3. Suspension tuned around the above. Sway bars, shocks, alignment.

Suspension brings out the best of the Z.

Cosmetics like wings, spoilers, aero front ends of your choice are up to you.
Jeez, Mic. I love when you vomit Z info.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:43 PM
travlee
Master

Is that 2k you doing the work or no?. Just a fun fact, most tunes will cost you about $700, so there goes 1/3 of your budget