Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

$7k HR...Good deal? Only time will tell..

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 06:39 PM
Cptjax12

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default $7k HR...Good deal? Only time will tell..

Well here it is, I’m a little late posting to this forum as it’s not the first thing on my mind but here goes nothing. 2008hr CLEAN title, 6 speed with 76k miles.
I spent about a month and a half looking for a low mile HR with a 6 speed tranny, before I bought this one there was a midnight blue (or whatever the exact color that is) HR that I found with low miles (80k) and super clean. I was so close to pulling the trigger on it for 10.5k but the car ended up selling the day before I had the money. I searched for about 3 more weeks and stumbled upon this on EBay . The car was about a 15 minute drive from my house and the previous owner had posted it up around midnight, I messaged him and was there at 9am checking it out. It needed a few things but nothing major as far as I could see, agreed at $7k and drove away as fast as possible.

previous owner was fixated on buying his dads older corvette and seemed to not research the prices these are actually going for. Car came with Brembos on the front and aftermarket wheels that looked horrendous on the poor car. First day I had it I went with the stock wheels that were already painted black, did tranny/rear diff flush, oil change, spark plugs and resprayed the interior pieces (thanks to this site I was able to find an awesome post showing how to do it). So far the car has been awesome, I have a good friend who has had a handful of these and has made me aware of the Slave cylinder that goes bad, but besides that he said the car looked really solid and felt healthy.

So enough talking, here she is

Also, the headlights cleaned up nicely with some good ol toothepaste and some elbow grease lol

Last edited by Cptjax12; 02-14-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:44 PM
Cptjax12

And no the car isn’t perfect, there’s a pretty noticeable dent on the front of the hood. It also needs a valve cover gasket replaced, and I saw that it had a bad O-ring when I did the plugs. Besides that I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it isn’t all too good to be true

Last edited by Cptjax12; 02-14-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:27 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

What a steal
The following users liked this post:
Cptjax12 (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 02:23 AM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

seems like a solid buy. congrats
Cptjax12 (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 06:01 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Cptjax12
and I saw that it had a bad O-ring when I did the plugs. [/LEFT]
Clean spark tube, get 1 minute rtv(black or gray; it comes in an aerosol can an is about $12-18) and spread it between the tube/gasket with your finger(wear a glove), profit
Cptjax12 (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 08:24 AM
drozzy

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Those are not "stock wheels painted black". Buddy got his RaysV2 stolen or something, that's stock on a GT.
Edit: just noticed it's aftermarket Brembos and cloth seats, not a GT... nevermind, that's pretty good actually!!!!!!

Nice ride!

Last edited by drozzy; 02-14-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Cptjax12 (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 09:06 AM
Cptjax12

Originally Posted by jv350z
seems like a solid buy. congrats
Indeed, thanks!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:07 AM
Cptjax12

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Clean spark tube, get 1 minute rtv(black or gray; it comes in an aerosol can an is about $12-18) and spread it between the tube/gasket with your finger(wear a glove), profit
I’ll give it a shot thanks!!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:18 AM
Cptjax12

Originally Posted by drozzy
Those are not "stock wheels painted black". Buddy got his RaysV2 stolen or something, that's stock on a GT.
Edit: just noticed it's aftermarket Brembos and cloth seats, not a GT... nevermind, that's pretty good actually!!!!!!

Nice ride!
Lol yeah just an enthusiast model, and sorry for my lack of knowledge on which “stock wheels” I have. Still a newb in the Z world
Here are some pics of the wheels that came on the car, I’ve since sold them for $350. They weren’t in the best shape whatsoever. Overall I’d rate the wheels that came with the car about a 5/10 and tires were bald all around. Wheels were pretty scuffed up as you can see

I felt the color of the wheels just didn’t go well with the color of the car

Old 02-14-2018, 10:26 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Cptjax12
Lol yeah just an enthusiast model
You have a base model. Same as me. You can tell by the lack of steering wheel controls. Other things would be TCS and a VLSD.

Regardless, awesome pickup. As I mentioned on the other thread, you got a steal!

I wouldn't worry about the scratches inside, it's just part of owning a 350Z. You fix it, and a month later they will be back.

Congrats and best of luck!
Old 02-14-2018, 10:37 AM
drozzy

If the guy was pretty open about why he's selling it, and you think he was being honest... did he mention any autocrossing? I really don't know what would cause that much scuffing around the hub area on a "deep dish" wheel style like that, nevermind the curb rash... autox is the only thing I can think of (cones). Very good on you for getting something out of them!

If you were in Canada, this car would be worth ~$16,000 (CAD).
Old 02-14-2018, 10:59 AM
Cptjax12

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
You have a base model. Same as me. You can tell by the lack of steering wheel controls. Other things would be TCS and a VLSD.

Regardless, awesome pickup. As I mentioned on the other thread, you got a steal!

I wouldn't worry about the scratches inside, it's just part of owning a 350Z. You fix it, and a month later they will be back.

Congrats and best of luck!
See I don’t know what the hell im talking about, I’ll learn though haha. And yes I had an accord 6-6 coupe, was a fun car had all the bells and whistles as far as heated seats, steering wheel controls, Navi, etc. but I’m definitely enjoying the Z more.
Thanks again!
Old 02-14-2018, 11:01 AM
Cptjax12

If the guy was pretty open about why he's selling it, and you think he was being honest... did he mention any autocrossing? I really don't know what would cause that much scuffing around the hub area on a "deep dish" wheel style like that, nevermind the curb rash... autox is the only thing I can think of (cones). Very good on you for getting something out of them!

lol right, the rest of the bottom half of the car is clean side skirts and all so yeah I honestly don’t know how those deep dish wheels got so trashed haha. And yes the car is definitely worth a lot more than I got it for around here too, just got super super lucky.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:59 AM
SQuaLZ

I autocrossed many times and my wheels are fine.

My guess is just lack of maintenance leading to scuffed/pitted wheels.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:43 PM
drozzy

I autocrossed many times and my wheels are fine.

My guess is just lack of maintenance leading to scuffed/pitted wheels.
I've not maintained my wheels for years beyond residual water and soap from car washes and my wheels are fine.

Lack of washing and babying wheels doesn't cause damage to them AFAIK.

As in, scuffing and pitting happen when some object comes into contact with the wheel, and damage depends on the object's mass, velocity, angle and surface material to an extent.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:36 AM
SQuaLZ

I've not maintained my wheels for years beyond residual water and soap from car washes and my wheels are fine.

Lack of washing and babying wheels doesn't cause damage to them AFAIK.

As in, scuffing and pitting happen when some object comes into contact with the wheel, and damage depends on the object's mass, velocity, angle and surface material to an extent.
Unless the they autocross on a dirt track, I can't see a few cones doing that to wheels.

The only other thing I can think of, is years ago my dad tried to surprise me one day by cleaning my car, and the wheel cleaner he used took the finish right off the polished lip on my wheels. Literally destroyed, created massive pitting and black spots. Tried polishing and buffing and in the end had to strip and paint them. Maybe something like that happened.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:10 AM
drozzy

Unless the they autocross on a dirt track, I can't see a few cones doing that to wheels.

The only other thing I can think of, is years ago my dad tried to surprise me one day by cleaning my car, and the wheel cleaner he used took the finish right off the polished lip on my wheels. Literally destroyed, created massive pitting and black spots. Tried polishing and buffing and in the end had to strip and paint them. Maybe something like that happened.
Oh yeah, an incorrect cleaning product definitely is a possibility.

This is my guess, but I suppose we'll never know.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:19 PM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

As a disclaimer, I don't know the KBB value of the car.

That said, I would never pay more than 5k for a car that is 10 years old, likely driven hard, has a seat that needs recovering soon, and the other issues you announced. I love the Z, don't get me wrong, but anything over 5k for a used (driven hard) Z seems like too much to me.

That said, it looks like it is in good shape, good job ditching those wheels too. Good luck!
Old 02-18-2018, 04:55 PM
Cptjax12

Originally Posted by illjim69

That said, I would never pay more than 5k for a car that is 10 years old, likely driven hard, has a seat that needs recovering soon, and the other issues you announced. I love the Z, don't get me wrong, but anything over 5k for a used (driven hard) Z seems like too much to me.

That said, it looks like it is in good shape, good job ditching those wheels too. Good luck!
What you would pay vs what the car is actually worth and the demand for one is not a very good way to determine the price lol. KBB on the car is $9700 give or take. And how you are stating that it’s driven hard by staring at the pictures I’ve posted is beyond me lol. It has issues as you’ve stated it’s a 10 year old car but nothing that indicates it being “driven hard”.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:34 AM
SQuaLZ

Originally Posted by illjim69

Sorry Jim but have to disagree with you on this one.

I have plenty of friends that have purchased used cars that are less than 5 years old and the condition of my 10 year old Z blows away what they got. No way in hell my 10 year old Z is worth 5k

At the end of the day, it all depends on the previous owner.