New Owners Welcome to the Family!

1-2 shift troubles

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 09:01 AM
agentosage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1-2 shift troubles

Hey guys,

First time posting here. I got my Z about half a year ago and have been loving it since. However, this was my first time driving a manual car and I kind of had to just experiment and teach myself until I could drive it (R.I.P. clutch). So far everything has been great with this car, but one thing I've been wondering is why the shift from 1st to 2nd takes so long? For every other gear, I only need to hold the clutch at the friction point for like a fraction of a second, but for 1-2 it seems like it takes a whole second or two in order for the shift to be smooth, if I try and shift quickly from 1-2 then the car jerks violently. I don't really mind the extra time but it can make it a pain when I'm trying to take off quickly or turn onto a busy street.

Is this a common thing with the Z or am I doing something wrong? How do y'all manage to shift quickly and smoothly from 1-2?
Old 02-17-2018, 09:34 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by agentosage
Hey guys,

First time posting here. I got my Z about half a year ago and have been loving it since. However, this was my first time driving a manual car and I kind of had to just experiment and teach myself until I could drive it (R.I.P. clutch). So far everything has been great with this car, but one thing I've been wondering is why the shift from 1st to 2nd takes so long? For every other gear, I only need to hold the clutch at the friction point for like a fraction of a second, but for 1-2 it seems like it takes a whole second or two in order for the shift to be smooth, if I try and shift quickly from 1-2 then the car jerks violently. I don't really mind the extra time but it can make it a pain when I'm trying to take off quickly or turn onto a busy street.

Is this a common thing with the Z or am I doing something wrong? How do y'all manage to shift quickly and smoothly from 1-2?

What year car?

Early (03-04.5) were very prone to problematic shifting - particularly into 3rd (colloquially ref'd to as "third gear gronk") - but 2nd gear in those trannys "only" had double synchs in 2nd, remedied in '04.5 with a triple set on 2nd gear set.

Not really clear what you're ref'g to as "time it takes to engage", "jerking" (versus grinding) but let's start with the year of the car (or trans if known.)
Old 02-17-2018, 09:40 AM
agentosage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a 2004, what I mean by that is that for the other gears I can take my foot off the clutch fairly quickly and get a smooth shift, however, for 1-2 I have to hold it in for a bit longer in order to get a smooth shift. What I mean by jerking is that there is no actual grinding, but if I try and take my foot off the clutch quickly like I can with the other gears, then the car seems to slow down for a bit and then the whole car jerks forward. My 2nd to 3rd gear shifts are fine, no problems with that it's only the 1st to 2nd shift that is giving me trouble, and I'm confused as to whether this is a "me" problem due to lack of skill and experience or if it's a car problem.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:55 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by agentosage
It's a 2004, what I mean by that is that for the other gears I can take my foot off the clutch fairly quickly and get a smooth shift, however, for 1-2 I have to hold it in for a bit longer in order to get a smooth shift. What I mean by jerking is that there is no actual grinding, but if I try and take my foot off the clutch quickly like I can with the other gears, then the car seems to slow down for a bit and then the whole car jerks forward. My 2nd to 3rd gear shifts are fine, no problems with that it's only the 1st to 2nd shift that is giving me trouble, and I'm confused as to whether this is a "me" problem due to lack of skill and experience or if it's a car problem.
I would GUESS it's a transmission thing. Not necessarily something to worry about but just be careful. I've lived with the third gear gronk for 6 years and no signs it's going to get worse necessarily. You might want to try - now that you've learned to drive manual - a little double step between 1-2, that is, when passing neutral, pause, give it a little gas goose to bring revs up - then slide it into 2nd. Sounds more difficult than it actually is. Bringing the revs up a tad will aid the synchros in a smoother transition (matched gear speeds).
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (02-17-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 01:56 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I've owned my '04 for five and a half years now and ever since I've had the car its always been notchy between first and second. more so if you try and force it. Its especially stiff when started first thing in the morning or when there has been a frost it's quite tight for the first few miles. Its been like this since I've owned the car and has never got any worse, or better after an oil change. It definitely doesn't jerk violently though, its just not as smooth as some boxes on other cars I've driven