MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   North Central (https://my350z.com/forum/north-central-30/)
-   -   Moving to Cincinnati OH (https://my350z.com/forum/north-central/513590-moving-to-cincinnati-oh.html)

BornSlippyZ 02-04-2011 02:40 PM

Moving to Cincinnati OH

I am moving to Cincinnati probably in late Summer, because of my wife's job. We where hoping to move overseas to Geneva, Switzerland, but that deal fell through :(. But I am really looking forward to moving out of CA for awhile and to having a little more cash in my bank account for my kids college, vacationing, and car stuff. Also the change would be good for my family and I.

I have a few questions for the Cincy guys that are living there.

1. Outside of Hyde Park and Indian Hill, what other parts of Cincy offer nice/decent neighborhoods, or new home neighborhoods? Also how are the public schools in these neighborhoods?

2. What builders of new home construction would you recommend?

3. Is a 4x4 suv a must for the winter months?

4. Can I FI my Z legally in OH? Or what are the emission regulations?

5. Can I actually own firearms in OH? (unlike CA rules :mad:)

I know some of the questions are kinda silly, but I have never lived in the Midwest and I just wanted to know if you Cincy guys can help me out. Also I cannot wait to meet you guys at car meets. I will probably have more questions later, but that is all I can come up with now. Thanks for the help.:)

ocdz 02-04-2011 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ (Post 8942033)
I am moving to Cincinnati probably in late Summer, because of my wife's job. We where hoping to move overseas to Geneva, Switzerland, but that deal fell through :(. But I am really looking forward to moving out of CA for awhile and to having a little more cash in my bank account for my kids college, vacationing, and car stuff. Also the change would be good for my family and I.

I have a few questions for the Cincy guys that are living there.

1. Outside of Hyde Park and Indian Hill, what other parts of Cincy offer nice/decent neighborhoods, or new home neighborhoods? Also how are the public schools in these neighborhoods?

5. Can I actually own firearms in OH? (unlike CA rules :mad:)

I know some of the questions are kinda silly, but I have never lived in the Midwest and I just wanted to know if you Cincy guys can help me out. Also I cannot wait to meet you guys at car meets. I will probably have more questions later, but that is all I can come up with now. Thanks for the help.:)

I live North of Cincy so I can't comment on the neighborhoods or home builders but I can answer the other questions.

3. No. Any car is fine during the winter if you are a capable driver. Especially cincy, because they see much less of the bad weather than northern ohio does.

4. Yes and no. In most counties there are no emissions checks so anything goes. There are a few that docheck emissions, it depends which county you live in. (some dayton area counties have regulations although they are still nowhere near that of CARB)

5. Yes. Again, pretty much anything goes here pending what municipality you are in. This includes "high capacity magazines", and concealed carry of a handgun which is pretty easily obtained. Some city limits (Columbus, maybe others?) do not allow residents to have loaded assault rifles. You can still own them, and have ammunition, but dont put the two together:dunno:

BornSlippyZ 02-04-2011 04:00 PM

^Thanks man!

BornSlippyZ 02-06-2011 03:43 PM

I have been looking around on Zillow/other home sites and wow Cincy has some expensive homes near downtown ($500K- $1million). Our budget on a home will be $300K-$350K, I will consider going a little over for the perfect house. So far, we cannot decide on an older Victorian home near the city or live on the outskirts of town, in a newer home. Importantly, I would love to have a basement so I could build a proper Home Theater.

Brrcats 02-07-2011 08:51 AM

Are you looking for nice places "in-city", meaning not in the suburbs? Kenwood is also a decent area, very near hyde park and indian hills. The thing with cincy is that you'll have really good neighborhoods next to really bad ones. I never had any problems in Kenwood leaving my Z outside, although it took about one day in Silverton for the alarm to go off in the middle of the night.

There are no emissions checks in cincy, you'll be fine with FI, and yes you can have guns. Most of my car buds in cincy actually have small arsenals, lol.

BornSlippyZ 02-07-2011 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Brrcats (Post 8946368)
Are you looking for nice places "in-city", meaning not in the suburbs? Kenwood is also a decent area, very near hyde park and indian hills. The thing with cincy is that you'll have really good neighborhoods next to really bad ones. I never had any problems in Kenwood leaving my Z outside, although it took about one day in Silverton for the alarm to go off in the middle of the night.

There are no emissions checks in cincy, you'll be fine with FI, and yes you can have guns. Most of my car buds in cincy actually have small arsenals, lol.

Hey thanks for the info! We are actually looking at both in-city and in 'burbs. But I think the wife wants to be closer to work, but I like some of the newer homes. I will check out Kenwood and see what homes are for sale.:thumbup:

brandon3434 02-07-2011 09:31 AM

Seems like you got your questions answered...but PM me when you move, and I let you know about local meets/events/autox's we do...Great to have another z owner in Cincy!:thumbup:

BornSlippyZ 02-07-2011 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by brandon3434 (Post 8946473)
Seems like you got your questions answered...but PM me when you move, and I let you know about local meets/events/autox's we do...Great to have another z owner in Cincy!:thumbup:

Cool and thanks!

I am hoping to have a little cash to mess around with the Z and go to some events! BTW you Nismo is very nice looking!

gotjuice_00 02-07-2011 09:56 AM

west chester is about 25 min from downtown cincy, nice neighborhood, new home, good school district. You can pretty much do watever you want to your car as far as mod. Lowered car w/rims are a pain bc millions of pot holes on the road( big one too) . No emission check at all. SUV optional, fwd would be ideal for winter. You can take a conseal weapon class to carry firearm in public place.

MI 35th 02-07-2011 10:09 AM

Cincinnati Low Down. Been Here 25 years.

have a few questions for the Cincy guys that are living there.

Anderson (Where I live), Great Schools, Cheap Living, Close to city 15 minutes, Low Crime, Conservative people.

Mt. Lookout (Almost Hyde Park) Not hyde park prices, in the city limits. Lived here for 3 years. Schools Suck GO PRIVATE

Hyde Park South Side, where I would live if $$ was no option. Beautiful architecture and great place to just walk around. Schools Suck GO PRIVATE

Buy used today and save a bunch of $$. Lots of for-closures in our area.

No, but it does help. I drove my Z year round for 2 years. Snow tires on a Z are a must though.

Yes. Simple, Only 45 minutes N of Injected Performance.

5. Can I actually own firearms in OH? (unlike CA rules )

I am the resident Gun Nut for our local area. I have everything from AR15, to Mac 11 SMG, to and beyond. Guns are cheap and readily Available.

Anything else man PM and Ill hook you up with my cell.

EDIT:
Im guessing by destinations you were talking about your wife works for P&G. They take care of their Cincy residents extremely well. Cheaper cell phone plans, downtown parking, events, all types of fun stuff.

First things is first to move here means you become a person who is conflicted about sports teams, Tell Mike Brown to fv7k himself, Want to kick Marvin Lewis in the balls, hate the fact they are turning the best public works project into section 8 housing and a few other issues. Love opening day but even when the red are in the playoffs you wont goto the game because we've been let down so many times. Instantly Hate, Pittsburg, Cleveland, Louisville Fans and people in general... Make the distinction the CVG is CINCINNTI's airport we just ran out of room and annexed it into KY. Newport is part of the greater Cincy area and is technically what we call ohio. You will travel 5 minutes south to buy cheaper booze and guns all while talking **** about hillbillies. I think thats about it.

BornSlippyZ 02-07-2011 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by gotjuice_00 (Post 8946550)
west chester is about 25 min from downtown cincy, nice neighborhood, new home, good school district. You can pretty much do watever you want to your car as far as mod. Lowered car w/rims are a pain bc millions of pot holes on the road( big one too) . No emission check at all. SUV optional, fwd would be ideal for winter. You can take a conseal weapon class to carry firearm in public place.

Yeah I like West Chester, very nice homes and like the layout of the neighborhood! My Z is lowered but no rims, I have the stock 17's with 50 series Yokohama Sdrives, so I think I can take some abuse from the roads. My wife will be mainly driving the Scion Tc to work, but we will buy an Suv for towing stuff/ towing family (I has two kids). I am very happy about the emission standards in OH, 10 gazillion times better than CA!

mattgstanley 02-09-2011 02:50 PM

Cincinnati

Hi there! If you need any help with real estate in Cincinnati, do not hestitate to reach out to us! We have lots of experience with new home construction and can be your eyes and ears on the ground here in Cincinnati. If you are willing to do a little work, I have an awesome deal in Mt. Lookout. It is not listed but it is a foreclosure type property. Please let me know if you need anything.

Matt Stanley
mstanley@teamstanley1.com
www.TeamSTANLEY1.com
513-226-3938

BornSlippyZ 02-09-2011 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by MI 35th (Post 8946586)
Cincinnati Low Down. Been Here 25 years.

have a few questions for the Cincy guys that are living there.

Anderson (Where I live), Great Schools, Cheap Living, Close to city 15 minutes, Low Crime, Conservative people.

Mt. Lookout (Almost Hyde Park) Not hyde park prices, in the city limits. Lived here for 3 years. Schools Suck GO PRIVATE

Hyde Park South Side, where I would live if $$ was no option. Beautiful architecture and great place to just walk around. Schools Suck GO PRIVATE

Buy used today and save a bunch of $$. Lots of for-closures in our area.

No, but it does help. I drove my Z year round for 2 years. Snow tires on a Z are a must though.

Yes. Simple, Only 45 minutes N of Injected Performance.

5. Can I actually own firearms in OH? (unlike CA rules )

I am the resident Gun Nut for our local area. I have everything from AR15, to Mac 11 SMG, to and beyond. Guns are cheap and readily Available.

Anything else man PM and Ill hook you up with my cell.

EDIT:
Im guessing by destinations you were talking about your wife works for P&G. They take care of their Cincy residents extremely well. Cheaper cell phone plans, downtown parking, events, all types of fun stuff.

First things is first to move here means you become a person who is conflicted about sports teams, Tell Mike Brown to fv7k himself, Want to kick Marvin Lewis in the balls, hate the fact they are turning the best public works project into section 8 housing and a few other issues. Love opening day but even when the red are in the playoffs you wont goto the game because we've been let down so many times. Instantly Hate, Pittsburg, Cleveland, Louisville Fans and people in general... Make the distinction the CVG is CINCINNTI's airport we just ran out of room and annexed it into KY. Newport is part of the greater Cincy area and is technically what we call ohio. You will travel 5 minutes south to buy cheaper booze and guns all while talking **** about hillbillies. I think thats about it.

Lol! Your are correct sir! My wife works for P&G and this is the next step in her career. I am actually getting excited/pumped to move to Cincy! Cheaper housing, Guns, Cheap booze and I can mod my Z the way I like! I will check out Anderson and the homes in that area. Thanks for telling me about the public schools near the Hyde Park/Mt Lookout area and all the other info!:D

BornSlippyZ 02-09-2011 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by mattgstanley (Post 8952679)
Hi there! If you need any help with real estate in Cincinnati, do not hestitate to reach out to us! We have lots of experience with new home construction and can be your eyes and ears on the ground here in Cincinnati. If you are willing to do a little work, I have an awesome deal in Mt. Lookout. It is not listed but it is a foreclosure type property. Please let me know if you need anything.

Matt Stanley
mstanley@teamstanley1.com
www.TeamSTANLEY1.com
513-226-3938

Thanks for your info sir! I know when it gets close for us to sell our CA home and buy our Cincy home, I will keep you in mind.:)

BornSlippyZ 02-09-2011 04:18 PM

Sweet! Injected is near by! Well when I could actually afford to FI my Z, I will probably do it myself.

I like Anderson too! Lots of nice homes for sale!

gotjuice_00 02-09-2011 07:04 PM

overall you cant go wrong with most of the area named above. Anderson is a little east of cincy and kinda far from everything other than downtown. Mason and Deerfield is kinda highend neighborhood but great area also. P&G main plant or one of the surrounding arear offices? I know they have office in west chester and Mason for sure.

BornSlippyZ 02-10-2011 06:37 AM

^More than likely, she will be in the main office in downtown. But I will also check out Mason too. Thanks for the info!

MI 35th 02-10-2011 11:25 AM

There is a bus that goes from anderson to P&G every morning and home at night. Its kinda nice to keep the miles off the car.

We are a very pro proctor city, hell between them, Kroger, and AFG, they are the CINCY.

I know most of their pilots they fly out of LUK 4 min away from Anderson.

We are what you would call a refined redneck, conservative from on-lookers, but behind closed doors we drink, smoke, race, fight, shoot, fv3k along with the best of em.

BornSlippyZ 02-10-2011 02:38 PM

^Lol! I like the sound of that! I found a home in Anderson that had everything we wanted, Chef kitchen, Big basement, big rooms and a nice drive way up to the house, all for the asking price of $329K! I about fell off my couch!
I could go on a rant about CA, but most of the forum members know all the sh!t that is going on here in CA. I will miss the beaches, nice weather and car shows, but I will not miss the 'Sun Tax', traffic, rude people, cost of living, corrupt politics in Sac/LA, CARB etc.

MI 35th 02-10-2011 02:59 PM

Yah, I make regular trips to So Cal & Miami during the winter mos. Heading to Daytona for Bike Week and ZdayZ shortly after... We are the midwest, I roll my single turbo Z with a 3" Dump off the turbo without cop issues.