MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   North West (https://my350z.com/forum/north-west-28/)
-   -   Windshield Replacement - Seattle/Bellevue (https://my350z.com/forum/north-west/594231-windshield-replacement-seattle-bellevue.html)

07ZEKE 05-24-2014 09:11 AM

Windshield Replacement - Seattle/Bellevue

Does anyone know a very good place to get my windshield replaced
in the Seattle/Bellevue area ? I want OEM glass and it must be put in
by someone who knows what they are doing . The dude at Allstate
tried to push me off to Safelite and their knock off glass , that's not
going to happen....

Thanks 07ZEKE

08andawesome 05-24-2014 10:53 AM

Your going to have to go through the dealer and it's going to be expensive. Almost every glass company uses either PGW or pilkington but they will tell you all day that it's OEM. This is what I do for a living so trust me on this one

dcains 05-24-2014 12:41 PM

In the case of collision parts and insurance claims, at least here in FL, the consumer has the right to refuse non-OEM parts. I wonder if it's the same where you are. I agree that I would only want OEM glass, installed as original, and that means going to a dealer with a good shop.

KornerCarver 05-24-2014 01:17 PM

In my experience, Safelight does an excellent job replacing glass. I really doubt there is any difference between OEM glass and that used by Safelight.

pyshin 05-24-2014 01:20 PM

+1 There's nothing wrong with Safelite... Unless you literally get your insurance to pay OEM and install through a reputable dealer.

dcains 05-24-2014 01:23 PM

I disagree. I had a Safelite windshield in a 5-series BMW, and it was crap. It had an area of distortion right in my line of sight that drove me crazy. I ended up paying out of pocket to have it fixed correctly at a dealer.

pyshin 05-24-2014 01:39 PM

^^^. Damn. I only have one personal experience with a former Silverado I owned but my family has been using them for years with all of our vehicles (including minor cracks/imperfection repair) and havn't had any issues

dcains 05-24-2014 01:43 PM

Well, only one experience out of probably many, many thousands, but what pissed me off was that they denied the problem and just blew me off, rather than fix it. It was really obvious, too.

pyshin 05-24-2014 01:47 PM

^^^ I hate how standard of service can be so drastically different based on the location of the branches..

dcains 05-24-2014 03:15 PM

Yeah - I've been spoiled by companies like Amazon and Apple, and expect great service everywhere.

Waiz 05-24-2014 04:17 PM

Moved to the correct subforum and retitled your thread for more relevance

08andawesome 05-25-2014 08:39 AM

Seriously guys I have seen the difference in safelite glass and oem. Safelite makes their own glass and it really sucks ass. Like I said before I replace auto glass for a living, not just a know it all customer. Trust me. If my windshield breaks sure I could get a PGW windshield for like 50 bucks but I will bite the bullet and go pay 300 or more for an oem one. There are slight variations that you might not notice but a trained professional like myself wouldn't be able to live with. No matter what stay away from safelite. I've replaced countless windshields that safelite had done before and their workmanship is ****. I take pride in my work and treat every car like it's my own. I can't believe some of the **** I have seen that safelite did. They give their techs 10 or more jobs a day and you don't get to go home until they are complete therefore they are in a hurry. Also a z windshield is no easy task. It's actually one of the bigger pain in the ass replacements out there and if you are in a hurry things are going to get broken and leak. Again trust me!

dcains 05-25-2014 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by 08andawesome (Post 10395997)
Also a z windshield is no easy task. It's actually one of the bigger pain in the ass replacements out there and if you are in a hurry things are going to get broken and leak. Again trust me!

I'd actually forgotten about it until just now, but I know a Z owner here who took his car to Safelite and they broke the A-pillars during a windshield job.

08andawesome 05-25-2014 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by dcains (Post 10396074)
I'd actually forgotten about it until just now, but I know a Z owner here who took his car to Safelite and they broke the A-pillars during a windshield job.

My point exactly