Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Mercedes Driving event incident

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Jabdo233

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saberphx
bahahahaha
That reminds me...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGrqW3nx5HM
LMAO
I really don't know what to say. I am appalled and deeply offended that you posted that.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:13 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this would have made a good case study for me, when i was working on my masters in intercultural relations policy

i would offer my opinon on this matter but it would probably turn out like a novel...but...in very short...my humble opinion based on my degree and research:

1. he was rude for saying that, for sure...and it can certainly be cateogorized in some way as racist...though i prefer to call it profiling. racist would more or less be something that pretty much has to do wtih your race, and only your race, but the comments he made was based on a wider profile. meaning, your age, appearance, car drove etc etc...in other words, if you were asian, but 65 years old, wore an a brioni suit and came in with a strech limo and driver, he probably would not have made the drifting comment to you but regardless, it was rude of him and you have every right to be offended.

2. however, what i have found is that the reason why racism/profiling never ceases to be an issue is becuase it perpetuates counter raciscm/profiling. case in point, beucase of this post, quite a few people will now have a negative profile of perhaps older, white, males who work in some relations to mercedes, degrees of profiling will vary, some specific to perhaps track managers, but it also causes some to pretty much profile against, say...older white dudes...and IMO this counter profiling that results is no better than the original profiling that happened and it just perpetuates the cycle.

so my suggestions, he was rude, but be the better man and let it slide of your back...rudeness and offensive people are everywhere, but if we return their rudeness with our own...waht does that make us? hell i moved from mainland china to a town that was 99 percent white and guys flew confederate flags on their trucks...cali people have it easy when it comes to racism against asians..trust me hehe

yes guys, that was the short version lol, my masters thesis was 85 pages focused on many of these same issues
Old 08-08-2007, 06:54 AM
Navygolf13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
this would have made a good case study for me, when i was working on my masters in intercultural relations policy

i would offer my opinon on this matter but it would probably turn out like a novel...but...in very short...my humble opinion based on my degree and research:

1. he was rude for saying that, for sure...and it can certainly be cateogorized in some way as racist...though i prefer to call it profiling. racist would more or less be something that pretty much has to do wtih your race, and only your race, but the comments he made was based on a wider profile. meaning, your age, appearance, car drove etc etc...in other words, if you were asian, but 65 years old, wore an a brioni suit and came in with a strech limo and driver, he probably would not have made the drifting comment to you but regardless, it was rude of him and you have every right to be offended.

2. however, what i have found is that the reason why racism/profiling never ceases to be an issue is becuase it perpetuates counter raciscm/profiling. case in point, beucase of this post, quite a few people will now have a negative profile of perhaps older, white, males who work in some relations to mercedes, degrees of profiling will vary, some specific to perhaps track managers, but it also causes some to pretty much profile against, say...older white dudes...and IMO this counter profiling that results is no better than the original profiling that happened and it just perpetuates the cycle.

so my suggestions, he was rude, but be the better man and let it slide of your back...rudeness and offensive people are everywhere, but if we return their rudeness with our own...waht does that make us? hell i moved from mainland china to a town that was 99 percent white and guys flew confederate flags on their trucks...cali people have it easy when it comes to racism against asians..trust me hehe

yes guys, that was the short version lol, my masters thesis was 85 pages focused on many of these same issues

Very well put! I love it when someone with more education can sum up what I was trying to get across with my rudimentary English! LOL! I agree with what you said, I wonder what Vaughn thinks now?
Old 08-08-2007, 07:51 AM
ColecatZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chriskabobbers
that was pretty effed up vince, but hmm .. besides the drift comment, I don't understand what he meant about driving the last out of the four, or even falling behind? if he intended you were going to go crazy with it, wouldn't he think you would be ahead of everyone?

The falling back comment (I assume) is in regards to events where a lead car or pace car is out would be my guess..... when I was involved with the Twin Turbo Z's of Dallas we did charity events here in Tx where , for a 5 dollar donation, we were allowed to take our personal, street driven cars out on Texas Motor Speedway for 3 rounds. In order to keep people somewhat safe and from driving beyond their or the cars limits they put a pace car out on the track at 90Mph and the one rule. If you pass the pace car you are kicked out and banned. Occasionaly, you would see a pack of cars bunched behind the pace car and then a few of us slower more "cautious" drivers that had lagged back having to lean on it a bit more to "catch up". 130 is a lot more fun than 90.

Atleast that was my first thought as to why he would assume spirited driving from the rear car.... you can hold up and let traffic clear. Doesn't realy justify the stereotyping either way though.