MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Northern California (https://my350z.com/forum/northern-california-26/)
-   -   Popcharger CARB EO sticker (https://my350z.com/forum/northern-california/524978-popcharger-carb-eo-sticker.html)

Wired 24/7 05-31-2011 02:01 PM

Popcharger CARB EO sticker

This is bullsh1t - some guy just tried to fail me on my smog check for having a popcharger, since the sticker with the CARB EO number had long ago fallen off.

:icon14: :icon22:

California guys - make sure that goddamn sticker is on there for your smog check.

I had to call JWT to get the EO number, then the guy "let it slide" - he says he was technically supposed to fail me.

datsunHEAD 05-31-2011 02:06 PM

funny he let you "slide"but it has a carb number lol, strick up north,down here they let you slide with intake headers and exhaust no questions asked lol

Wired 24/7 05-31-2011 02:10 PM

Yeah the guy was an ass. He said "it's not me failing you, it's the computer that fails you, because I have to put the CARB number in right here" ...

Bull sh1t dude, so why do you still give me sh1t when I give you the EO number...

This is the sh1t I hate about California

Jermy 05-31-2011 03:25 PM

california sucks. plain and simple lol. at least you got it smogged, it just sucks 90% of smog guys are ****in tools

phreaktor 05-31-2011 03:45 PM

Can you guys even have turbos there?

dikspiel 05-31-2011 03:57 PM

You can if you have a hookup for smog. If you get pulled over and get a ref ticket you pretty much are screwed. My plan is if i get a ref ticket is to pay the ticket and then register the car out of state.

datsunHEAD 05-31-2011 04:30 PM

register out of state is the best thing,grandparents live in GA so woot woot but im cali legal so theres no need to register,nice to have the option tho,and you can have factory turbo cars,honestly I think the only turbo kit thats CA smog legal is a edelbrock kit for a 96 civic ex I think.

Jermy 05-31-2011 04:39 PM

my grandparents live in smog exempt areas of nevada, im safe if i ever go F/I. im legal as of now though. But other than a vortech SC we're effed lol

BornSlippyZ 05-31-2011 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by phreaktor (Post 9176226)
Can you guys even have turbos there?

Only on OEM turbo cars...one reason why I cannot wait to leave this state. :icon22:

ITOzann 05-31-2011 05:03 PM

get used to it.. LOL even with carb#'s the tech's are too scared to do it now a days. STUPID CA LAWS!

datsunHEAD 05-31-2011 07:01 PM

I had a smog hook up few years back in san jose,then they both got busted with all these swapped hondas and sr 240sx everywhere it raised a few eyebrows then they started doing stings to crack down on it.

ntrinsik 05-31-2011 08:16 PM

I remember a few years ago on my previous car.. the smog technician called whoever and found that the CARB EO# on my header wasn't for my car.. so he failed me. Had to get the correct number from the manufacturer before I could get it to pass. Was such ********.

christoc 05-31-2011 08:20 PM

According to the law you were illegal, so why is it the tech's fault?

TheFarmer 06-01-2011 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by christoc (Post 9176798)

^This. He's just doing his job. If it was infact illegal, he can be fined or even lose his job.

Neimad 06-01-2011 01:27 PM

Tech is supposed to attempt to verify part EO#without sticker via internet, ARB web/phone. If he failed the car customer could find EO# and complain to state resulting in refund. I won't even test illegally modified cars. Most of the time customer bought it like that, sent girlfriend/mother/clueless person and it takes too long explaining why it's now TAMPERED and they get all butthurt. So I check internet and pass if I can or tell them to either find that guy in San Jose or come back stock.

OMERTAITALIA 06-01-2011 04:05 PM

el dorado county= no smog

Wired 24/7 06-01-2011 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by christoc (Post 9176798)

Uh I hope this comment is not directed at me. Best be trollin' bro.

The law is that if the part is exempted, then it's legal.

Illegal would be scamming me out of the fee for a smog check when there is nothing on the car that should cause it to fail.

Originally Posted by Carb
Aftermarket Parts Database of Executive Orders

Exempted parts are add-on or modified parts that have undergone an ARB engineering evaluation. If the part or modification is shown to not increase vehicle emissions, it is granted an exemption to emission control system anti-tampering laws. This exemption is called an Executive Order (EO) and allows the modification to be installed on specific emission controlled vehicles. Every Executive Order part or modification has an assigned number that can be verified by Smog Check stations, BAR Referee stations, or by the ARB.

The number "can be verified" if necessary, but nowhere does the law say that you need a sticker to be legal. Legal parts are legal with or without sticker. In this country you are innocent until proven guilty.

christoc 06-02-2011 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7 (Post 9178925)
Uh I hope this comment is not directed at me. Best be trollin' bro.

The law is that if the part is exempted, then it's legal.

Illegal would be scamming me out of the fee for a smog check when there is nothing on the car that should cause it to fail.

The number "can be verified" if necessary, but nowhere does the law say that you need a sticker to be legal. Legal parts are legal with or without sticker. In this country you are innocent until proven guilty.

My understanding (learn me if I'm wrong) was that the sticker proved the legality, without the sticker how does the guy verify that the part you say you have, is what it is?

Now, calling me a troll? That's real grown up there kid.

PikesPeakZ 06-02-2011 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by christoc (Post 9179158)
My understanding (learn me if I'm wrong) was that the sticker proved the legality, without the sticker how does the guy verify that the part you say you have, is what it is?

It is listed on the CARB website and the tech is supposed to verify it if there is no sticker by taking his lazy ass online through their tool they have direct access. Lazy douchebag tech is what it sounds like.

AT OP I can one up you. I have HKS Hi power exhaust and the smog guy thought I removed cats that are supposed to be in the rear of the car because he saw the resonators on the HKS exhaust. I told him the 2 cats are both up front and he proceeded to argue with me until the point where I told him not to touch my car anymore and get the owner of the shop. I then told him to call Nissan and have the Service Manager tell him what the cats are supposed to look like and confirm there are no rear cats missing. They don't know **** and they are lazy and just use the oh my job as an excuse.

Jermy 06-02-2011 09:38 AM

How the hell was he illegal. He has a carb exempt part. If you tell that to a smog person, without having a stamp, they need to do their damn job and check it. Luckily the people i went to looked up the carb number for my headers and saw the carb sticker for the popcharger and didnt hastle with it

Spider Monkey 06-02-2011 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by OMERTAITALIA (Post 9178360)
el dorado county= no smog

wait wat?

Neimad 06-02-2011 10:05 AM

No smog required except for change of ownership and even then no dyno test.

Jermy- You have DC Sports headers? I can't find anything else legal on the ARB site.

Spider Monkey 06-02-2011 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Neimad (Post 9179510)

i don't know of anywhere that makes you do a dyno.

But I also thought that the smog test every two years once your car is 7 years old thing was a state wide deal.

Spider Monkey 06-02-2011 10:11 AM

Wait, it is. How is that one county dismissed?

Jermy 06-02-2011 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Neimad (Post 9179510)

Jermy- You have DC Sports headers? I can't find anything else legal on the ARB site.

yeah i have DC Headers, i dont get what you mean you cant find anything else legal?

Neimad 06-02-2011 10:20 AM

Spider- I meant the smog dyno test. Counties with clean air aren't required to go through all the BS the cities do.

Jermy- Nothing else has an EO#. It's getting harder to resist buying the DC's but at first I was worried with the price they might be too cheap for the pain of an all day install.

Jermy 06-02-2011 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Neimad (Post 9179551)
Spider- I meant the smog dyno test. Counties with clean air aren't required to go through all the BS the cities do.

Jermy- Nothing else has an EO#. It's getting harder to resist buying the DC's but at first I was worried with the price they might be too cheap for the pain of an all day install.

ah i see. Install wasnt really that bad, took maybe 3-4 hours. And i thought that the stillen headers were carb legal seeing as how nissan dealerships support and sell stillen?

Wired 24/7 06-10-2011 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by christoc (Post 9179158)

In legal matters, there is no need to prove innocence, ever (learn me if I am wrong). You stated that my car was illegal - the burden of proof is on the accuser. Why would anyone accuse me of having illegal parts when my car is giving off emissions far below the average in my area?

There is only one reason the tech has to threaten to fail me - because I was forced to sign a form that said I would pay their shop regardless of whether I passed or failed. Thus, if he fails me, he gets paid anyway. Plus, he is thinking I might even be dumb enough to pay the tech or one of his friends to "fix" my car until he deemed that it was in compliance, at which point I would have to pay for a second smog check. Keep in mind this is a $50 out the door fee for a 10 minute test. You weren't there - these guys were poised to take advantage of someone who didn't know the law - namely, people who purchase a used car and don't know what mods are on it. He was ready to fail me as soon as I came in with aftermarket rims.

I stated "best be trollin" which doesn't mean you *are* a troll, it means I *hope* you are joking, because if you aren't, then you are badly misinformed.

I don't care to get in an argument with you, or anyone. Not trying to start an e-fight :thumbup: I only posted this because there are a lot of people in my boat, they have had their Z's for 6 years and will be having their first smog check soon.

So, yeah, I could have made my life easier with a sticker. I did, in fact, have a sticker on there originally. It came off. Not my fault. JWT's fault. I just got another one from JWT. But at no point was my car illegal.

Neimad 06-10-2011 02:35 PM

It's at the techs discretion. If he fails you and you contest it, and the referee passes you they would only be obliged to give you your money back. There would be no citation given to the technician. That is how it was stated to me by a Program Representative Level 2 of the BAR.

Inspection manual actually reads:
Aftermarket Parts Label: CARB approved or exempted parts are subject to CARB aftermarket parts labeling requirements. These requirements specify that Aftermarket Parts Labels (APL) must be affixed or stamped on approved/exempted parts or, if not practical, installed near the approved/exempted parts. The labels are required to contain an Executive Order (EO) number that can be used to verify CARB approval or exemption. Note: A missing or illegible APL does not constitute an inspection failure. In cases where the label is missing or illegible, the technician may proceed with the inspection, provided the parts can be confirmed as CARB approved or exempted by comparing the part number marked on the part with the CARB EO parts listings or the parts manufacturer catalog.

I have the Jim Wolf too, I don't see a visible part number within the constraints of the vehicle inspection guidelines that I can match up. But I wouldn't fail it.

I'll make a thread too but I'll test anyones car for $28 total. I can't pass illegal parts/mods but I will pass the legal parts with or without a sticker. I can pretest if you want for no extra charge. I'd rather not see anyone else go through this crap.

22175 Center St
Castro Valley 94546
510 247 1800

Damien

Wired 24/7 06-10-2011 05:35 PM

Dude, you're awesome... thanks for the info. Wish I went to you for the smog check instead of blowing $50.

Originally Posted by Neimad (Post 9195914)
It's at the techs discretion. If he fails you and you contest it, and the referee passes you they would only be obliged to give you your money back. There would be no citation given to the technician. That is how it was stated to me by a Program Representative Level 2 of the BAR.

Inspection manual actually reads:
Aftermarket Parts Label: CARB approved or exempted parts are subject to CARB aftermarket parts labeling requirements. These requirements specify that Aftermarket Parts Labels (APL) must be affixed or stamped on approved/exempted parts or, if not practical, installed near the approved/exempted parts. The labels are required to contain an Executive Order (EO) number that can be used to verify CARB approval or exemption. Note: A missing or illegible APL does not constitute an inspection failure. In cases where the label is missing or illegible, the technician may proceed with the inspection, provided the parts can be confirmed as CARB approved or exempted by comparing the part number marked on the part with the CARB EO parts listings or the parts manufacturer catalog.

I have the Jim Wolf too, I don't see a visible part number within the constraints of the vehicle inspection guidelines that I can match up. But I wouldn't fail it.

I'll make a thread too but I'll test anyones car for $28 total. I can't pass illegal parts/mods but I will pass the legal parts with or without a sticker. I can pretest if you want for no extra charge. I'd rather not see anyone else go through this crap.

22175 Center St
Castro Valley 94546
510 247 1800

Damien

mgl 06-11-2011 10:56 AM

i too ran into this issue a few years ago.
popcharger and crawford plenum.

the carb sticker was literally 2 inches from the popcharger. the tech didnt see it and got his mechanic buddy and was asking him what he should do.
luckily i was standing a few feet away and asked him if there was a problem.
he said the intake is illegal. i told him its not and pointed at the carb sticker.
his mechanic buddy yelled at him (i assume, they weren't speaking english).
he was about to point out the plenum too but i think he was too embarrassed and just passed me.

i bet they are even stricter now.

solidfish 06-12-2011 10:09 PM

How funny that I just ran into this issue two days ago with my SMOG check. This was the first time I did a smog with an aftermarket intake in California. Had no idea they check that.

For me the Executive Order number didnt have to displayed on the intake. They just need the number. You cant lie though as they actually look it up on dmv online.

I have an Injen intake and fortunately, Injen posts their EO numbers on their website. When I gave them the number they looked it up on dmv, then confrimed the EO number matched my intake model number and car model/year, then noted it on my SMOG certificate. Pretty strict but everything worked out smoothly.