Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

semi-close call today

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 06:06 PM
longbowe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default semi-close call today

I didn't get onto 280NB from downtown SJ until aroudn 5:45 or so today. As I was driving along, mostly in 1st or 2nd gear (traffic was that bad, I finally found a lane that was moving. It was the number one lane. The number two lane wasn't moving at all.

As I was cruising along, anticipating being able to get into 3rd gear (~25mph) at last, a taxicab comes bounding out from a stop in the number two lane. He's not going very fast, so I scoot over to the left a little to get around him.

Except he keeps coming. I kept scooting to the left. By the time he realizes what happened, not a single wheel was still on the highway: Poor Icy Z was in the left shoulder.

And the taxi driver had the nerve to give me a dirty look.

So I gave him the bird and went on my merry way. I haven't had that many profanities floating in my mind in a long time.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:30 PM
350ed
Professional

I like to use my horn in these situations. Try it, it's fun
Old 02-03-2004, 07:05 PM
ZIABLO
I am Batman

I find that in these situations most cars will try to get in the lane you are not in. So it's best to stay in your lane. If oyu worry that a car might try to turn and go in your direction, move left one lane in advance.

You might have even done it a few times yourself: turned into the far lane to avoid the car approaching in the closer lane.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:52 PM
longbowe

350ed: I did use the horn. Not one long honk, but a few short ones. That's the only reason he noticed me.

EnthuZiastDrive: I was in the leftmost lane!!!
Old 02-03-2004, 10:45 PM
mgl

next time try one long continous honk... and add some high beam headlight flashes to get that car outta the way.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:11 AM
whatever
Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on the honking issue.... did anyone notice that the horn on the Z is not easily accessible if you try to keep both hand on the wheel? You have to take one hand off the steering wheel just to honk the horn. So in an emergency situation, say you're trying to swerve to avoid a careless driver cutting into your lane (as in Bruce's situation) not only do you have to lift one hand off the wheel to honk to see if the driver sees you and if they don't then swerve with one hand...

I looked at a few other cars's steering wheel and the Z is the only one that has it's horn only activated when you push the center of the airbag and not on the spokes out to the wheel.

just a little food for thought...
Old 02-04-2004, 09:27 AM
4myZ350

WHAT EVER. LOL! thought it was funny see you soon
Old 02-04-2004, 04:47 PM
Balls

i never use my horn... i always like to keep my hands on the wheel... i'm too retarded to honk and move at the same time. haha

i do have a few comments to make. First, sorry that you had to deal with a retard on the road. Second, did I read correctly in that you tried to overtake him? Not that I wouldn't have done that, (i probably would have) but that may not have been the best descision. Finally... next time you have a situation like this... BE SURE you have space to move. If you swerve out of the way and hit the wall the other driver will not be held responsible.

I don't mean to be a butt about number two... (no pun intended) because god knows i'd would've passed him up, got in front of him and just slowed to a stop.... but we all know that's not the right thing to do. =)

Last edited by Balls; 02-04-2004 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:09 PM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the first things I do after I get a car, particularly a japanese car is check to see how loud the horn really is. Most of the time it is notloud enough for even you to hear, so I purchase a set of the loudest horns i can sqweeze into the front area of the car.
I honk my horn about twice a year and it is one of those situation where the person is an idiot or most often a person that is not paying attention to where they are and who is around.....so you remind him/her my laying on the horn until he/she wakes up. i grew up in an era that had horns in the center of the steering wheel, so I usually use the palm of my hand or a finger whatever it takes.
My dad always taught me that in baseball you always need to know what to do if the ball comes to you.
I try to drive like that. Checking out places to go should some unforseen thing happen. Look several car lengths ahead etc. Geeez this is starting to sound like a lecture. glad you came out of it OK!!!
Old 02-04-2004, 09:27 PM
350ed
Professional

Where can you get a loud a$$ horn for the Z? I'd love to have it sound like a 18-wheeler
Old 02-04-2004, 10:37 PM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Hella makes some. Try looking online. the car parts chain stores have them too. loud but without the air tank the 18 wheeler has.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:35 PM
longbowe

Originally posted by Z-*****
i never use my horn... i always like to keep my hands on the wheel... i'm too retarded to honk and move at the same time. haha

i do have a few comments to make. First, sorry that you had to deal with a retard on the road. Second, did I read correctly in that you tried to overtake him? Not that I wouldn't have done that, (i probably would have) but that may not have been the best descision. Finally... next time you have a situation like this... BE SURE you have space to move. If you swerve out of the way and hit the wall the other driver will not be held responsible.

I don't mean to be a butt about number two... (no pun intended) because god knows i'd would've passed him up, got in front of him and just slowed to a stop.... but we all know that's not the right thing to do. =)
No, I think you were thinking about the guy who had the run-in with Jetta Boy (over in the Coupe Forum). Like I said, traffic was going about 25mph in my lane, while momentarily at a virtual standstill in his lane. I was never even close to being farther forward than him until after he'd already run me off to the left shoulder, and I was already clawing back into my lane.

And yeah, I had enough space. I didn't have to hit my brakes particularly hard, either. But I was thankful for the fairly wide left shoulder.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:39 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

That's when a good "steelo" or "nina" would be most opportune for presentation... j/k

Just keep level-headed longbowe... I think that about 60% of the drivers on the road are inherently a$$holes and we can't [physically] fight every single battle on the road daily, huh?
Old 02-05-2004, 08:32 PM
longbowe

Yeah, I'm just glad nothing serious happened. I gladly flipped him the bird and went on my merry way.