Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Z Owners of Nor Cal - Blackhawk Museum 4/7/18

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 05:06 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts
Default Z Owners of Nor Cal - Blackhawk Museum 4/7/18

Wasn't sure this was going to happen this year but just got this from Alvin G on 311S.org, the roadster site (he's the gentleman who writes/shoots the excellent Z Car Blog for Z Car Garage and owns one wicked Roadster): http://www.zcarblog.com/

I'm definitely going.... not going to miss an opportunity to meet Peter Brock! (I've met a number of people associated with BRE back in the day but not the man himself.) What's really dumb is that I lived (for 7 years!) one mile away from the museum when it first opened; yet, have never been there!!

Will update on any caravans (Z, Dimes, or Roadsters) from the South Bay Area.

Last edited by MicVelo; 01-11-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:49 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Wasn't sure this was going to happen this year but just got this from Alvin G on 311S.org, the roadster site (he's the gentleman who writes/shoots the excellent Z Car Blog for Z Car Garage and owns one wicked Roadster): http://www.zcarblog.com/

I'm definitely going.... not going to miss an opportunity to meet Peter Brock! (I've met a number of people associated with BRE back in the day but not the man himself.) What's really dumb is that I lived (for 7 years!) one mile away from the museum when it first opened; yet, have never been there!!

Will update on any caravans (Z, Dimes, or Roadsters) from the South Bay Area.

Bump as today is the last day to register for this event next weekend!! (I'd imagine you could pay at the door but might cost a buck or two more, dunno.)

To register: www.zonc.org

If you're going, see you there! As of right now, we're going to drive the "red roadster red roadster, send Mic right over...."
Old 04-06-2018, 03:28 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Last call reminder!

Tomorrow we head to Blackhawk to meet a legend!

Join us (Z, 510, Roadster people) to meet Peter Brock and check out the museum itself. Museum opens at 10, Mr. Brock speaks at 10:30am. Regular admission includes the talk.

Adults $15
Students, Senior, Vets $10
Children under 6 FREE
Active Military FREE

Would love to meet some of you other locals (and not so locals). We'll be in my silver 33. Introduce yourself if you're there. 6 foot Asian guy looking star struck.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:56 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Bitchin' AWESOME Day!!!

But before the museum was even opened...

Got to chat with the legend for several minutes. We shared some typical "old guy reminiscing"..... Me: "Wow, hey, I heard Tony (Adamowicz) passed away and wow, I just saw him at Laguna maybe three years ago..." I also told him about my background working for Datsun Competition and the story about the throwout bearing incident with Newman.... He told me, "When we're inside, I'll be sharing some things you've probably never heard about Bob Sharp and Datsun Competition, even with you being an insider."

And man, did he ever. He shared the full BRE (and BEFORE BRE) period working with Hino and Toyota, along with the development of the FIA Endurance Championship winning Cobra Daytona and his employment as Carroll Shelby's FIRST employee. FASCINATING!! 2 hours of car history laid out for us by a man who lived and shaped it!!

Oh, and yeah, I wh*red out......

But hey, check this out before judging me.

This is Mike Young, "legendary" Datsun Roadster builder and restorer. ANYONE into roadsters know of him.

(With my wife studying the car intently to tell me what my roadster needs. Heehee.)

But even Mike becomes a fanboy (like me!) when it comes to Peter Brock!!

Oh, and check out the guy with the dash panel to be signed by Mister Brock! Awesome!

Oh, cars? You wanna see cars? OK, we didn't get there early to park up in the plaza directly in front of the museum (because we had another engagement in the afternoon and might have needed to make an early getaway) so we parked in the lower lot where a lot were congregating, along with Mister Brock himself hanging out with us!!

Varied hardware....

And views of cars on the plaza...

A lot of these cars I've included here belong to guys I know/have met (or met today). There were a LOT more cars outside the Z Owners of Nor Cal reserved area!

So, a great time, great company, great guy.... The most touching part of the day was when he was talking about Mister K and broke down in tears reminiscing about what a great and fair man Yutaka Katayama was. I was close to a tear myself. Wow.

Last edited by MicVelo; 04-07-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:46 PM
SPM350Z

Received 163 Likes on 97 Posts

Glad to hear you had a great time Mic....I had something going on this morning or would have tried to make it down there. Good to see it was only wet and not actually raining too. Great pics and I think it's awesome you got Mr. Brocks autographs...cool stuff.

-Shawn
Old 04-09-2018, 04:29 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by SPM350Z
Glad to hear you had a great time Mic....I had something going on this morning or would have tried to make it down there. Good to see it was only wet and not actually raining too. Great pics and I think it's awesome you got Mr. Brocks autographs...cool stuff.

-Shawn
Yeah, there were a couple of 33s and a actually several 34s in attendance but not nearly enough!! The Nissan/Datsun love was evident all around though.

So, be ready for MORE of that love come August out here at the Monterey Historics!

And for all of you closer to the SE area, The Mitty at Road Atlanta later this month! Your chance to meet the man who, along with Peter Brock and BRE, helped put Datsun (Nissan) on the map! Grand Marshall of the 2018 is Mister John Morton!

https://www.themitty.com/

We're finally getting the historical recognition we deserve this year!! I've been patiently waiting over 40 years for the world to RECOGNIZE!

Last edited by MicVelo; 04-09-2018 at 04:31 PM.