Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

SCCA Runoffs 2018 - Sonoma Raceway Oct 16-21, 2018

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 08:09 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts
Default SCCA Runoffs 2018 - Sonoma Raceway Oct 16-21, 2018

The Runoffs are coming! The Runoffs are coming!

Hey all in NorCal and surrounds, I know it's late notice but just wanted to give you a heads up! The annual Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) National Championship takes place this coming week at Sonoma Raceway!! (In Sonoma, CA, Hwy 37 and 121, of course.)

As many know, this is the "Superbowl of Amateur Road Racing" and for it to be out here in Northern California for the second time in five years is a treat!! The best of the best are coming out to vie for the title of "National Champion" of their respective classes!

But here's the real reason why you need to be there... Our own David Muramoto (dkmura here on my350Z.com) is towing out from Colorado to race for the SCCA Touring 3 National title in his 350Z!!! Here's a chance to meet David (and me.... or maybe I shouldn't have said that... haha.) in person and cheer him on.

Just to let you all know, David was seriously injured in a testing incident before the 2017 season and sat out the entire '17 season recuperating. But... He's back as the current champion of his division for 2018, a huge accomplishment that deserves support from the Z community!

The T3 championship race takes place Sunday morning 10/21 at 8:30AM sharp (first race of the day). So, if you have other plans for later in the day, you can still be there for this key race! Should also note that there is qualifying for all run groups/classes during the week, Tues-Thurs, 10/16-18 with championship racing starting Friday, 10/19. (Download full schedule at site below.)

Hope to see you there!! My wife and I will be there Saturday PM and Sunday 'til about 2pm. So come on out, maybe let's grab some grub on Saturday night and cheer David on on Sunday morning!!

Full information and schedule here: https://www.scca.com/events/1990668-2018-scca-runoffs

PM me if you're planning to come on out! (Dinner reservations and all that...)
Old 10-12-2018, 07:58 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Thanks, Mic! Appreciate the support all 'round and hope to meet some my350Z members when I visit the left coast. There'll also be three other 350Zs from throughout the country out representing and we'll have our work cut out racing all the bimmers and mustangs. With a 17-car T3 field, it should be a good spectacle
Old 10-13-2018, 08:03 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Today is another adventure driving cross-country to Sonoma. Left Denver yesterday, and will be traveling past the Great Salt Lake in Utah and the salt flats in Utah. Maybe stop and unload the Z for a Z33 land speed record attempt? Maybe not. Goal is to get into Nevada today and Cali tomorrow. I may even get to glimpse the magnificence of Mic's garage!
Old 10-13-2018, 09:05 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dkmura
Today is another adventure driving cross-country to Sonoma. Left Denver yesterday, and will be traveling past the Great Salt Lake in Utah and the salt flats in Utah. Maybe stop and unload the Z for a Z33 land speed record attempt? Maybe not. Goal is to get into Nevada today and Cali tomorrow. I may even get to glimpse the magnificence of Mic's garage!
"OK, people, nothing to see here, move along, move along.... Just a coupla Datsuns.... nuttin' to see...."

But yes, welcome in, bud! Gonna be fun! I wish I could make it to the track for the entire week but physically not a good idea for me. But dinner tomorrow and racing next week, hey!

By the way, my mother-in-law is anxious to have a race car parked in front of her house so her neighbors can make a fuss. Hahahahahaha.....
Old 10-15-2018, 08:00 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Sorry to say, Mic's mom-in-law didn't have my race rig parked in front of her house. Rather than make the 150 mile round trip, we decided to just complete the tow to Sonoma Raceway and try to get together later in the week, It was time well spent, as I completed registration, got through the tech requirements (including fuel testing to ensure the Sunoco 100 octane Runoffs mandated fuel was not being doctored or modified) and getting all the systems checked and ready for three days of qualifying starting Tuesday. That' was a lot of work, yet I know I face a steep learning curve re-learning a track I last raced at almost TWENTY years ago! For those looking for a worthy challenge in a Z car, this is one of them!

Last edited by dkmura; 10-27-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:13 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Yesterday was first qualifying and the first time I'd been out on Sonoma (Sear Point) in almost 30 years. It hasn't gotten any easier, although the Z33 has many qualities that weren't around when I first competed here. The VQ has strong torque that the 31mm restrictor doesn't impact as much if you upshift early. Handling was strong, although I'm still experimenting with disconnecting the rear swaybar and using understeer to be my guide at the limit. .The Brembo brakes still are strong on those heavy braking areas at either end of the circuit and easy to modulate, but I'm still overbraking in key areas. Qualified 13 out of 17 cars in the field, and have a long way to go to get to grips with some of the nation's best. But that's only the first day, and I'm about to head out the door for the second day of early morning qualifying!
Old 10-18-2018, 09:43 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Runoffs qualifying report #2 and #3- Wednesday saw a 1.7 second improvement, but I was hoping for more. With fresh BFG R1S tires, the Z seemed to be performing well, but I was honestly hoping for more. But only a few cars lowered their lap times that day. Thursday qualifying was a bigger problem as heavy fog rolled in, and combined with electrical outages in the area, resulted in our qualifying being delayed and shortened. Tried hard, but the track was simply not there and nobody really set any fast times today. Most disappointing, as I start 16th in a 17 car field. Not satisfied, but with the quirky early morning conditions, I'm leery of changing my suspension setup too radically and making the car slower (or more unstable) for the Sunday race. New front Cobalt Friction XR2 pads will help the braking and I may try a few smaller tricks but I'm behind the 8-ball on this one.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:38 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

No worries, David!! After the meal we have, yer gonna easily take 9 seconds off the Sears, er, Sonoma lap! Because yer gonna be hungry in an hour again no matter how much you eat. Hahaha. (You know, the old "yer hungry an hour after eating Chinese food..." adage. Gads, sorry I had to explain that.... hahaha.

OK NorCal people, I don't hear any noise out there!! We're talkin' our man, yr fthfl svnt David defending OUR honor! See you at Sonoma??
Old 10-21-2018, 07:09 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Default Runoffs 2018 - Preview of coverage.

After our man, David Muramoto (dkmura) towed out to Sonoma, CA from Colorado and spent the week testing, tuning, eating well, and qualifying, it's finally RACE DAY!!

He passes tech, no problem.

We roll up this morning and my wife says, "There's David and he's going to take a leak." (getting off his paddock transport and entering the nearby porta-potty) Hahahahahahahaha! I decided to sneak up on him to catch him in the act (of riding the bike, not takin' a leak!!!! Sheesh, y'all sound like my wife. Hahahaha!). But ya, got 'em!

OK, slightly more appropriate coverage. Last minute tire pressure check before call to pre-grid. Note the VERY LARGE air gauge dial. It's the "Old Man Can't See Shid Special" by Longacre. I need one of those!!!

On track in the esses, T8-9-10.

But..... uh oh. There's a reason Mr. Bill rides in the race trailer with David.

Oh noooooooooooooooo!!!

And you wonder why so many people advise: "Don't cheap out on wheels!"

Last half of the race was run on this wheel/tire, still holding air. And never mind that David had some other serious stuff to contend with (which he can talk about).

But.... at the end of the day, the car lives on to race another day, another winning season, and a look to the Runoffs 2019!!

I personally had a blast and want to thank David for having us on board as assistant pit boy, assistant bottle washer, and assistant to the assistant cheer leader. My wife and I want to thank you, Kathy, and Sherry for being great friends and supporters of the sport!!

And for not making too much fun of my missing toof and for NOT finishing the "try the car on for size" contortions. Don't think I'da had much (more) problem getting in but getting myself OUT of the car, hmmmmm..... Hahahahahahaha! Now you know why I raced a roadster and a open wheel car..... leg up, over, in, repeat-in-reverse to get out.

The actual race, what went on in it that I teased in pics above and the overall week's experience will be covered by David himself.

Last edited by MicVelo; 10-21-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:11 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

The 2018 Sonoma Runoffs are what I call a YIKES! race. First, Sunday morning was very foggy, which made the track surface damp and a bit slippery. the green flag fell late and we raced up the hill into the T1-2 combo with a snarling pack dicing all around. After struggling to get abound a Mustang, I found a recent problem making a comeback. Coming off the Carousel, and shifting up to fourth, I could feel the rear of my Z begin moving around slightly. Tried to ignore it, but strange handling and braking began to remind me that something wasn't right. Turned out to be the LR hub nut had come loose AGAIN and had me struggling to control the car. Then on lap 16, I tried to move to the outside of T1 to let some faster cars lap me, and got a smack in the chops instead. A Shelby Mustang hit the Enkei LF wheel and I was lucky not to have it break or lose the bead on my BFG R1-S tire.

Managed to make the finish and finished a lowly 13th, but even with no practice and limited qualifying time, I enjoyed the challenge of racing at Sonoma Raceway. That's one tough, technical track and one worthy of pushing the Z's limits on. Congrats to the winning Mustang driver, William Mast and the two BMWs who finished in second and third (Drennan and Nakano). I hope they get some smaller restrictors and weight for their success! I thank my lucky stars for the pit help from MicVelo and the excellent time we had down in SanFran with Mic and his lovely wife, Kerri, Their friendship outshines a trophy ANYTIME!
Old 10-22-2018, 11:01 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Default Touring 3 Action

"...finished a lowly 13th" he says. Psh on that.

David, that's a hell of an accomplishment!! The Runoffs are about running with the "best of the best". So, the reality of it is that 13th at the Runoffs is far more than most racers will ever accomplish. I'll use me as an example. In something like 20 races (short track career in three different cars when not serving other racers out of the Datsun supply truck, haha), I never got wood (not that kind , I mean a plaque or trophy, laff); nor ever stood on a podium. But does that matter to me 35 years later? Nope. Still one of the best things I've ever done and experienced. It was all about the competition going W2W, the camaraderie with fellow racers, the testing of one's own resolve & mettle, and, THE FUN!!

So NO, not lowly. Your 13th at Nationals - seeming to me, and in a field of 20-some cars/drivers - says a whole lot about the driver's character and drive (no pun).

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 13TH PLACE FINISH AMONG THE BEST OF THE BEST!!

And to FINISH with a broken wheel and rear hub that, had the flaggers known it, probably would have earned you a meatball. Heck, we heard the tire scraping on the cool-down at The Carousel (below), from all the way over at T8 (some 300 meters away!) and you still nursed it home at 70mph!

T6 - The Carousel (before the "racing incident".)

So hey, you finished and did so without a post-race rescue from a track hooker, er, tow truck hook. (No, I guess they don't call them that any more but old habits die hard.) But ya, "lowly", indeed. Hmmmph, BS, I think not.

=============================================

A few more shots from the race. I apologize for the quality (or lack thereof) of the shots. The fog kept messing with my light metering. And yes, as David pointed out, the start of the T3 race (and pretty much the entire race) was typical first race of the day, early morning foggy, to say the least.

Crowd not yet thinned out in the first few laps.

L-to-R:
Polesitter and 1st Place finisher Marshall Mast #31, Susquehanna Region
2nd Place finisher Mark Drennan #10, San Francisco Region
4th place finisher and last year's T3 Champion Derek Kulach #1, Colorado Region.

David Muramoto #7 Colorado Region at Turn 8.

Lansing Stout, Jr (next door paddock mate) #54, Oregon Region

Brad Dressen, Honda S2000, San Francisco Region

Derek Kulach #1 Colorado Region followed by Eddie Nakato, #28 Oregon Region

Nakato ultimately passed Kulach, taking home 3rd place podium finish.

2018 Touring 3 National Champion Marshall Mast

And again, 13th Place FINISHER David Muramoto acknowledging the crowd. Heh heh.... I think he saw the four of us waving. But y'know, I said to my wife Kari, David's wife Kathy, and our good friend Sherry, "That wave about sums it up... he's livin' the life and obviously enjoying the h*ll out of it! And that's the most important thing about racing."

See you next year at the '19 Nationals held at Virginia International Raceway (VIR)!!

Last edited by MicVelo; 10-22-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:24 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Wrapping up the Runoffs Weekend, a few more shots from around Sonoma Raceway.

First, a study in contrasts...

Here's a typical low, er, wait, "cozy" budget team paddock setup:

Sheesh, I didn't have an enclosed trailer. Hmmmph.

And now, here's how the high rollers do it:

Personally, prefer the cozy setup. After all, it is called "amateur road racing", NOT "pseudo pro arrive n' drive racing". Laff. But seriously, Phoenix Motorsports (above) had a huge presence at the Runoffs. Matter of fact, the winner in Touring 3, Marshall Mast, flies the Phoenix Motorsports flag. Very well prepared team.

Next door to David's paddock slot was this car:
My wife liked this one.... she says it looks like the car was levitating. Kinda Jetsons style. But underneath the cover is a pretty awesome tubular GT-3 Nissan 240SX campaigned by Jeff Scoville out of Oregon.

Now, here is the tow rig for the 240SX. Take note of the name on the side.
OK, I'll make a self-immolating-admission in the "shame on me" category...

David asks me if I remember this trailer and the logo for Scoville Ltd. It sorta rings a bell but for the life of me, can't remember details. And at the time didn't think too hard on it so as to give myself an OCD headache. But today, as I'm going through the pictures, it hits me like a bag of bricks and I chastise myself heavily for being absent minded and/or senile (haha) and forgetting that Jack Scoville (Jeff's dad) was one of the pioneering Datsun racers back in the '60s and early '70s!

But what's truly shameful of me is forgetting that Jack ran Datsun roadsters in D-Production, the same class I raced in about ten years after he won the ARRC National title in it. Along the way to the title, he was battling it out with the likes of John Morton and the well known BRE team!! FYI, the American Road Racing Championship (ARRC) was the SCCA National Championship Race before it became the Runoffs. But ya, there's history on that trailer.

Here's David in the early Saturday morning sun. Looks like he's blessing his car. "Dear racing gawds, please let me be fast today."

Now here's an interesting factoid. David carries 9 spares. Why 9? Well, you'll have to ask him. But let's just say that the odd tire/wheel out was used by end of day.

The business office where stuff gets done.

And here's David telling me to "Get your butt over here, there's someone I want you to meet!" It's Rick Kulach, just retired Head of Nissan Motorsports, North America. Great guy. Was enjoyable talking about "the old days", which is interesting because I pre-date Rick at Nissan/Datsun by some many years. Hahaha! Makes me wonder where I'd be if I'd stuck with Nissan from 1976 as an 18 year old kid. Long retired I'd hope.

Some of the sights around the paddock.

Cool looking Mazda RX-7 FD

Another Mazda of the rotary persuasion. This one an FB 2nd Gen.

And, a T3 350Z

Astounding to me was/is where and how cars are classed these days. Back in my day, the production classes were very thick and the classes were numerous, A-Prod, B-Prod, C-Prod and so forth, you get the idea. There were 7 Production classes in all. Now there are only three Production classes with E-Production the fastest and incorporates such an incredible diversity of cars that I get confused. But it makes sense with overlap with the Touring classes, Super Touring, Spec classes, etc., there's still a place for most anything you can safely put on the track.

Long time road racing and British car stalwart, Joe Huffaker, Sr. and his company Huffaker Engineering is locally based and is a major presence in the world of SCCA road racing. Their cars are always cool and competitive.

And here's something I didn't know about... Huffaker builds other things besides LBCs! Very sleek Honda S2K.

Oh, and here's a treat for all you wheel freaks hung up on having a big wheel "LIP". Laff...

Look carefully at the following two photographs. Tell me what you see. (Well, just imagine you're telling me and see if you're right, below the pics.)

"For real occifer, I didn't know!"

I walked into this area not realizing I was walking into the impound area (there were no signs on the side of the building where I entered!) As I stood there firing away with my camera, I was approached by an SCCA official. "No pictures please."

Boy, did I feel stupid. But honestly, unlike the SCCA events I go to at Laguna Seca where impound is a big tent and is clearly "marked" as the impound area by car owners/drivers wearing scowls on their faces. Hahaha. But ya, this area looked like any of the other adjacent garages in which cars were stored and worked on (shown above). Hell, these buildings weren't even there the last time I was at this track.

Speaking of the last time I was there, I have to tell you, the track facilities and the track itself have changed DRAMATICALLY in 30 years! Along with all the pit lane garages and the "mall" of shop buildings - many/most racing related businesses - this grandstand didn't exist.

I surmise that it was built along the front straight to accommodate the large crowds of spectators for the big pro rodeos of NASCAR, Indycar, and NHRA drag racing that all take place at this multi-faceted facility.

This pic, below, shows multiple uses for a single corner. It's actually a pretty interesting blending of disciplines served at one facility.

On top of that, where there were rolling hills of dirt strewn "parking and observation" areas, these have been replaced with concrete tiered seating cut into the hillsides, many of the locations offering stellar views of huge portions of the track. Here, David and I take in the amazing views of more than half of the course's turns from a single location.

To put my amazement into perspective, a while back, my wife asked me why I never want to go to races at Sonoma and favored Laguna Seca. "Ehhh, uncomfortable... no seating... viewing sucks." Boy, was I wrong. This is now an INCREDIBLE track to spectate at! Going forward, I won't have any hesitation in the future going to Sonoma.

Finally, a few shots of cars doing what they came to Sonoma to do... RACE! (These are Saturday morning shots only).

Spec Miata (SM) - 48 cars on track!

Prototype 2 (P2)

Oooops.

And that should do it for this year! Next time you're invited to come on out to share in the Nissan Z madness, maybe you'll join the gang and enjoy a couple of SF's most famous Salt n' Pepper Crabs with us. Don't say you weren't invited.

But lawdy, that guy with the obnoxious Nissan Z shirt!! Who wants to be seen in public with THAT!!

Last edited by MicVelo; 10-23-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:59 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

My thanks to MicVelo for his pictorial of my Sonoma Runoffs. While the SCCA Runoffs is billed as the Olympics of amateur motorsports, the reality is that there are plenty of pro drivers and teams that participate in the event. The lines between being a professional and a talented amateur get blurred, but I'm under no illusions about my status. No one is hiring me to race in the Indy 500, NASCAR, IMSA or any other pro series. Makes no difference to the pure joy and exhilaration I continue to feel when racing wheel-to-wheel. There's also the enjoyment of seeing friends from coast-to-coast that I haven't seen for years but have been forged in the fire of competition, I made it a point to try to introduce myself to as many drivers in my race group as possible early in qualifying. These are people from my "tribe", and there's nothing like pressing (or being pressed) another racer for lap-after-lap to learn their limits, as well as yours. Although Mic has been away from this special fraternity for years, he knows it and recognizes how special it is.

What's important about this thread is not particularly what happened to me, but what it means to other Z drivers on this forum. Beyond the "my car is broke" threads, or the debates on turbo vs. V8 builds, the fact is, there's plenty of fun and adventure yet to be explored with the Z33 in close to OEM form. Some might say, "ah well, he's got a trailer and a dedicated racecar to work with", but that's not how it started. My first Runoffs bid at Road Atlanta started with me driving my racecar to the track. That same car took me back-and-forth to work every day, and it took a lot of creativity and gumption to make THAT work! But whether you're 17 or 77, it all depends on what your determination is. Learning how to drive your car at speed, training your reflexes and developing racecraft are all skills that stay with your soul, and I hope more Z drivers come to this realization at some point. As Mic has said on many occasions, these are tangible benefits that stay with you throughout your life, so whether you solo, track, time trial or race, it's a discussion I wish we all had more often in 2018 and beyond.
The following users liked this post:
MicVelo (10-25-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 09:42 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Another important point for the 2018 Sonoma Runoffs is Nissan has the enviable position of being the leading marque when it comes to earning National Championships. This year, a heavily modified Datsun 510 won the 2018 GT Lights championship and a tubeframe Nissan 240SX also took the GT3 title to extend this winning tradition at the SCCA Runoffs!
Old 11-02-2018, 06:29 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Nice SCCA video of the Sonoma Runoffs: https://www.scca.com/videos/2035595
Old 11-08-2018, 06:17 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Watching that video (posted above), I learned some things about my fellow competitors. The racer who finished third, Eddie Nakano, had been racing at the 'Ring in Germany the week before the Runoffs. He had his crew bring his BMW E46 to Sonoma while he jet-hopped his way back to the States in time to start qualifying!

I didn't see much of Nakano, aside from a quick introduction on the grid one day, but he clearly kept charging throughout the race. That helped him when Derek Kulach's Z was blocked by a lapped car towards the end and gave him a great opportunity to set up a pass and make the podium. Dang- that was a RACE! Wish I could do it again...
Old 11-08-2018, 06:53 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dkmura
Watching that video (posted above), I learned some things about my fellow competitors. The racer who finished third, Eddie Nakano, had been racing at the 'Ring in Germany the week before the Runoffs. He had his crew bring his BMW E46 to Sonoma while he jet-hopped his way back to the States in time to start qualifying!

I didn't see much of Nakano, aside from a quick introduction on the grid one day, but he clearly kept charging throughout the race. That helped him when Derek Kulach's Z was blocked by a lapped car towards the end and gave him a great opportunity to set up a pass and make the podium. Dang- that was a RACE! Wish I could do it again...
Next year, VIR. Actually, might plan to be there. Have never experienced any of the tracks back there and VIR looks (from video and TV coverage) to be awesome. It'll give me an excuse to visit one of my best friends who I see about once every 5-6 years! Hmmmm, wonder if any of those houses on track are on Air BnB.... Hmmmmmmm......

But ya, thanks for links to the Runoffs vids.... I've been binge watching them for a couple of days! (At the expense of work output. Laff.) Watched local good guy Troy Ermish (well known in the Datsun 510 and roadster communities) take GT-L by an amazing 30 second margin. That Dime was F-A-S-T!!! And second also to a Nissan (240SX).

Last edited by MicVelo; 11-08-2018 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:36 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

Great pics and post, Mic! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your coverage of the event. These types of posts are always a welcome change from some of the other "normal" dribble around here

And, nice work David! 13th is definitely nothing to scoff at. I love your passion for racing the Z and hope that you continue to enjoy the sport for years to come.

VIR is only a little over an hour away from me. I hope to make it for 2019!
Old 12-25-2018, 03:01 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Default Runoffs on TV - December 30

Just in case anyone is interested in watching the "Olympics of Amateur Road Racing" (that is, the 2018 SCCA Runoffs), CBS Sports Network will be broadcasting their coverage of 8-10 class events on Sunday, December 30, 2018. Many of the classes have already been broadcast since October on Sundays but these and a few not-yet-broadcast will be shown that day. Check your local listings. They show up on Comcast as "Sports Car Club of America" (not "auto racing").

Unfortunately, the Touring Classes (where our Z cars run) have not been shown (nor do they look like they will be). But, a broad spectrum of classes from Formula V, Continental, Spec Miata, GT-2 and others all feature really tight racing at Sonoma Raceway. Enjoy! I have been, pretty decent flag-to-flag coverage.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:25 AM
35th4me

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Man.. I’m sorry I missed this. Congratulations!!