MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Product Announcements (https://my350z.com/forum/product-announcements-490/)
-   -   Sound Performance Triple pump hangar update (https://my350z.com/forum/product-announcements/394223-sound-performance-triple-pump-hangar-update.html)

thom000001 10-23-2008 06:47 PM

Sound Performance Triple pump hangar update

I've got about 4k miles on my setup now from SP.

I have their triple pump hangar with 3 walbro 255's.

People have asked how low you can run the fuel. Well we were at the drag strip and I was low on fuel. Made about 10 passes. Gauge was down from just above 1/4 to 1 line above E during runs (pump gas 15psi of boost). Drove 8 miles to gas station afterwards. Put 18.8gallons in the tank (20 gallon tank).

So the pumps pick up down pretty low. I was pleased (and I got to see their Z go 9.90 :) )

Tom

IIQuickSilverII 10-24-2008 08:53 AM

if i recall larry said it sits as low as stock so this is just re-confirmation of that :thumbup:

QuadCam 10-25-2008 06:21 AM

anyone know if it works with the G sedan fuel tank? the sedans have a slightly different setup compared to the G Coupe and 350Z.

rrmedicx 10-25-2008 07:25 AM

Thanks for sharing Thom...that is useful info. Puts the rumors to rest.
Cool.

cowboy bebop 10-30-2008 10:45 AM

That's outstanding!! :) SP's triple pump hangers are the hot ticket to real HP and proper fueling.

Eric

rrmedicx 10-30-2008 11:22 AM

Now that I think of it, I'd say that's pretty risky/ballsy of you to attempt to boost with less than 1/4 tank...running lean could have killed your motor if it didn't work as well as it does. Kudos to you for trying it and risking much more than you probably had thought.

thom000001 10-30-2008 01:01 PM

Wasn't too worried (wasn't going that quick anyway lol), and larry has fuel pressure watched so it won't hurt the motor, pulls all the timing and back down the motor (yea pro-efi)

Tom

Originally Posted by rrmedicx (Post 6494925)
Now that I think of it, I'd say that's pretty risky/ballsy of you to attempt to boost with less than 1/4 tank...running lean could have killed your motor if it didn't work as well as it does. Kudos to you for trying it and risking much more than you probably had thought.

rrmedicx 10-30-2008 02:52 PM

Nice to know. Yeah the ProEFI has a bunch of failsafes and I love it. But thanks for the quick response. Nice to see that Triple working out.

thom000001 11-03-2008 11:31 AM

Did a little test after going to the track on sat.....drove home and whatnot (had to help a friend move....tight little package? affirmative)

anyway. Gauge was low....low.....low.....nav was bauking at me....so did a few laps around my folks neighborhood before heading to station. How low you ask???

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3287/...a8b3c3e1_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3278/...0cc7b1c7_o.jpg

So I go fill up...........we have a 20 gallon tank right.......I put in 19.1 gallons (forgot to take a pic of the pump, hey it was 1am)

So I think thats 2 pretty good tests for how low it will pick up from

rrmedicx 11-03-2008 11:51 AM

Very funny. /\ /\ Good info.

IntenseFab 11-03-2008 09:38 PM

That's one way to test it!!! :icon17:

QuadCam 11-04-2008 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by QuadCam (Post 6472125)
anyone know if it works with the G sedan fuel tank? the sedans have a slightly different setup compared to the G Coupe and 350Z.

so does anyone know about fitment with the Sedan?

rrmedicx 11-04-2008 07:44 AM

I thought the pump hanger was made with an adjustable height arm assembly? Still not 100% sure if it is compatible with the G, but I thought that was the point of the adjustable bracket.

ttg35fort 12-03-2008 01:28 PM

Japtrix put the SPR Triple Pump Hangar in my G35 this week. It does fit (although it goes in much easier than it comes out).

We had one small fuel leak through one of the allen bolts that holds the hangar bracket to the top plate. Roger put teflon tape on the allen bolt and used a compression washer, and that stopped the leak. We think one of the overflow holes at the top of the venturi must have been spraying right at the junction of the hangar bracket and the top plate.

Right now I have two Walbros active, and I have a third Walbro as a spare. I grounded all of the fuel pump ground leads and put fast-on connectors on the positive leads. That way, if one of my primary Walbros fail (which they have been known to do), I can move the fuel pickup and the power lead over to the spare, which is capped off right now. Also, I can easily bring the third pump on-line for even more fuel flow if E-85 ever becomes readily available down here in So. Fla.

As a side note, a couple of weeks ago Jack tuned a turbo charged Maxima (or something like that), first on 93 octane and then with e-85. He was able to pull quite a bit more hp using E-85, which allowed more boost and more aggressive timing. (I think the car was something like 385 hp on 93 octane and 450 hp on E85, but I don't remember the exact numbers).

My fuel pressure was set at 40 psi with the single Walbro. When we brought the Triple Pump hangar on-line with two fuel pumps operating, the fuel pressure went to 50 psi without making any adjustments, so it is definitely working.

I'll be trying it out at Homestead the weekend after next and I'll post my experience with the Triple Pump hangar.

cowboy bebop 12-06-2008 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by ttg35fort (Post 6635994)
Japtrix put the SPR Triple Pump Hangar in my G35 this week. It does fit (although it goes in much easier than it comes out).

We had one small fuel leak through one of the allen bolts that holds the hangar bracket to the top plate. Roger put teflon tape on the allen bolt and used a compression washer, and that stopped the leak. We think one of the overflow holes at the top of the venturi must have been spraying right at the junction of the hangar bracket and the top plate.

Right now I have two Walbros active, and I have a third Walbro as a spare. I grounded all of the fuel pump ground leads and put fast-on connectors on the positive leads. That way, if one of my primary Walbros fail (which they have been known to do), I can move the fuel pickup and the power lead over to the spare, which is capped off right now. Also, I can easily bring the third pump on-line for even more fuel flow if E-85 ever becomes readily available down here in So. Fla.

As a side note, a couple of weeks ago Jack tuned a turbo charged Maxima (or something like that), first on 93 octane and then with e-85. He was able to pull quite a bit more hp using E-85, which allowed more boost and more aggressive timing. (I think the car was something like 385 hp on 93 octane and 450 hp on E85, but I don't remember the exact numbers).

My fuel pressure was set at 40 psi with the single Walbro. When we brought the Triple Pump hangar on-line with two fuel pumps operating, the fuel pressure went to 50 psi without making any adjustments, so it is definitely working.

I'll be trying it out at Homestead the weekend after next and I'll post my experience with the Triple Pump hangar.

That's outstanding! :)

Eric