Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

2010 370Z Nismo Twin Turbo build courtesy of GTM

Old 05-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Uchiha_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

W W
Old 05-06-2010, 01:26 PM
d1mon3k

This= my next car. Nice **** bro!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 02:04 PM
ajcool2

Congrats on the build. I really like how you did all the research and made your own decisions on what you needed instead of buying the most expensive thing you could find. The car and build looks great.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:10 PM
VLADDY'Z

Simply amazing
Old 05-07-2010, 01:22 PM
John@z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

Sam is awesome to work with. We think the GTM turbo kit is the best out for the 370/G37. I also hope people in the 370 community never pick a Greddy kit over the GTM due to hype. Great job GTM and beautiful car stormcrow.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Manjot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clean!
Old 05-07-2010, 09:37 PM
MDHRZ

Originally Posted by John@z1
Sam is awesome to work with. We think the GTM turbo kit is the best out for the 370/G37. I also hope people in the 370 community never pick a Greddy kit over the GTM due to hype. Great job GTM and beautiful car stormcrow.
Explain the "hype" and why someone should never pick a Greddy kit.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:53 AM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by ajcool2
Congrats on the build. I really like how you did all the research and made your own decisions on what you needed instead of buying the most expensive thing you could find. The car and build looks great.
Thanks. I am hoping my decisions, though steeped in past experience and research, are not proven to be poor. Time will tell. But, I am optimistic that I have made good choices with this build.

Originally Posted by John@z1
I agree that the GTM kit is the best on the market at this time. Luckily I have a good friend who is running the GReddy kit and we have the opportunity to compare the two kits without bias. Though, his kit is utilized in a completely different manner, we will still have some key indicators of how both kits perform on this platform.

Originally Posted by MDHRZ
Explain the "hype" and why someone should never pick a Greddy kit.
I think you are extrapolating a lot into John's post. I don't see him saying that people shouldn't pick a GReddy kit...but, that they shouldn't choose it over the GTM kit due to hype surrounding either GReddy or GTM. IMO, GReddy makes an excellent product...it just didn't meet the engineering requirements that I was looking for. I think others are seeing this, as well.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:38 AM
stormcrow

Exclamation Update

I receive a call from the transport driver yesterday afternoon stating he was one to one and a half hours out. Imagine my excitement to know that the car is almost home! The driver says he will call when he's on the street near where we have pre-arranged to meet.

The call comes and I tell him exactly where to go and that I will meet him in five minutes. I pull into the parking lot and he's pulling in at the exact same time. Timing perfection! We both exit our vehicles, exchange pleasantries and then get down to business. A quick hookup of the power from the rig to the trailer and then the hookup of the master control for the lift gate (this is an enclosed trailer with a drive on lift...super sweet) and I am wild with anticipation. The driver hits the "down" button and the gate opens about five inches...then stops. He looks over at me and says "It's just a fuse. I've been frying them for a while now. Let me go replace it." Fuse is replaced, "down" button is hit again and nothing. Zero. Nada. WTF? Driver fumbles around for about an hour and makes a few calls. Needless to say, I wasn't getting my car that night. I tell the driver to call me if things change but that I will not accept the car at night due to it being dark and I want to inspect it.

The call comes around 11pm that he has gotten it fixed. A wire was grounded to the metal of the trailer...shorting shiz out. Nice. So, we meet this morning before work around 8am. I have had a short ride into work in pretty much stop and go traffic. I did have opportunity to "get on it" a bit in a few short spots. My impressions so far: (keep in mind this is the spring pressure...I have not dialed up the boost controller)

1 - Comparing this to any other vehicle I have had to date is apples to oranges. The torque curve is a very linear in ramp up, nothing like the 350Z with GReddy, but so much more managable and pleasant. It hits hard and strong so it is not weaksauce like the supercharger kits I have owned, but doesn't cause major traction issues or obtrusive fish-tailing. What I really like is that it pulls the whole way through the powerband. Where my 350 would hit like a freight train and then take a nose dive, the 370 just pulls and pulls and pulls all the way to redline. Comparing it to the GT-R, it doesn't pull as hard down low, but I am attibuting that to the lower torque numbers and lack of AWD. Traction is still a small issue. Higher in the RPM band, it pulls harder than the GT-R.

2 - The exhaust is by far WAY too annoyingly loud. And it DRONES like mad at anything below 3000. Thumbs down for the GReddy TI-C TT with test pipes and resonators removed. I plan on replacing the resonators, if possible, to see if this will help alleviate some of the nasty rasp and drone. If not, then another exhaust is in my near future.

3 - Lifting the hood gave me wood. I mean, I had seen pictures, but crap the charge pipes look so stealthy and clean! Sam did an incredible job on the setup. The gauges are perfectly placed. The EVC 6, though hard to read due to the angle from the driver's seat, is beautifuly mounted in the slot in front of the cup holder where the dummy switch covers reside. (none of those switches are used in the Nismo) Nothing is damaged or out of sorts. Keep in mind that my car had less than a 1000 miles when it went to Sam. I had just broken 800, I believe. The car was brand new and still looks that very way! Not a scratch on any interior or exterior piece. That is no easy feat when basically disassembling the whole car.

As I drive the car more, I will give a better update and comparison. I need to "feel" her out a bit and see what all she has to offer. But, so far, the decisions I have made seem to be good. Many thanks to Sam and the hardworking guys at GTM for taking such good care of my car and putting together such a seamless build.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by WinOPS
Super excited for ya! Are you as excited as Stewie Griffin is!!!???

How did you hold yourself from that fuse that broke. I would go insane!
LOL, me too. His car was RIGHT THERE, yet still out of reach. I would have been pacing the hallway all night long
Old 05-12-2010, 09:34 AM
MikeG350Z

WOW... So clean and So badass. Congrats!
Old 05-12-2010, 12:59 PM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by WinOPS
Super excited for ya! Are you as excited as Stewie Griffin is!!!???

How did you hold yourself from that fuse that broke. I would go insane!
I am very excited. Not sure that I'm as excited as Stewie in that clip, though. *haha* It was a tough thing not to get a bit irritated and short with the driver...but, I just kept telling myself that it could be much worse and that these are the times that teach me patience. *lol*

Originally Posted by Chris@FsP
LOL, me too. His car was RIGHT THERE, yet still out of reach. I would have been pacing the hallway all night long
It was SUCH a ***** tease, I tell you. Absolutely I could see my car behind the crack in the gate and it was worse than being at a strip club with hot chicks! You can look, but not touch! F THAT!
Old 05-13-2010, 06:19 AM
ATL_Red_G35

I hate you J, I hate you :P

I keed, I keed. Loving the new car and how you've done it. I'd love to check it out in person. Oh, and I might have the fix to reduce that annoying drone of yours

Last edited by ATL_Red_G35; 05-13-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:26 AM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by ATL_Red_G35
I hate you J, I hate you :P

I keed, I keed. Loving the new car and how you've done it. I'd love to check it out in person. Oh, and I might have the fix to reduce that annoying drone of yours
I love you, too, Kevy-Kev. *lol* What is this fix you speak of, sir? I am in dire need.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:37 PM
TheSyn3rgist

Originally Posted by stormcrow
2 - The exhaust is by far WAY too annoyingly loud. And it DRONES like mad at anything below 3000. Thumbs down for the GReddy TI-C TT with test pipes and resonators removed. I plan on replacing the resonators, if possible, to see if this will help alleviate some of the nasty rasp and drone. If not, then another exhaust is in my near future.
If you don't want rasp or drone, Motordyne TDX 2. I have one on my 350 after going through 4 different exhaust systems. I can't drive anywhere without compliments on the sound. It's worth the $1,500.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:24 AM
FuriousPorkchop

Originally Posted by TheSyn3rgist
If you don't want rasp or drone, Motordyne TDX 2. I have one on my 350 after going through 4 different exhaust systems. I can't drive anywhere without compliments on the sound. It's worth the $1,500.
I'm pretty sure if he wanted to do that he would have done that sometime in 2010. Not 2012.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:27 AM
TheSyn3rgist

Holy crap there is nothing going on in this sub-forum...
Old 07-16-2012, 07:18 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I come in here every now and then to drool. I love this car/build. If it's for sale in a few years, I'll be first in line.