Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Water spots on Volk's anodized lip.....Damn Rays!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 03:13 PM
MIVsupra93-2JZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water spots on Volk's anodized lip.....Damn Rays!

WTF, why didn't Rays mention this in the manual? After washing my car, I made sure I dried out as much water as I can on my new Volks wheel(gts). So everything seems to be all nice and dry, until I go out driving and then there were water drip/spots on the lip when I got home.

Some spots have already dried up and I can't seem to get them out. Anyone know how? How can I avoid water spots getting on my rims after a wash? Damn, this is frustrating considering just the wheel cost me $2600.

Last edited by MIVsupra93-2JZ; 11-05-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i use a electric leaf blower to get all the water out of the nooks and inside lip. try 50/50 water vinegar to remove the spots.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:19 PM
saberphx

That is because the water you use is too "harsh" for the rims. I've heard of that happening before, I guess its cause all the minerals and 'ish in the water. Sorry to hear it man, don't feel bad my volks clear coat was compremised before I had them more than 3 months. I feel your pain.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:26 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Did Nissan warn you about leaving water on your paint?

As Nexx pointed out, a leaf blower (or an air compressor if you have one) is great for getting water out of all those little tight spots that a towel won't reach. Another thing I do is drive the car around the block after detailing it. That usually shakes out anything I missed then all I have to do is absorb it with a towel.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:38 PM
ecorona6

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Easy solution:

Starting using this and never looked back! No more water spots on the wheels!!!

Old 11-05-2007, 03:46 PM
MIVsupra93-2JZ

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Did Nissan warn you about leaving water on your paint?

As Nexx pointed out, a leaf blower (or an air compressor if you have one) is great for getting water out of all those little tight spots that a towel won't reach. Another thing I do is drive the car around the block after detailing it. That usually shakes out anything I missed then all I have to do is absorb it with a towel.
Actually, that was my intention. Drive around the block and quickly wipe out any access water on the rim/lip before they dry up, but unfortunately some had already dried and is etched on the lip similiar to how water spots on a winshield.

Hopefully washing the wheels again(In the shade) will clear them out. We will see...
Old 11-05-2007, 03:48 PM
MIVsupra93-2JZ

Originally Posted by ecorona6
Easy solution:

Starting using this and never looked back! No more water spots on the wheels!!!

Wow, I didn't Mr.Clean make auto stuff. Where can I get some of those?
Old 11-05-2007, 03:49 PM
izmir41500

clay bar. use wheelwax
Old 11-05-2007, 04:09 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

To get rid of the water spots, wash them with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water. That will dissolve the mineral deposits left behind and won't harm the wheel finish (or your paint either).
Old 11-05-2007, 04:26 PM
MIVsupra93-2JZ

To get rid of the water spots, wash them with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water. That will dissolve the mineral deposits left behind and won't harm the wheel finish (or your paint either).
Thanks, I will try this if washing them again doesn't do the trick.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:27 PM
stunnashadeson

Didnt know that. Interesting!!!!
Old 11-05-2007, 04:41 PM
ecorona6

Originally Posted by MIVsupra93-2JZ
Wow, I didn't Mr.Clean make auto stuff. Where can I get some of those?
Any Target, Walmart, Sears or similar store. The cool thing...it holds soap and therefore you no longer need a bucket. It also has a switch to turn the water off, water/soap, filtered water...You never have to dry your car or wheels again!
Old 11-05-2007, 05:36 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Be careful about using the Mr. Clean product. When it first came out, a number of the detailing fanatics here tried it out. Initially, the reviews were good and they seemed to like it. After a while though, several reported back that it appeared as though Mr. Clean was dulling their normal shine. Apparently the soap leaves a film behind. It pretty much disappeared from radar here and has been relegated to "fad" status.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:37 PM
ecorona6

Be careful about using the Mr. Clean product. When it first came out, a number of the detailing fanatics here tried it out. Initially, the reviews were good and they seemed to like it. After a while though, several reported back that it appeared as though Mr. Clean was dulling their normal shine. Apparently the soap leaves a film behind. It pretty much disappeared from radar here and has been relegated to "fad" status.
I agree on the soap. I simply replaced it with car soap and it works wonders. I also agree to be careful. What I use on my car is good for me and may not be good for you. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Volk350Z
Master

alot of good tips.. you can try using quick detailer to remove the spot...
Old 11-08-2007, 09:47 AM
incomming

Thanks, I will try this if washing them again doesn't do the trick.

muahaha the benefits of having a chemist for a father, especially since he owns his own chemical company:

I, instead of vinegar, use DI water: pure water to use as a rinse-down after you wash your car. removes all the bad schtuff and keeps my pain and wheels from ever having waterspots.

Ha!
Old 11-08-2007, 03:48 PM
MIVsupra93-2JZ

Originally Posted by incomming
muahaha the benefits of having a chemist for a father, especially since he owns his own chemical company:

I, instead of vinegar, use DI water: pure water to use as a rinse-down after you wash your car. removes all the bad schtuff and keeps my pain and wheels from ever having waterspots.

Ha!

Holy sh*t, it worked!! I actually thought of this before I read your response. If dirty water is the cause of the mineral/calcium build up on the lip, then figured clean water, in my case purified water would do the trick....and it did.

I think the key here though, is that the wheel has to be very cool to the touch. For some reason, it take less effort to get rid of the dried water spot when its cool opposed to warm. I basically take a clean microfiber cloth and soak it with a bottle of purified water and then use it to wipe the lip.Don't forget to ring the cloth of any access water before you wipe the lip. The first thing you see is some water smears and fogs, but wait a couple of second and they will disappear along with the water spot! The temp here is 60 degree so that might help. The vinegar+water helped but it took me several hard wipes and it can get sticky.

I was surprised and relieved. Now no more water spots on my rims.

I have another advice. Never wipe your lip with any kind of dry cloth. Even with microfiber, the lip scratches very easily. So that means, I don't recommend waxing them.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:45 PM
hiz-n-herz

After washing my car, I made sure I dried out as much water as I can on my new Volks wheel(gts). So everything seems to be all nice and dry, until I go out driving and then there were water drip/spots on the lip when I got home.

Some spots have already dried up and I can't seem to get them out. Anyone know how? How can I avoid water spots getting on my rims after a wash?
I usually dry my car, go drive it around the block (on the expressway), and immediately come back and dry anything else off again. just be carefull to blot any water off after driving because you _can_ pick up dirt just from driving.

Hard water is nazzzzty.... I also never wash my car in the sun. Always in the shade.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:47 PM
hiz-n-herz

I have another advice. Never wipe your lip with any kind of dry cloth. Even with microfiber, the lip scratches very easily. So that means, I don't recommend waxing them.

Huh? I have not installed my wheels yet. anyone know if the AME circular spec-r lip has a clear-coat on it? I know it's highly polished.

I figured microfiber would be safe...
Old 11-09-2007, 11:28 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
anyone know if the AME circular spec-r lip has a clear-coat on it?
Yes they are polished and clear coated.

You can do more damage washing the rims than drying them. If you catch a piece of gravel in your sponge, washcloth, etc, its real easy to drag it across the lip without knowing and creating hairline scratches. Once the wheel is totally clean a microfiber towel isn't going to do any damage. I buff mine to a nice shine and on occasion put some Zaino on them inside and out.

Last edited by ___DJK___; 11-09-2007 at 11:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Water spots on Volk's anodized lip.....Damn Rays!