Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

dead battery, cant get in car????

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:16 AM
travismaser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dead battery, cant get in car????

ok so i just got home today from a six month deployment...well i left my car with my buddy and everything was fine till last week when his dad moved the car....somehow he locked the car up and musta left the lights on or somehting...so now i guess when they try and unlock the car and open the door...theycant????

does anyoine know what to do??? is it because the window is sopposed to lower as you open the door, and with a dead battery it wont??

im going to go to his house tomarro and see what i can do but yea...i searched for this problem and couldent find anyone with it haha
Old 12-15-2008, 02:05 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you tried using the key to open the door (not the FOB)? I can't see how that would not work.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:21 AM
travismaser

Originally Posted by teh215
Have you tried using the key to open the door (not the FOB)? I can't see how that would not work.
im going up to try that today...like i said...i just got home and im just going off what they are telling me...they said they tryed that and the window wont come down that quarter inch to let the door open????

i didnt think the window went up into the seal tho??? does it??
Old 12-15-2008, 08:57 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, the window is at it's maximum height. Once you unlock the door, you should push downward on it as hard as you can before you try to swing it open. Open it slowly and it shouldn't damage the trim strip above the door opening.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:39 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, how many milies?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:51 AM
citymunky

My did the same thing after I came back form Deployment, but I lowed my window just in
case, along with the hood popped. My downfall was that I forget to disconnect the battery.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:00 PM
travismaser

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Yes, the window is at it's maximum height. Once you unlock the door, you should push downward on it as hard as you can before you try to swing it open. Open it slowly and it shouldn't damage the trim strip above the door opening.
yea that would prolly work...if the car would unlock hahaha....
Old 12-15-2008, 12:51 PM
travismaser

so just an update...im at my buddys house (where the car is) and yes...my friend is not out of his mind....the car will not unlock!

so right now i am trying to get an emergency road service to come help me....this is rediculous!!!

i called nissan by the way and they said they have never heard of this happening on the z...but some of the other cars in the lineup have had the problem.....
Old 12-15-2008, 03:47 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

It sounds like you're going to have to find a way to trip the hood latch to get it open to charge/replace the battery.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:23 PM
travismaser

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
It sounds like you're going to have to find a way to trip the hood latch to get it open to charge/replace the battery.
we tryed that for a lil while because thats what the nissan tech said to try....but we couldent get it...so after a tow truck (failed because we couldent get the car on the truck) and a locksmith ( couldent get the door open) we finally got a guy who knew what he was doing and got the door open....now i just cant get the car to start....i think the battery is just toast!

so we have the car sitting on a charger right now and we are going to retry it in the morning

lets cross our fingers!!!!!

P.S. after i got the car on a charger i tryed to lock and unlock the door with the key and it worked....so yes...the car does have to have battery supply for the locks to work.....
Old 12-16-2008, 03:25 AM
travismaser

ok.....the car is running as of right now.....lets see how long this battery lasts now hahaha

thank you guys for the little bit of info i got
Old 12-16-2008, 03:28 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Old 12-17-2008, 02:37 PM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Old 12-18-2008, 08:32 AM
leg killa

welcome back dude..
Old 01-21-2017, 07:07 AM
sajazzman007
DIY'er Unite

Originally Posted by travismaser
we tryed that for a lil while because thats what the nissan tech said to try....but we couldent get it...so after a tow truck (failed because we couldent get the car on the truck) and a locksmith ( couldent get the door open) we finally got a guy who knew what he was doing and got the door open....now i just cant get the car to start....i think the battery is just toast!

so we have the car sitting on a charger right now and we are going to retry it in the morning

P.S. after i got the car on a charger i tryed to lock and unlock the door with the key and it worked....so yes...the car does have to have battery supply for the locks to work.....
just returned from deployment and the same thing happened to me. Can you please explain how they got into the car?
Old 01-21-2017, 07:27 AM
Logiqal

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You need to spray some wd40 into the keyhole. When the manual key entry is not used for a while, they tend to bind a bit.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:08 PM
Mason Crain

Default How'd he do it

Originally Posted by travismaser

I'm having the same issue and I have a c west long nose front end so I can reach the hood latch but dont know how to get it to release so hood latch would work
Old 02-08-2019, 05:09 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

he hasnt logged in for 5.5 years.... dont hold breath for him to answer
Old 02-19-2019, 09:51 AM
karlschneider

The key lock is not mechanical, it's just a key operated electric switch. I know because I just replaced the broken door handle/latch on my 04 350z. I was looking for an answer to the original question because my battery was almost completely dead...it did unlock the door but wouldn't even turn over the starter! I was thinking if I had let it sit a couple more days it would have been a big problem!
Old 02-19-2019, 09:57 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

i read on corvetteforum, some of them have been jacking up the car to get to the starter and putting the hot lead of jumper cables on it to get it open

Quick Reply: dead battery, cant get in car????