Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Problem - Cruise control SET light blinks continously

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 04:29 PM
akuma69

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Problem - Cruise control SET light blinks continously

hey guys i have a issues with my 05 350z. When i turn on cruise control, the SET light keeps blinking. And the cruise control never engages. The issue only occurs sometimes.

SET only blinks when i turn on cruise control.

Got this from google:

When the ECM detects any of the following conditions, the ECM will cancel the cruise operation and inform the driver by blinking indicator lamp.
Engine coolant temperature is slightly higher than the normal operating temperature, CRUISE lamp may blink slowly.
When the engine coolant temperature decreases to the normal operating temperature, CRUISE lamp will stop blinking and the cruise operation will be able to work by pressing SET/COAST switch or RESUME/ACCELERATE switch.
Malfunction for some self-diagnoses regarding ASCD control: SET lamp will blink quickly.

So im guessing its the last one. SET lamp blinks continously.

I've noticed the issue does not happen on cold days (even if i drive the car hard). The issue does happen more on hot days. And if i turn off the car and on after a while, the issue is gone. So i'm guessin its something to do with temperature?

Any ideas guys on the issue?

Last edited by akuma69; 11-11-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:33 PM
akuma69

Originally Posted by akuma69
hey guys i have a issues with my 05 350z. When i turn on cruise control, the SET light keeps blinking. And the cruise control never engages. The issue only occurs sometimes.

Got this from google:

When the ECM detects any of the following conditions, the ECM will cancel the cruise operation and inform the driver by blinking indicator lamp.
Engine coolant temperature is slightly higher than the normal operating temperature, CRUISE lamp may blink slowly.
When the engine coolant temperature decreases to the normal operating temperature, CRUISE lamp will stop blinking and the cruise operation will be able to work by pressing SET/COAST switch or RESUME/ACCELERATE switch.
Malfunction for some self-diagnoses regarding ASCD control: SET lamp will blink quickly.

I've noticed the issue does not happen on cold days (even if i drive the car hard). The issue does happen more on hot days. And if i turn off the car and on after a while, the issue is gone. So i'm guessin its something to do with temperature?

actually scratch that. I started after coming back from work and the issue happend within 5 minutes. So I doubt its to do with heat.

Last edited by akuma69; 11-13-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:34 PM
akuma69

http://www.350z-uk.c...ights-flashing/

"
This all links back to the clutch pedal (microswitch):

Faulty microswitch = no start, as the clutch needs to be depressed.

Faultly microswitch = flashing cruise light, as the clutch is part of the cruise system.

"
Old 11-13-2013, 03:03 PM
akuma69

Noticed following behaviour...

* start the car, press cruise control on/off button, CRUISE light turns on. SET is not blinking. CRUISE stays on, and i can use cruise control by pressing SET. I can se cruise control like this for a long time.

* But, once i turn off cruise control via the button, CRUISE light turns off, SET turns off. When I drive like this for 3-5 minutes, turn cruise control on, the CRUISE light comes on, but the SET light keeps blinking. Turn off cruise, SET stops blinking. SET only blinks when cruise is on.

* The only way to fix the issue is to pull over, stop the car, and restart it, and i can start using cruise again.

Any idea what the issue is guys?
Old 11-26-2013, 02:47 PM
akuma69

*bump*
Old 04-18-2014, 09:27 AM
lrodish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem

I have the same problem. Ounce set light flashes, the cruise fails to work. The only way to"reboot" cruise is to turn engine off and restart. Mine also fails sometimes when cruising.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:48 PM
G35 6speed

Default Blinking cruise control "set" light.

Originally Posted by akuma69

Got this from google:

Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm having the EXACT same issues with my 2004 G35?
Old 02-17-2019, 10:16 AM
Kevin Kearney

Default Cruise Set Light Flashing

Has anyone solved this? I have the same problem.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:33 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,062 Likes on 750 Posts

It could be a number of things. The Automatic Speed Control Device (ASCD) or "cruise control" operates based on various input to the ECM. Here's a breakdown from the FSM. If your coolant temp is good, it may be one of the switches/sensors or the ECM (hopefully not).

You can try cleaning the contacts for the pedals first since that seems to be the easiest. Here's a link to a DIY: https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...nd-adjust.html

Good luck!