Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official vinyl wrapping thread.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:50 AM
boamedt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wrapping the roof?

So im gona wrap my roof this week and i wanted to see what the general consensus is for the sides of the roof. Im meaning where the a pillar exterior trim meets the roof. Do most people undo those pillars and wrap underneath or do they just cut to them?.....i have searched and all i find is don's wrapping picture threads, nothing on the actual steps to do it, or what anyone does at tbis step...what do the shops do, which one?
Old 05-10-2015, 10:31 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts
Default Official vinyl wrapping thread.

Everyone, I fugured it was time for an official vinyl wrapping thread. Post here is discus interior, exterior wrapping projects, technique and grades of vinyl.

Wish I could contribute about it, but not my specialty. I'm definatly interested though, I may try do my bumpers shortly.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:10 AM
mattwesthaver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boamedt
So im gona wrap my roof this week and i wanted to see what the general consensus is for the sides of the roof. Im meaning where the a pillar exterior trim meets the roof. Do most people undo those pillars and wrap underneath or do they just cut to them?.....i have searched and all i find is don's wrapping picture threads, nothing on the actual steps to do it, or what anyone does at tbis step...what do the shops do, which one?
I don't know what shops do but I am in the middle of painting an 03 coupe and if u can getaway with not removing the trim I would go that route. They are very easy to break. I don't know if mine were brittle but I snapped one right in half. On the other hand you won't have to worry about seeing where it's trimmed If u remove them.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:52 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Hit up one of our vendors on here-
Don Nyugen in Cali, or a dude on here called Mr Sparco. Gl

Last edited by jhc; 05-12-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:50 AM
boamedt

I hit up don but im am still waiting for a response
Old 05-12-2015, 09:54 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

see above. do you know how to private message?
Old 05-12-2015, 12:22 PM
boamedt

Yes pmd himb and mr.sparco
Old 05-12-2015, 12:56 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

if it were me, i would pop them off. here is a vid showing how (along with other things)

Last edited by travlee; 05-12-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:27 PM
350zTTnTx

After

After

After

Before

I had my Z wrapped unfortunately I don't have a close up of the roof. But I had my roof wrapped in matte black. They didn't have to take anything off to do so. If the wrapper is experienced you shouldn't have a problem. The seals, will be nice And clean they have specific tools to do so. But I had mine done at kryptonite designs here in dallas tx.

Last edited by 350zTTnTx; 05-12-2015 at 02:00 PM. Reason: adding shop that did it
Old 05-12-2015, 01:41 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by 350zTTnTx

After

After

After

Before

I had my Z wrapped unfortunately I don't have a close up of the roof. But I had my roof wrapped in matte black. They didn't have to take anything off to do so. If the wrapper is experienced you shouldn't have a problem. The seals, will be nice And clean
Did you wrap over your X stickers by left headlight or is this total bs?
Old 05-12-2015, 03:10 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Either way works. If you are not detail oriented and don't have a steady surgical hand go under. If you are precise you can trim it without removing the pillar. Best way to know is if you have great penmanship and can draw a straight line freehand.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:33 PM
travlee
Master

if kenzi or kenzy... however you spell it... did it you did not get a quality job..... seen her work first hand
Old 05-12-2015, 06:51 PM
mr. sparco

I see several flaws in the black vinyl of the front bumper in the 2nd to last pic. A quality wrap should look as good as paint. I'd worry about scratches in the paint from trimming especially if the installer is not detail oriented and its at a shop that just wants to rush your car out to start the next in line.

Last edited by mr. sparco; 05-12-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:54 PM
boamedt

Well i said screw it and tried, almost made it and then ripped the vinyl. I actually work at a sign place and we do car wraps, just havent done a 350z yet. it is much different to work with than most other vinyl we use. Even though i ripped it, i still finished the rest that didnt rip and it came out good. But i had to take it off because of the rip. I ordered another 2 yards, thats an expensive mistake, and im going to retry on friday with another set of hands

haha oops!
Name:  20150512_184955.jpg
Views: 2778
Size:  104.0 KB

Last edited by boamedt; 05-12-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:05 PM
mr. sparco

Signage vinyl = calendared. Wrap = cast.

Seeing you're in Ca, you probably ripped it because its been cold out. Better to do it in a temperature controlled garage. The vinyl rarely tears when its warm.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:12 PM
boamedt

Thats what my boss said. Unfortunately no garage and we did it at 6pm after work today....lessons learned
Thanks for the advice mr.sparco, don just wanted to sell me wrap and offered no help
Old 05-12-2015, 07:17 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thats what my boss said. Unfortunately no garage and we did it at 6pm after work today....lessons learned
Thanks for the advice mr.sparco, don just wanted to sell me wrap and offered no help
He's legit. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2015, 08:17 PM
Don Nguyen
Vendor - Former Vendor

I did offer help. All of my materials that I sell include DIY instructions to help the customer with the install.

Sorry if you felt like I offered no help, but you also did not disclose in your PM that you are a signage/car wrap shop yourself looking for information.

The 350z is one of the easiest roofs that you can wrap out there.

-Don

Last edited by Don Nguyen; 05-12-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:33 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
I see several flaws in the black vinyl of the front bumper in the 2nd to last pic. A quality wrap should look as good as paint. I'd worry about scratches in the paint from trimming especially if the installer is not detail oriented and its at a shop that just wants to rush your car out to start the next in line.
we saw the same thing, the G37 that i saw she did was horrible, edges not wrapped, peeling in various places etc. when i asked the guy how long he had it on he said like 4 months, i was expecting him to say a couple years

Originally Posted by Don Nguyen
I did offer help. All of my materials that I sell include DIY instructions to help the customer with the install.

Sorry if you felt like I offered no help, but you also did not disclose in your PM that you are a signage/car wrap shop yourself looking for information.

The 350z is one of the easiest roofs that you can wrap out there.

-Don
i love it when a vendor calls someone out. why would he offer to help you if you are not buying his product.... he does it to make some money ya know
Old 05-13-2015, 04:04 AM
350zTTnTx

Originally Posted by jhc
Did you wrap over your X stickers by left headlight or is this total bs?
Not sure what you mean total bs????
My car is wrapped in blue camo, lol and the "x" sticker is actually an NTX speed and machine shop decal, they are the ones that built my Z.

To the guy criticizing her job, she did really well. I'm pleased with it, 100%. in her defence a racoon tried to make a nest in my car specifically the front bumper. I have scratches and dents and chew marks going through parts of it. So she had a little bit of a task to deal with. She offered to sand it down free of charge, I said "no thank you". I'm an not one for waiting. It took her 2 days to wrap it and I have no bubbles or tears or anything. So I'll wait for your reply and if you can do better for me I'll let your cash and your time speak for you?

Last edited by 350zTTnTx; 05-13-2015 at 04:11 AM. Reason: didn't finish

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official vinyl wrapping thread.