Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS readout on 2007-09 models

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 02:19 PM
patrickoneal

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default TPMS readout on 2007-09 models

I've got a 2007 350z Roadster, and it always bothered me that Nissan did away with the individual tire pressure readout on the trip computer on the center triple gauge. The idiot light sucks because I'd really like to know if I have 28 pounds in a tire, or if it's like 15 psi... there's a big difference in needing to air up when and where it's convenient, or to fix it immediately. It also sucks to have to check all four tires because the idiot light doesn't tell which one is low. I knew the pressures were available, because I can pull them up on my laptop with my Consult-III.

I did a bit of research and found that the TPMS sensors talk to the keyless entry receiver, that in turn talks to the BCM, which is connected to the A/C amp, which talks to the cluster, which is finally connected to the center triple gauge. The BCM is the only year specific part in the system, AFAIK. People have swapped in the console and center dash from 06-08 models into their earlier Zs, and the required A/C amp for the new climate controls plays nice with everything. I saw that one person that did the swap and lost the TPMS display because he used 2008 center gauges... and that he swapped them back out for his older set.

This got me thinking about going the other way. I swapped in a set of center gauges from a 2005 Touring model, and now have access to individual tire pressures on my 2007 350z. This is plug and play, and looks to work exactly as expected. I think the pressure display is simply disabled in software on the 07-09 trip computer, because the "PSI" led is there, you just can't switch to that mode on the factory trip computer.

I got mine on ebay for a little less than $60, I could have saved a few bucks, but the seller had the VIN listed and I wanted to make sure I got one old enough to have the TPMS functionality. In hindsight, the older style with TPMS readout have a sticker that says CD000M0, whereas the 2007-2009 is EV00A. The plastic lens is held on by a couple of phillips head screws, so one could save a few more dollars buying one with a hazed over scratched up lens and swapping that part out.

TLDR: If you want individual TPMS pressure readout on your 2007-09 Z, just swap out the center gauges with a set from 2003-2006(I went with 2005 just to be sure).

Last edited by patrickoneal; 12-03-2015 at 02:26 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by patrickoneal:
blufc3s (12-04-2015), Depravity (12-03-2015), icer5160 (12-03-2015), n0smoke (12-07-2015), verdict. (12-03-2015), zakmartin (12-03-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-03-2015, 02:23 PM
Depravity

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Wow that's amazing, literally plug & play. Thank you OP for posting that up, I'll have to order one ASAP
The following users liked this post:
patrickoneal (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 02:30 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Damn this thread wasn't what I was expecting... Way to experiment and glad you got the results you were hoping for.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:37 PM
patrickoneal

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Damn this thread wasn't what I was expecting... Way to experiment and glad you got the results you were hoping for.
Lol, yeah, there's a lot of stupid threads these days. I researched this as much as I could with the factory service manuals for 2006 and 2007, and searched around here to see what parts can be swapped from year to year. I chose not to make a thread until I got the part and confirmed my suspicions
Old 12-03-2015, 02:55 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

You've got to be kidding! Too easy. I'm going to be swapping out my center panel anyway, so this just got added to my list of things to do. Thanks OP! BIG Thanks!

EDIT:

One question: Doesn't the 2005 redline at 6800 RPMs (I'm pretty sure that's the case on the rev-up?) The 07-09 redlines at 7500 RPMs. When you're setting your rev light on the gauge, can you go up to 7500 or does it top out at a lower redline?

Last edited by zakmartin; 12-03-2015 at 03:01 PM. Reason: redline question
Old 12-03-2015, 03:03 PM
patrickoneal

Originally Posted by zakmartin
You've got to be kidding! Too easy. I'm going to be swapping out my center panel anyway, so this just got added to my list of things to do. Thanks OP! BIG Thanks!

EDIT:

One question: Doesn't the 2005 redline at 6800 RPMs (I'm pretty sure that's the case on the rev-up?) The 07-09 redlines at 7500 RPMs. When you're setting your rev light on the gauge, can you go up to 7500 or does it top out at a lower redline?
That was my first concern actually, after whether TPMS would work. The 2005 guage defaulted to 6800 rpms when I first powered it up, but it can be set to something like 8000. I just set it to 7500, and I'm good to go.
The following 2 users liked this post by patrickoneal:
Depravity (12-03-2015), zakmartin (12-07-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 03:07 PM
Depravity

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by patrickoneal
That was my first concern actually, after whether TPMS would work. The 2005 guage defaulted to 6800 rpms when I first powered it up, but it can be set to something like 8000. I just set it to 7500, and I'm good to go.
That's great news! Just for clarity, it doesn't matter if its from an 03, 04, 05, or 06? I'll be doing this on my '07 ASAP if that's the case
Old 12-03-2015, 03:14 PM
patrickoneal

Originally Posted by Depravity
That's great news! Just for clarity, it doesn't matter if its from an 03, 04, 05, or 06? I'll be doing this on my '07 ASAP if that's the case
I used an 05 gauge as I knew what I was getting with the VIN listed, but I think they're all the same through 2006. Here's the part at courtesy(don't pay that much, lol):

http://www.courtesyparts.com/oe-nissan/24845cd000

They show it fitting 2003 through 2007 models(up to 11/06 manufacture date). I don't know what's up with the 2007 thing... mine was made much later than November of 2006, maybe there were some leftover non-HRs sold as 2007 models?
Depravity (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 03:20 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Great info, OP, except when attempting to appeal to old guys like me.... I have this...

...and use it religiously. I want my 38/36 F-R *exactly* 38/36.

Then again, I NEVER change the display on my dash either. It ONLY reads "MPH", all of the important data is on the center tach and pod gauges for reading on straightaways.

Heh heh.....

But that's really good info. There was another thread on this recently so your tips will be appreciated by a lot of '07+ owners.

Last edited by MicVelo; 12-03-2015 at 03:22 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MicVelo:
35th4me (12-03-2015), KingBaby (12-03-2015), patrickoneal (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 03:27 PM
patrickoneal

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Great info, OP, except when attempting to appeal to old guys like me.... I have this...
I hear you, I should keep up with mine better. My summer tires seem to lose air when the weather cools off here, but it can be freezing one day and 75 degrees the next day, so I keep the summer rubber on there and drive on nice days. The threshold for the idiot light is 28psi, and I might just drive home in the pouring rain at 28psi in one tire if it isn't too far, but the idiot light makes me worry that it's actually much lower than that(dangerously low). That, and deleted features just **** me off anyway
Old 12-03-2015, 03:55 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I hear you, I should keep up with mine better. My summer tires seem to lose air when the weather cools off here, but it can be freezing one day and 75 degrees the next day, so I keep the summer rubber on there and drive on nice days. The threshold for the idiot light is 28psi, and I might just drive home in the pouring rain at 28psi in one tire if it isn't too far, but the idiot light makes me worry that it's actually much lower than that(dangerously low). That, and deleted features just **** me off anyway
FWIW, the TPMS is still working regardless of a lack of individual tire readout on the dash. It's still looking for 25% deviation from specified pressure so when the light comes on, it DOES become guess work (or gawd forbid, manual checking, laff...) to check which one is off by that 25%.

Part of the reason for doing away with the individual reading is the switchover from direct TPMS to indirect, which uses an algorithm based on the car's speed sensors (partly) to detect the changes in pressure. To that end, it is a LITTLE less accurate from actual pressures read with direct TPMS but sufficient for the pressure delta warning.

This doesn't mean anything WRT this particular topic but - at least for me - it's nice to know what precipitated the changeover on the dash.

Do appreciate your doing the research! We an put this one down as "RESOLVED".
Old 12-03-2015, 04:03 PM
patrickoneal

I just went out for a drive, and aired up with the automatic machine at the 711... It must be accurate, I'm reading 35psi on all four wheels now.

The only thing that concerns me is whether the addresses of the tpms data were changed in 2007. I need to let a few pounds of air out of each tire, one at a time to confirm that front left is reading as front left, front right as front right, etc. I don't think I'll mess with it tonight, but definitely this weekend. If there is some mismatch, I can just reprogram the tpms sensor positions to fix it. Hopefully that's not an issue though.

How is this supposed to work anyway? Is the top pressure the left side and the bottom the right?
Old 12-03-2015, 04:11 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I just went out for a drive, and aired up with the automatic machine at the 711... It must be accurate, I'm reading 35psi on all four wheels now.

The only thing that concerns me is whether the addresses of the tpms data were changed in 2007. I need to let a few pounds of air out of each tire, one at a time to confirm that front left is reading as front left, front right as front right, etc. I don't think I'll mess with it tonight, but definitely this weekend. If there is some mismatch, I can just reprogram the tpms sensor positions to fix it. Hopefully that's not an issue though.

How is this supposed to work anyway? Is the top pressure the left side and the bottom the right?
Good question..... probably in the manual somewhere.

I've been pondering that very question in my wife's (mine too I guess) Highlander. She's got a digital readout showing FIVE pressure figures. I'm guessing the first one is the spare cuz it's always MUCH higher than the rest. (And it still shows this after tire rotation and alignment+pressure checks at dealer yesterday.)

The rest going down the display is anyone's guess. Hahahaha.

We could do one of two things:

1. RTFM (for those that don't get that, "Read The F'n Manual") or....

2. Get out and match actual gauge pressures with the readout after deflating one of the tires to determine which is the low.

I suspect (from my shop mgr days) that it's clockwise and top-bottom from FL.... to FR to RR to LR. Don't quote me on that though.

Too lazy for either. I'll stick to my manual gauge.

Mic
Old 12-03-2015, 04:24 PM
patrickoneal

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Good question..... probably in the manual somewhere.

I've been pondering that very question in my wife's (mine too I guess) Highlander. She's got a digital readout showing FIVE pressure figures. I'm guessing the first one is the spare cuz it's always MUCH higher than the rest. (And it still shows this after tire rotation and alignment+pressure checks at dealer yesterday.)

The rest going down the display is anyone's guess. Hahahaha.

We could do one of two things:

1. RTFM (for those that don't get that, "Read The F'n Manual") or....

2. Get out and match actual gauge pressures with the readout after deflating one of the tires to determine which is the low.

I suspect (from my shop mgr days) that it's clockwise and top-bottom from FL.... to FR to RR to LR. Don't quote me on that though.

Too lazy for either. I'll stick to my manual gauge.

Mic
I just rtfm... The 2006 manual that is. Apparently it's a secret:

You can also check the pressure of all tires
(except the spare tire) on the trip computer.
The order of the tire pressure figures dis-
played on the screen does not correspond
with the actual order of the tire position. See
“Trip computer” in the “2. Instruments and
controls” section.

I'll figure it out
Old 12-03-2015, 05:03 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I just rtfm... The 2006 manual that is. Apparently it's a secret:

You can also check the pressure of all tires
(except the spare tire) on the trip computer.
The order of the tire pressure figures dis-
played on the screen does not correspond
with the actual order of the tire position. See
“Trip computer” in the “2. Instruments and
controls” section.

I'll figure it out
Well, isn't that just special? Hahaha!

But ya, it kinda goes along with what I believe in.... idiot light or digital readout.... if it says something's low, gotta go check all four anyways.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:16 PM
icer5160

Received 398 Likes on 299 Posts

Hey Patrick,

I have an 06 and the Top reading is actually the right side with the Bottom being the left. Notice the little arrow in the picture (Mutli-display)? I'm not sure if this is a coincidence, but it points left for the bottom PSI value. I have tested this and confirmed it is correct/accurate when doing the manual TPMS relearn procedure found here:
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...ring-tpms.html

Awesome write up! Great to see people still contributing and experimenting. Now I just need to see if my spare waterfall/cluster I purchased from a recycling yard is from a pre-2007 350Z!
-Icer

Last edited by icer5160; 12-03-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:26 PM
patrickoneal

Originally Posted by icer5160
Hey Patrick,

I have an 06 and the Top reading is actually the right side with the bottom being the left. Notice the little arrow in the picture? I'm not sure if this is a coincidence, but it points left for the bottom PSI value. I have tested this and confirmed it is correct/accurate.
-Icer
Thanks for the info. When I aired up, the front left tire took the most air, and the bottom front number was the lowest on the display prior to that. Maybe the Japanese like to start with the front right tire because they put the steering wheel on the wrong side
Old 12-03-2015, 05:27 PM
icer5160

Received 398 Likes on 299 Posts

That's exactly what I was thinking! Much easier to just use the same software/programming vs. re-engineering something so basic for LHD countries.
-Icer
Old 12-03-2015, 05:35 PM
patrickoneal

Originally Posted by icer5160
That's exactly what I was thinking! Much easier to just use the same software/programming vs. re-engineering something so basic for LHD countries.
-Icer
Well, they do have to build two different gauges, otherwise they'd point at the passenger here. But, the software is probably the same, so likely you're correct. More of a joke than anything on my part. I was once talking cars with an Australian(love those holden utes), and I asked him if they drive on the wrong side of the road because of the coriolis effect.
icer5160 (12-03-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 04:08 AM
verdict.
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 648 Likes on 491 Posts

Great info and research, OP! I'm sure a lot of members can benefit from this.
patrickoneal (12-04-2015)

Quick Reply: TPMS readout on 2007-09 models