Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

FSM says of nuts, "replace after every disassembly"??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 03:22 PM
arficus

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default FSM says of nuts, "replace after every disassembly"??

There are many nuts for which the FSM specifies "replace after every disassembly". Since I just replaced a rear subframe, I'm thinking specifically of many nuts holding rear suspension together and driveshaft/axle nuts. Anyone have any real world experience to backup the importance of this? I'm guessing it has something to do with nut retaining proper retention with given torque? Still, hard to imagine them coming loose...
Old 04-22-2017, 04:40 PM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

I think a lot of thease nuts are lock nuts. After you put them on once, they deform and lose their anti vibration feature.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:56 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by arficus
There are many nuts for which the FSM specifies "replace after every disassembly". Since I just replaced a rear subframe, I'm thinking specifically of many nuts holding rear suspension together and driveshaft/axle nuts. Anyone have any real world experience to backup the importance of this? I'm guessing it has something to do with nut retaining proper retention with given torque? Still, hard to imagine them coming loose...
- Those nuts with the nylon/plastic locking insert, once put back on can be heated with a small benzoil torch at a low setting to ''soften'' the nylon/plastic to reassert their locking properties again(that's if there's still some of that material left inside the nut)... But if you don't want to go through with all that, or once installed they're too difficult to get to with that method, you're just going to have to replace them with new ones.

Last edited by Atreyu'z 350; 04-22-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:21 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

None of the guys have nylon... The ones they say to replace are the driveshaft and axle... Pretty sure they say the steering joint also... Ive removed them all and have not replaced any of them... I did use blue lock right on the driveshaft bolts...

Ive replaced the subframe bushings and differential bushings... Have re used all nuts so far without any issues.

I did strip a end link but that I replaced... And I did replace a few bolts that has so much rust on them I was impressed I even got them off.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:16 PM
arficus

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, none of the nuts I'm referring to have any nylon. According to G35 FSM nuts that shouldn't be reused include driveshaft, axle->stub, traction arm (radius rod), upper and lower control arms, and camber arm.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:24 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Autocorrect made me its *****.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:24 PM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

I am not talking about nylon lock nuts. Lock nuts can be all metal and are slightly oval or triangle shaped. They are used on the drive shafts and in my opinion should be replaced unless you plan on removing them again soon.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:13 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Why risk them coming loose over a few bucks worth of bolts??

IMO, too cheap to do it right, too cheap to own one.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:16 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by arficus
Yes, none of the nuts I'm referring to have any nylon. According to G35 FSM nuts that shouldn't be reused include driveshaft, axle->stub, traction arm (radius rod), upper and lower control arms, and camber arm.

- Why so apprehensive about replacing those lock nuts? Is it because you've already re-assembled everything with the old lock nuts and now you're second-guessing it because you didn't replace them with new ones?
- The FSM recommends that they are replaced once removed. I would just do that. It's for a good reason.
- The little bit of cash and time you'll save from not replacing them isn't worth you getting in an accident over.
- And about playing MacGuyver with nylocks.. It can be done IF you come across those. As for metallic ones, no. Replace.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:48 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Why risk them coming loose over a few bucks worth of bolts??

IMO, too cheap to do it right, too cheap to own one.
I wasn't too cheap I got fancy non generic lock tite... Came in fancy chap stick form.

But as for replacement of the bolts if you plan on changing then you better plan ahead because Nissan will need to order them for you...

My local dealership sucks so much last time I went to get an oil filer and crush washer they didn't have any.

Another question who replaces that pain in the *** crush washer every time?
Old 04-23-2017, 08:38 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
My local dealership sucks so much last time I went to get an oil filer and crush washer they didn't have any.

Another question who replaces that pain in the *** crush washer every time?
I had to re-use one once on one of my Bimmers and it leaked; so, don't take makin' a foo of me twice to learn to not be a cheap bastid. (I actually bought several spares but discovered I'd run out AFTER draining the crankcase.... that was very bright of me. Doy.)