Sponsored by:

XKGLOW led/rgb conversion kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 03:20 PM
the rook

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Default XKGLOW led/rgb conversion kit?

Has anyone installed this in a Z?
I have an 05'. I haven't found any particularly bad reviews on it but I have yet to see a 350Z with anything other than the LED strips on the outer edge of the headlight made by this company. Just curious if anyone out there is using this or knows of someone who has used this kid because price-wise it is far less expensive then having my headlights customized to be demon eye.
Thanks.

XKGLOW led/rgb conversion kit?-screenshot_20170424-061333.png
Old 04-24-2017, 03:34 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Do I really need to tell you that's pure crap, will never provide enough light to drive by, and is also surely not legal in any state?
Old 04-24-2017, 03:45 PM
the rook

Originally Posted by dcains
Do I really need to tell you that's pure crap, will never provide enough light to drive by, and is also surely not legal in any state?
Yeah I know very very little about lighting and electronics so I needed to ask. What would make it light inadequately?
Old 04-24-2017, 03:45 PM
the rook

And no inspection where I live. The legality is not my primary concern. Lol
Old 04-24-2017, 03:55 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Looked at the pic of the product, read the header of what it is...

And still don't know what it is.

Can only surmise it be one of those gimmicky color light things. So, no, still can't fathom why to use one.

I'm famous (in my mind at least) for saying "If it doesn't improve performance, it doesn't go on my car." That's why my car is so very plain-jane. I even nixed a shorty antenna that was in my shopping cart. All ten bucks worth. Laff....

Oh, and doesn't matter if there's no inspection; if it's not legal, 5-0 can still poo you over.

Last edited by MicVelo; 04-24-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:02 PM
the rook

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Looked at the pic of the product, read the header of what it is...

And still don't know what it is.

Can only surmise it be one of those gimmicky color light things. So, no, still can't fathom why to use one.

I'm famous (in my mind at least) for saying "If it doesn't improve performance, it doesn't go on my car." That's why my car is so very plain-jane. I even nixed a shorty antenna that was in my shopping cart. All ten bucks worth. Laff....
Lol. My shorty broke and is Jerry Rigged.

But from what I read it's a self cooling LED light. I'm assuming it is supposed to save the trouble of a full conversion. Plus it has the rgb (demon eye) in it as well. Demon eye installs are generally very expensive even if you choose to keep your stock headlight setup. A friend forwarded this to me and after reading some reviews and not finding a lot on the Z about it, I thought I'd ask.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:03 PM
the rook

I am hopeful that someone has personal experience with it on here. I will wait patiently :-)
Old 04-24-2017, 06:17 PM
dcains

There are NO aftermarket headlight LED "conversions" that are worth anything. Try it, and see.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:19 PM
APTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

looks like its just a bulb that can change colors?
Old 04-25-2017, 03:23 PM
dcains

It's an LED that can change colors, but there are two basic problems with these sort of things.

The first is that the light source (meaning the actual LED emitter, HID bulb envelope, or halogen filament) must radiate light in the pattern the headlight reflector and lens were designed to require, and these don't (same with those HID kits for halogen headlights). This results in a different beam pattern than is required to drive safely, because illumination is limited both in brightness and position on the road. They also tend to scatter, rather than focus, the beam, causing a lot of glare for oncoming drivers. You must use the exact bulb type your headlamp requires, be it HID, halogen, etc., so buy the best high-quality bulbs.

Second, as already stated, there simply aren't any aftermarket LED's powerful enough for use as "conversions", assuming the requirements mentioned above could be met. Sure, there are some new cars which have LED headlights (Acura comes to mind), and even Laser (BMW), but the cost and engineering behind those headlights is still way beyond what we'll see in any aftermarket product for a long time.

Finally, if you've got a Z and want good headlights, the OEM BiXenon's from '06>, or the DEPO aftermarket alternatives, are what you want. Buy the best bulbs from Philips, Sylvania, Osram, and avoid the cheap Chinese-made knockoff bulbs. And, color temp should be 4300K-5500K for the best vision.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:40 PM
the rook

Originally Posted by dcains
It's an LED that can change colors, but there are two basic problems with these sort of things.

The first is that the light source (meaning the actual LED emitter, HID bulb envelope, or halogen filament) must radiate light in the pattern the headlight reflector and lens were designed to require, and these don't (same with those HID kits for halogen headlights). This results in a different beam pattern than is required to drive safely, because illumination is limited both in brightness and position on the road. They also tend to scatter, rather than focus, the beam, causing a lot of glare for oncoming drivers. You must use the exact bulb type your headlamp requires, be it HID, halogen, etc., so buy the best high-quality bulbs.

Second, as already stated, there simply aren't any aftermarket LED's powerful enough for use as "conversions", assuming the requirements mentioned above could be met. Sure, there are some new cars which have LED headlights (Acura comes to mind), and even Laser (BMW), but the cost and engineering behind those headlights is still way beyond what we'll see in any aftermarket product for a long time.

Finally, if you've got a Z and want good headlights, the OEM BiXenon's from '06>, or the DEPO aftermarket alternatives, are what you want. Buy the best bulbs from Philips, Sylvania, Osram, and avoid the cheap Chinese-made knockoff bulbs. And, color temp should be 4300K-5500K for the best vision.
That's makes perfect sense. And I very much like my current stock HID lights.

So do you have any opinions on the best way to add a demon eye to my stock HID?
Obviously there are several different options out there. I doubt I could successfully dismantle my light and rebuild it. The companies that offer to do that service with a depot aftermarket light want to put me under and amputate a limb as payment.

Anything else you know of?
Old 04-25-2017, 03:43 PM
APTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by the rook
The companies that offer to do that service with a depot aftermarket light want to put me under and amputate a limb as payment.
I doubt I could successfully dismantle my light and rebuild it.
^this is why it's expensive. It's a somewhat risky process if you're not careful.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:45 PM
the rook

Originally Posted by APTech
^this is why it's expensive. It's a somewhat risky process if you're not careful.
I get that and I don't mean any disrespect. It's just a lot of money to un-*** for headlights.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:47 PM
APTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

I get that and I don't mean any disrespect. It's just a lot of money to un-*** for headlights.
No disrespect taken, i don't do lights .

Just saying, there's some risk involved in it, so the cost reflects that.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:07 PM
dcains

That's makes perfect sense. And I very much like my current stock HID lights.

So do you have any opinions on the best way to add a demon eye to my stock HID?
Obviously there are several different options out there. I doubt I could successfully dismantle my light and rebuild it. The companies that offer to do that service with a depot aftermarket light want to put me under and amputate a limb as payment.

Anything else you know of?
You might try www.zledslights.com

I've got some of his lighting on my car, and it's top-quality and reasonably-priced.