Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brake reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 05:36 PM
Sebastian777

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brake reccomendations

I have a 35th Anniversary with Brembo brakes. It's my daily driver, I don't track the car, but do spirited driving on twisty, HILLY back roads. I may decide to autocross the car occasionally. As for brake component choices, I'm not looking for expensive overkill that's ill suited for my use, but I don't want to cheap out on a vital component either.

For pads, for my use, I can't seem to find any that are definitively better than Stoptech 309s. It seems half the people prefer Hawk HPS, half prefer Stoptech. Any input on this?

I'm guessing I won't see any benefit from drilled and/or slotted rotors and will just wear pads quicker. Is that correct? Is there a good reason to not just go with something like Centric Premiums? They're about $40 each on Amazon, I don't mind spending more, if I'll see a tangible improvement.

Will I see any benefit from using something other than generic DOT 3 brake fluid? I do live in KY, so I have 90+ degree humid summer days to contend with.

Lastly, other than Amazon, is there a good place to buy?

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:15 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

For vendors, check out shops like Z Speed, Rock Auto and Tire Rack to compare pricing and selection. Solid rotors offer the best value for street driven Zs and high quality DOT4 fluids usually offer a longer service life and boiling temp than most garden variety DOT3s. I like ATE Super Gold 200 for its combo of performance and price.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:56 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

I run Carbotech Bobcat in my NON-Brembo brakes and have had only one instance where I *almost* couldn't scrub enough speed off. And that had nothing to do with the brakes, it was an emergency slow & cut maneuver. I run those up against Stoptech slotted rotors and that's it.

Where I run up in the hills, not a huge demand on brakes but when really cookin', love these brakes.... great modulation, bite, ultimate stopping power. For track use, I'd go with one of their track formulated pads, like XP10, 12, 16, etc. or look at others.

I'm not a huge fan of Hawk. They work but they get noisy and dust like crazy - at least my experience.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:30 AM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebastian777
I have a 35th Anniversary with Brembo brakes. It's my daily driver, I don't track the car, but do spirited driving on twisty, HILLY back roads. I may decide to autocross the car occasionally. As for brake component choices, I'm not looking for expensive overkill that's ill suited for my use, but I don't want to cheap out on a vital component either.

For pads, for my use, I can't seem to find any that are definitively better than Stoptech 309s. It seems half the people prefer Hawk HPS, half prefer Stoptech. Any input on this?

I'm guessing I won't see any benefit from drilled and/or slotted rotors and will just wear pads quicker. Is that correct? Is there a good reason to not just go with something like Centric Premiums? They're about $40 each on Amazon, I don't mind spending more, if I'll see a tangible improvement.

Will I see any benefit from using something other than generic DOT 3 brake fluid? I do live in KY, so I have 90+ degree humid summer days to contend with.

Lastly, other than Amazon, is there a good place to buy?

Thanks.
I have a '06 w/ Brembo and asked the same question here *

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...em-rotors.html

Got some excellent feedback from some guys that "know"

Also, after some investigation, I went with Castrol synthetic DOT 4 fluid. In my opinion, it's one of the best. exceeds other DOT 4s - look it up - allow 2 liters for a good flush.
I combined the fluid w/ Z1 "premium" stainless brake lines (might as well change them also if you flush)

I have a year yet for pad replacement and am investigating them - maybe 5/6 auto x a year and DD. I'm looking for a good mix -low dust w/ good performance. Post up what pads you end up going with and your reason for the selection.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:16 PM
Sebastian777

So I'm leaning towards Stoptech Sport pads and Centric 125 rotors.

For the pads, can't really find anyone who has had both Stoptech and CarboTechs that can say the Carbos are better. Stoptechs seem to be less than half the price. Does anyone have experience with both with everything else being the same?

On the Centric High Carbons, is there a better option?

Car now has 70k on it. I've only had it for 8k, so I have no idea if the brake fluid has ever been flushed or not. Is there any good way to tell if I need to flush?

Since I won't be tracking the car, only back road runs and maybe the occasional autocross, is it really worth it to go with SS brake lines if the ones on the car are in good condition?

Last edited by Sebastian777; 04-27-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:58 PM
BrookZee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the pads, can't really find anyone who has had both Stoptech and CarboTechs that can say the Carbos are better. Stoptechs seem to be less than half the price. Does anyone have experience with both with everything else being the same?

Car now has 70k on it. I've only had it for 8k, so I have no idea if the brake fluid has ever been flushed or not. Is there any good way to tell if I need to flush?

Since I won't be tracking the car, only back road runs and maybe the occasional autocross, is it really worth it to go with SS brake lines if the ones on the car are in good condition?
If you want to check your break fluid to see if it needs flushed, its rather simple. Just take a peak at the reservoir. New fluid is clear, almost like water. As the break fluid gets near replacement time, the fluid will turn green in color and will be murky. good way to see how murky the fluid is is to shine a flashlight directly at the reservoir on one side and see if it shines through to the other. If it does, its probably fine. If you track your car you might want to be more picky. They actually make brake fluid test strips you can stick into the reservoir and then pull out and the strip will indicate the condition of the fluid. Had those test strips a while back at my work. Not sure what they cost but you could look into it maybe find some at auto zone or something. Alternatively you could just take your car to a shop and ask if it needs changed. They should tell you for free. Or if you prefer to be better safe than sorry just get it flushed. A shop should do it for about 100 dollars plus fluid cost which shouldn't add much more to the price. Goodluck
The following users liked this post:
Sebastian777 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 06:14 PM
Sebastian777

Thanks BrookZee, just found the strips are $10 for 2 on Amazon.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:37 PM
BrookZee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks BrookZee, just found the strips are $10 for 2 on Amazon.
Glad i could help. Instructions should come with the strips and its a pretty straight forward test. takes more time to open the hood then actually perform the test.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:39 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

I can't give you an apples to apples comparison because the StopTech pads I had were the Street pads (whatever they were called before they changed the names), not the Performance pads; and not in a Z. (But they were at least in Brembo calipers. Hahaha.)

In that capacity, they were great! Run against slot/drilled Centric/StopTech rotors, they stopped my Volvo very nicely and had decent modulation, good release. I do like the feel of the Carbotech's better but then, I like the brakes in my Z's better from the start, so no real help.

For less than track use, the Stop Tech pads are more than fine. As a matter of fact, was told that the Sport pads are little abusive on rotors and take a bit to warm up but can't imagine they can be that horrible - but sorry, no empirical data.

On stainless lines, you will FEEL the difference in the pedal. It's a bit firmer, not so "spongy". But really, you have to really be "in touch" with your car to swear by the stainless. All I can say is I have felt that diff in the many cars I've swapped 'em over. But in a blind test.... prolly not. It's that placebo thing.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:16 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Can't speak on the brake pads other than I really like G-LOC GS-1 (Carbotech 1521) I have on the Z.

I have had good results with the centric high carbon rotors on 3 cars now they would be the one I would recommend. I have also read good reviews for NAPA gold rotors but never used them.

Fully flush the brake fluid before you think about SS lines. If you think the pedal still feels mushy after flushing and the pads have had time to properly bed in then you could think about SS lines.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:30 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I've got the Centric/StopTech drilled/slotted and EBC Redstuff pads in my Brembo's. Great bite hot or cold, zero noise, and truly no dust, which is amazing. I sometimes go a month or longer without washing the Z, and the wheels are always clean. FWIW, I haven't noticed any faster pad wear with the drilled/slotted rotors, over the blanks I use previously, but that's not to say it's true of all rotor and pad combinations. We've got the same setup on my wife's Acura TL-S and when by old BMW is due, I'll install the same on it, too.
The following users liked this post:
carbuffguy (04-28-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 02:40 AM
g3rard

Stoptech pads provide good stopping power and have low dust.