Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Need help diagnosing Headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 04:06 AM
Rsperriko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help diagnosing Headlight problem

So I have a 2003 and I recently lost my passenger side inner fender. I went to the Nissan dealership yeaterday and it was raining and I ordered a new one. When I woke up this morning I noticed my low beams were not working. All other lights are fine. High beams work turn signals tail lights and everything else. Just trying to figure out if it's just a fuse for the low beams or a relay or what? I was thinking it could've burnt out the ballast being wet but would that cause both sides to stop working at the same time? Any help would be appreciated
Old 05-25-2017, 04:24 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

ballast

/thread
Old 05-25-2017, 04:53 AM
Rsperriko

Would that cause both sides to stop working? I'm just missing the passenger side inner fender. So if the one ballast is messed up neither side will work?
Old 05-25-2017, 05:49 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,057 Likes on 746 Posts

It could be a number of different things. If you're going to the dealership anyway, maybe they can run diagnostics real quick with their consult-II to pinpoint the problem.

Or, if you're up to it, check out LT-28 of the FSM if you have a multimeter. I suppose it's possible something as easy as the headlamp connectors were damaged since I imagine all sorts of debris was getting thrown in there without having a fender liner.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:34 AM
defend_cle

My guess would be ballast. Your low beams are the only thing running off the ballast (to my knowledge) so that would make sense. Could just be a loose connection or maybe the dealership jacked it up. Make them fix it.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:42 AM
Rsperriko

If it was just the passenger side ballast would it cause both sides to go out? I figured if that was the case only that one side would go out? Could it be something as easy as a fuse or relay? I'm at work didn't have a whole lot of time to try and fix it this morning
Old 05-25-2017, 11:32 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Yeah, check your fuse too. Your ballast probably shorted out when you drove it in the rain, which would trip your fuse, causing the drivers side to not work as well. They're located in the IPDM within your battery compartment. Just my .
Old 05-25-2017, 02:25 PM
icer5160

Received 398 Likes on 299 Posts

I'm not super familiar with the 03 headlamps, but aren't there supposed to be water-tight covers integrated into the headlamp housing that seal up the ballasts and other internal headlamp components?

At least for the 06+ headlamps, everything is essentially weather-sealed except for the harness plug and air breather port. Unless the headlamp was completely submerged, I don't see how the ballasts would short out.

-Icer
Old 05-25-2017, 05:16 PM
Rsperriko

Default Update

So I checked all the fuse and they all looked good. But I noticed a wire was loose when I got under and was checking everything out. It' looks like the igniters ground to me but not 100%. This is the wire that is loose, I have it taped up just so nothing shorts out. But I'm assuming it's the ground wire. Would this cause both sides to go out or just the side it came loose from?? I'm hoping this is my problem but I didn't have time to hook it back up today and check because it got dark on me.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:18 PM
Rsperriko

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
Yeah, check your fuse too. Your ballast probably shorted out when you drove it in the rain, which would trip your fuse, causing the drivers side to not work as well. They're located in the IPDM within your battery compartment. Just my .
i checked all the fuses because I didn't have a diagram for which ones were which but they all looked good.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:21 PM
Rsperriko

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
It could be a number of different things. If you're going to the dealership anyway, maybe they can run diagnostics real quick with their consult-II to pinpoint the problem.

Or, if you're up to it, check out LT-28 of the FSM if you have a multimeter. I suppose it's possible something as easy as the x
headlamp connectors were damaged since I imagine all sorts of debris was getting thrown in there without having a fender liner.

Could the the ground from the ballast to the igniter be the problem? I noticed the passenger side ground isn't connected it must of came loose. And would that cause both sides to not illuminate??
Old 05-28-2017, 03:59 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,057 Likes on 746 Posts

The pic you posted looks like the disconnected ground. When you connected it, did it light up when you tried it again?

I don't think that would cause both sides to not work. If the low HIDs on both sides don't work, then it sounds like the headlamp low relay or maybe the shared ground.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:06 AM
Rsperriko

Default Still not working after connecting that ground

Where is the shared ground located? I'm not any good with that diagram. I also tried to change the relay but couldn't get it out. I'll give it another shot today.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:19 AM
icer5160

Received 398 Likes on 299 Posts

Your best option to resolve this issue, is to remove the entire headlamp assembly. It looks like the loose wire you found terminates/grounds itself inside of the headlamp housing. For easier access and making your life a whole lot easier, removing the headlamp assembly is the best course of action IMO.

I would also compare with the driver's side to confirm.
-Icer

Last edited by icer5160; 05-30-2017 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Spelling correction.