Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Anyone has any experience running this type of oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 04:09 PM
myGspot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone has any experience running this type of oil cooler

Just like some others on this board I am looking to do my own oil cooler set up but running into issues with room behind the bumper. Came across this bar and plate oill cooler from mishimoto but no one seems to have any info on it. Has anyone seen or heard about people running this type of oil cooler? Looking to see if people saw any benefits or experienced significant pressure loss?

https://www.mishimoto.com/cross-flow...er-medium.html

Old 06-23-2017, 05:14 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Id be most concerned with getting a cooler that fits the easiest where you want to put it.

Also buying a quality cooler is critical to maximize the systems efficiency. People obsess about drain back issues and outlet configs. Just get your line sizing correct and everything will be fine. Look into Earls or Setrab.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:47 AM
myGspot

Originally Posted by guitman32
Id be most concerned with getting a cooler that fits the easiest where you want to put it.

Also buying a quality cooler is critical to maximize the systems efficiency. People obsess about drain back issues and outlet configs. Just get your line sizing correct and everything will be fine. Look into Earls or Setrab.
The cooler that I asked about is a Mishimoto one. I haven't heard any horror strories about their coolers in general, however this is a different type of cooler then what earl's or setrab use.

I seen them use it on a mustangs and focus RS but have yet to see it used in other applications.

The set up that i am doing is having a thermostatic sandwich plate with 10AN stainless steel braided lines (aeroquip lines/fittings). I wanted to put it into the grill opening as i have a large transmission cooler for 5at going in the lower left and steering on lower right.

Hence i was asking if anyone heard about the bar and plate type coolers?

Whats acceptable pressure loss to have with an oil cooler set up?
Old 06-24-2017, 06:16 PM
guitman32

It does sound like you are tight on space. -10 AN is what I use without issue.

Never used this one specifically, but there are many specifics re: the internal architecture of coolers aside from just "bar and plate vs plate tube and fin," that a specific comparison of both becomes as it relates to pressure drop becomes largely academic. Not to mention the relationship of cooler sizing is very important also.

Furthermore the likelihood that someone who used this core specifically would have meaningful pressure drop data is extremely small. Not just "my dash pressure gauge reads the same" kind of data obviously. If someone did, it would be pretty cool obviously.

I bet if you reached out to the manufactures they will be helpful.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:38 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I've always used the bar and plate type coolers, and cars I've had that came with OEM coolers also had that type. I'm under the impression they have more surface area and better heat transfer than the tube and fin type. I can speak from experience with regard to a/c condensors, which are obviously also heat exchangers. My old BMW 635 had an original tube and fin condensor, and very poor a/c performance. The big upgrade for these systems is to swap for a parallel-flow (bar and plate) condensor, and it makes the a/c actually usable.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:01 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by guitman32
Look into Earls or Setrab.
I like setrab for sure, if you dont mind a used one they are $20 - $100 all day long on ebay. I also like PWD and C&R ... but I'm preferential to NASCAR stuff.

AN10 lines seem large...larger line means slower flow, means more time in the cooler...it could be beneficial. I run 1/2" lines so were both in the ballpark.

I wouldnt worry about pressure drop on a single . I run two (albeit) smaller coolers and my oil pressure (measured at the OEM location, after ~6 feet of AN4 to a secondary filter, and at my turbos) are well within specification - I lose 5-10psi from the pump to the blowers.

Originally Posted by dcains
I'm under the impression they have more surface area and better heat transfer than the tube and fin type.
Surface area is important (I'm not saying it's not) but passive airflow to promote heat transfer should be the priority...If a 300 sq*inch cooler is stuck in a 150* engine bay it's performance will be far less than a 100 sq*inch cooler thats in passive airflow.

OP, you'll get much better performance if this cooler has passive airflow to AND from the cooler.

I don't know if this has been covered else-where - if you give 2sh!ts to lookup my coolers on my build page this will make more sense. It's not nearly as efficient as it could be as my coolers are angle to fit within a bumper (even though I have zero intention of adding a bumper). when I redo my mounting rack these coolers will be perpendicular to airflow.

Last edited by bealljk; 06-25-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:40 PM
guitman32

^Good info. 1/2" puts you at 8AN, so at least were ballpark. -10 is 5/8," which could make a difference in this application.

To add to bealljk's point, actually the main difference between a bar and plate cooler and your standard Setrab style (stacked plate and fin), internal architecture aside, is how air flow across the front of it.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:08 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I'm not as knowledgable with the two...time to google-box...
Old 06-26-2017, 09:05 AM
myGspot

GUITMAN32 - I tried reaching out to Mishimoto for help/info about their testing, but they were not helpful at all as they had no data to share. I did find some info on the same cooler being used on a mustangs and focus RS and apparently the guys on forums who did their own testing reported a 5-7psi drop. I dont know if their oil system is that much different than ours or even if thats a significant drop to be concerned about.

DCAINS - supposedly bar and plate does have better cooling property then tube and fin. At least from what i read up to now. Thats why i raised the question on here to see if anyone else had same mind set as me.

BEALLJK - Reason why i went with -10AN lines was due to other kits on the market having the same line sizes (mishimoto, stillen and z1) Whats acceptable pressure drop for our cars?
Since i have a G35, i am planing to put the cooler directly into the front grill. WHich should give me sufficient air flow for the cooler. Draw back to the bar and plate unit is that due to its beefier design it tends to block some air flow for condencer and radiator. I hope my Koyo will be up to the task to cope with cooling the car down. Maybe ill switch to 70/30 or 60/40 mixture.

Would a sandwich plate adaparter be a good location to monitor PSI and oil temp or should be it be measured at the line?
Old 06-26-2017, 10:18 AM
myGspot

Originally Posted by bealljk
I don't know if this has been covered else-where - if you give 2sh!ts to lookup my coolers on my build page
I looked at it. Crazy set up and always admire people who fab their own stuff. you sir took it to the next level.

I have a question... i want to run my oil PSI and temp gauges but trying to figure out what would be better place to get the most accurate readings. is it better to connect them to
and then

use the thermostatic plate after

i dont know if the oil flow through the thermostatic plate will be sufficient to get correct readings? or am i just being overly cautious?